Marantz 6013 5.1.4. - External Amp Necessary?

T

Twilight228

Audiophyte
Good Morning All,

Just setup a new receiver, and planning to repurpos some speakers that are sitting around to add height to my exiating 5.1 system (weird room shape, 7.1 not practical). I'm wondering if the Marantz would benefit from some support, and would very much appreciate any input.

System:
Marantz 6013 (replacing pioneer elite)
L/C/R - wall mounted Def Tech Mythos Eights (x3)
Rear Surrounds - Def Tech Mythos gems
Sub - custom enclosure TC Sounds 12" epic w/ 500w dayton plate amp (built into end table, it weights over 100 lbs, drinks are fine....)

Speakers laying around
Def Tech Gems [2nd pair not in use]
Def Tech UIW 94/A [9" ceiling speaker]

I think I want to use the UIW 94s as in-ceiling rears, and use the second set of gems as front height (mounted at ~ 9.5 ft, 12 feet from listening position).

Do toy guys think I'm on the right track, and if so should I add an amp? There is currently a Rotel 1075 available locally for a reasonable amout, i know its older.

Thanks in advance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good Morning All,

Just setup a new receiver, and planning to repurpos some speakers that are sitting around to add height to my exiating 5.1 system (weird room shape, 7.1 not practical). I'm wondering if the Marantz would benefit from some support, and would very much appreciate any input.

System:
Marantz 6013 (replacing pioneer elite)
L/C/R - wall mounted Def Tech Mythos Eights (x3)
Rear Surrounds - Def Tech Mythos gems
Sub - custom enclosure TC Sounds 12" epic w/ 500w dayton plate amp (built into end table, it weights over 100 lbs, drinks are fine....)

Speakers laying around
Def Tech Gems [2nd pair not in use]
Def Tech UIW 94/A [9" ceiling speaker]

I think I want to use the UIW 94s as in-ceiling rears, and use the second set of gems as front height (mounted at ~ 9.5 ft, 12 feet from listening position).

Do toy guys think I'm on the right track, and if so should I add an amp? There is currently a Rotel 1075 available locally for a reasonable amout, i know its older.

Thanks in advance.
This sort of questions for some reasons get asked almost every week regardless of how many times it has been written that the first step is to find out how much power you need in your set up. The reason is that if you only need say, 100 WPC for the L,C,R simultaneously to reach reference (cinema loud) level, then something like your Marantz AVR is all you need, and adding an amplifier like the Rotel RMB 1075 will likely not make any difference (0.375 dB)except for the 2 channel driven into 4 ohm (1.76 dB) in that unrealistic situation.

You need double the power to gain 3 dB, that is beginning to become noticeably louder. 8 to 10 dB is generally considered twice and loud. Below is from S&V's bench tests:

AVR-X3400H: (Note that S&V has not tested an equivalent Marantz AVR, but the SR6013 should be slightly more powerful than the AVR-X3400H)
- 176.6W into 4 ohm at 1% THD+N, 2 channel driven
- 106.1W into 8 ohm at 1% THD+N, 5 channel driven
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x3400h-av-receiver-review-test-bench

RB 1075
- 264 W into 4 ohm at 1% THD+N, 2 channel driven
- 131 W into 8 ohm at 1% THD+N, 5 channel driven
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/rotel-rmb-1075-5-channel-power-amplifier-measurments

Given that your SR6013 would come very close to the Rotel in terms of power output, if you do need more power, you should aim for something that is rated at least 200 W/350 W, into 8/4 ohm respectively.

To estimate your power need, below is an easy to use calculator for peak spl:
https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

T

Twilight228

Audiophyte
I wanted to thank you for taking it easy on me, while still answering the question again!

Apologies for not seeing the previous posts. I swear I read for hours, apparently poorly.

Thanks again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wanted to thank you for taking it easy on me, while still answering the question again!

Apologies for not seeing the previous posts. I swear I read for hours, apparently poorly.

Thanks again.
Really no big deal.

I'm sure PENG's statement wasn't targeted directly at you, but rather just letting you know that you are not the only one to ask this question - many people have the same question. :D

Do you need external amps to use with your AVR? Usually and probably NOT.

The only people who absolutely need to use external amps are the people who use separates like Pre-pros and Preamps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Thanks again.
As ADTG mentioned, it was just my general feeling about such hot topics that get asked all the time and there don't seem to be a sure fire way for people to see the typical and/or best responses without spending a lot of time to search them out. It was not directed to you at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis