Manufacturers power cables VS 3rd party power cables

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I would like to see a 3' $300 cable improve the quality of what could be several hundreds of miles of cheap copper and other unknown conductives between ones fuse box and the power plant.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I can explain this in layman's terms. Electronics work on direct current (DC). A power supply's job is to convert the alternating current (AC) from the wall outlet into DC that the internal circuitry can use. This is old technology and manufacturers are very good at producing a very clean and stable DC power supply. There are already components inside your amp to ensure that the DC supply does not introduce any noise into the system. Think about this logically for a moment. What could a power cable do that would change the quality of the DC voltage supplied by the power supply? Take that one step further. Think about the wiring from your breaker panel to the outlet. It's just 14 gauge romex and maybe 20 or 30 feet in length. How could replacing the last 3 feet of wiring between the breaker panel and your amp have any effect on the power supply? The short answer is that it doesn't. Open up your amplifier and look at the internal wiring that connects the power cord to the transformer inside the amp. It's the same material and gauge as the original power cord! You just spent $500 on 3 feet of magic cable, but then the wiring from your fancy cord to the transformer is plain old stranded copper wire. It's all BS really.
You're thinking of small houses- even my place has runs that are longer than 20'-30' in length and it's not very big. Most of the houses I work on have runs well over 100', some double that.

Since we're discussing surges, I worked on a new house (we did the Low Voltage) and when we came back after a few days, I saw that the electrician had run all of their Romex in the same stud spaces as the braided cable for lightning suppression. That would have been bad enough, but the Romex had even been bundled with it and secured with heavy wire ties. :eek:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You're thinking of small houses- even my place has runs that are longer than 20'-30' in length and it's not very big. Most of the houses I work on have runs well over 100', some double that.

Since we're discussing surges, I worked on a new house (we did the Low Voltage) and when we came back after a few days, I saw that the electrician had run all of their Romex in the same stud spaces as the braided cable for lightning suppression. That would have been bad enough, but the Romex had even been bundled with it and secured with heavy wire ties. :eek:
Yeah, even my small place has runs over 100'. I should have said meters / yards. ;)

Now there's a fire hazard! Ouch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis