Mar a Lago raided by FBI

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Trump is your party at this point. The Republicans of yesterday are not returning.
Max Boot, an Republican of yesterday, have been quite critical of Trump as well of his former party. Here is an recent opinion piece of his where he calls that which is fast becoming the dominant trend on the US right as "New Fascism".

I've already read about Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban visit to CPAC and find it quite disturbing.

>>>All you need to know about the state of the Republican Party today is what happened at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Dallas on Thursday. Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who has been destroying his country’s democracy, received a standing ovation less than two weeks after he gave a speech in Romania in which he endorsed the white supremacist “replacement theory” and denounced a “mixed-race world.”

One of Orban’s longtime advisers quit over what she described as a speech “worthy of Goebbels” before backtracking a bit. But Orban hasn’t recanted his repugnant views, and right-wingers in Dallas thrilled to his denunciations of immigration, abortion, LGBTQ rights and “the Woke Globalist Goliath.” He even excoriated Jewish financier George Soros, a Hungarian native, as someone who “hated Christianity.” The racist and anti-Semitic signaling was not subtle.
These Republican extremists are often described as the “New Right,” but the term doesn’t fit. The New Right was the movement in the 1960s-1970s that produced Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan. You can argue that the New Right helped lead to the present imbroglio, but it’s hard to imagine Goldwater or Reagan flashing Viktor Orban a thumbs-up, as Trump did.

Some other term is needed. “Christian nationalism” and “nationalist conservatism” have been bandied about, but the most apt phrase for this American authoritarianism is the New Fascism, [bold added] and it is fast becoming the dominant trend on the right. If the GOP gains power in Washington, all of America will be in danger of being Orbanized. <<<

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Fair enough we are in disagreement which there is nothing wrong with that I do respect your guys feelings and points even though I disagree. I guess it would be fair to say we will just have to let this play out and see which side is in the right.

I'll own it if I'm in the wrong
And I will hope you turn out to be right.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
And I will hope you turn out to be right.
And honestly I feel the same towards you and democrats. I would rather one party be successful for the people then just to oppose said party in spite over some type of foolish tribal mentality.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So much money has been wasted, they have the goods on TRump, lock him up or is the gov scared of the aftermath in Nov 2024, makes you wonder.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So much money has been wasted, they have the goods on TRump, lock him up or is the gov scared of the aftermath in Nov 2024, makes you wonder.
I can't imagine they came away with nothing. They have something on him. They wouldn't have done this otherwise. Im speculating here but Im thinking there is a legal process that has to be correctly followed so it will probably take some time before the public hears hear anything official.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry... I hate pulling from HuffPo. But this article points out another interesting tidbit that clearly defines the hypocrisy of the Right... Or maybe it's just that "since I made it Law it doesn't apply to me or my associates."
:confused:

Oh wait... that's still well within the definition of Hypocrisy.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry... I hate pulling from HuffPo. But this article points out another interesting tidbit that clearly defines the hypocrisy of the Right... Or maybe it's just that "since I made it Law it doesn't apply to me or my associates."

We need a special Schadenfreude Award emoticon for that.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I can't imagine they came away with nothing. They have something on him. They wouldn't have done this otherwise. Im speculating here but Im thinking there is a legal process that has to be correctly followed so it will probably take some time before the public hears hear anything official.
If you mean the search in Mar A Lago, they had at least one box of stuff, but I also heard much more was taken perhaps a dozen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you mean the search in Mar A Lago, they had at least one box of stuff, but I also heard much more was taken perhaps a dozen.
I've heard that originally drumph returned to the government 15 boxes from Mar a Lago he originally took/stole, and that an additional 12 boxes of stuff was removed (what the particular contents of either set of boxes not so much).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I've heard that originally drumph returned to the government 15 boxes from Mar a Lago he originally took/stole, and that an additional 12 boxes of stuff was removed (what the particular contents of either set of boxes not so much).
No, the content of some stuff is so highly classified that even the inventory is equally highly classified. Just Wow.
No matter what classification they have, it is government property, not personal property of his. And all this has been dragging on for year and a half with no end in sight.

I am just hearing that the 15 boxes recovered in January of this year, a year late, the inventory was at least 100 pages for the unclassified stuff and about 3 pages of classified inventory.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, the content of some stuff is so highly classified that even the inventory is equally highly classified. Just Wow.
No matter what classification they have, it is government property, not personal property of his. And all this has been dragging on for year and a half with no end in sight.
There were apparently discussions on drumphy returning some additional material a coupla months ago that seems not to have worked out. Then again if it is or is not classified (or de-classified by drumph) seems to be a further question. Perhaps the returned stuff had clues to what still remained? We know he wasn't particularly fond of records of his doings being recorded (like details of conversations with dudes like Putin)....and makes me wonder if the missing stuff from Jan 6 he had a hand in.....some public servant, eh?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

but what if he 'de-classified' a given document before turning over the presidency ? he has that right, no ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For the special Hypocrisy Division Schadenfreude Award:
View attachment 57229
I'm uncertain that schadenfreude is the correct term. To me there is nothing pleasurable or satisfying in any of this. Rather I find myself at a high level of consternation.

With the expectation that any legal issue involving Trump will ultimately find its way to the Supreme Court, I am in a high state of distrust over any possible judicial and legal outcome short of Trump being let loose to continue doing what he is doing. The fact he is known to play fast and loose with the rules doesn't even seem to matter.
As with this latest fiasco, you saw instantly how the Right instantly galvanized around him. One article pointed out how this damages Desantis' standing compared to the cult like reaction in support of Trump.
Moreover, we see repeatedly in several articles how the requirements for President and the laws barring future office holding are inconsistent.
To this last point I think it bears strong consideration that the Founders likely expected that anybody seeking Office at that level would be squeaky clean and nobody thought it needed to be spelled out so blatantly. But there are several other points like this in the Constitution where the simple answer is expressly stated and a more convoluted path is being argued (for example the State Elections gambit of removing the State Executive and Judicial branches from any electoral oversight in favor of placing it all in a gerrymandered Legislative control).

Regardless, it is still way too early in all of this, and the longer it goes unanswered only plays into the Megaphone's [read: MAGAphone's] hands.
We almost need to have DOJ impanel a Grand Jury at the TOP of the NEXT NEWS CYCLE (Monday) in order to give pause to the indignation on the Right.

It is interesting that there are a few silent voices from the Right, currently. Perhaps chief among them is McConnell. Of course, Biden and the White House are also playing this very close to the vest, as they should.

Even if Trump gets popped, I fear that it is not the end yet of this harrowing part in our Democracy. Trump will effectively be a martyr for the White Nationalist Social Conservative movement. It's sad, but I don't know what it will take to bring this destructive and fascist bent back from the brink. I guess it really depends on how much that percentage of the populace continues to think that their lives will somehow be enriched by creating a US Dictatorship.
By the count, there shouldn't be enough to overthrow the country, but it sure feels much closer to actuality than I ever thought we would see.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
but what if he 'de-classified' a given document before turning over the presidency ? he has that right, no ?
The report I saw said he had the right to de-classify but when did he do that, if at all, and how particularly, seems to be the questions.....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No. The president, as I understand it cannot unilaterally declare anything "unclassified."
Likewise, once leaving office, he no longer has any power of the Presidency, short of some Secret Service minders.

I think we know he was too busy and distraught with life after losing the election to petition other Federal Agencies to declassify his "mementos."
Oh...
Of course there's also his well known penchant for not giving two fcuks about any such bureaucratic BS in the first place as he is well know for destroying documents.

Anyway... there is also this from 2017 which may paint a more murky picture:

However, I'have yet to see any legal commentary that says he had any authority whatsover to remove classified documents to his private residence, especially on his way out the door as a PRIVATE CITIZEN.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Now the idiot is taking the fifth in a New York court room! Only a criminal needs to do this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis