Manualslib.com Microsoft Support Scam!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I often use the above site to get manuals, usually when helping members here.

I have used this site for years without incident. They have been a good source for manuals and you don't pay for them. Three days ago I went to the site to help a member with an older Pioneer receiver. I went on to that site, found the manual and looked at the index, when I clicked on the relevant page, a large red notice went up with white type, and a voice continuously repeated that my computer was insecure and had been locked for security reasons and not to turn off the computer as all data would be lost. The message contained a number to contact Microsoft to rectify the problem. I immediately recognized this as a scam and turned of my computer, which I had to do with the off button and not the mouse, as my computer was locked. Fortunately my computer did shut down and restarted again. Periodically it said that Windows Defender was disabled, which it was not.

Anyhow, I had my eldest son do a forensic analysis of my computer. He is chief software engineer and in charge of security for Lumi. He is experienced in forensics of computer systems.

He was able to trace the course of events including the page I was on, when the incident occurred. Anyhow as soon as the incident occurred I was sent to a site in Russia, and then to some radio station in California and then to a vast number of sites all over the place.

Anyhow it seems nothing has been left on this computer and I am in the clear.

On searching this according to Reddit, this site Manualslib.com has been known for this for at least 2 years, but obviously I was unaware.

My son did go to the site and to the page where this incident occurred with extreme care and protection and could not reproduce the hack yesterday.

I am posting this here, as I know other members have used this site as well. Unfortunately my advice has to be to stay away from this site.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On my portable PC, I occasionally get a message saying that my Windows Defender software is off. It also states that the additional Malwarebytes Premuim software is off as well.

When this happens, I never click on that message but I open the Malwarebytes software which is never off as the message says, and run a thorough scan. The scan always shows no threat found. I never have had a problem but I always do a scan as a precaution.

From now on, I'm going to verify the site I'm connected to when this happens again.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Process Explorer by sys internals is a great tool (owned now my M$ bust still free). Also make sure that a browser plug in didn't get installed, launch in private browsing mode without any plug in's to tshoot, and also there is Ctrl+Shift+I for the WebDev tools to check out what is going on behind the scenes.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I often use the above site to get manuals, usually when helping members here.

I have used this site for years without incident. They have been a good source for manuals and you don't pay for them. Three days ago I went to the site to help a member with an older Pioneer receiver. I went on to that site, found the manual and looked at the index, when I clicked on the relevant page, a large red notice went up with white type, and a voice continuously repeated that my computer was insecure and had been locked for security reasons and not to turn off the computer as all data would be lost. The message contained a number to contact Microsoft to rectify the problem. I immediately recognized this as a scam and turned of my computer, which I had to do with the off button and not the mouse, as my computer was locked. Fortunately my computer did shut down and restarted again. Periodically it said that Windows Defender was disabled, which it was not.

Anyhow, I had my eldest son do a forensic analysis of my computer. He is chief software engineer and in charge of security for Lumi. He is experienced in forensics of computer systems.

He was able to trace the course of events including the page I was on, when the incident occurred. Anyhow as soon as the incident occurred I was sent to a site in Russia, and then to some radio station in California and then to a vast number of sites all over the place.

Anyhow it seems nothing has been left on this computer and I am in the clear.

On searching this according to Reddit, this site Manualslib.com has been known for this for at least 2 years, but obviously I was unaware.

My son did go to the site and to the page where this incident occurred with extreme care and protection and could not reproduce the hack yesterday.

I am posting this here, as I know other members have used this site as well. Unfortunately my advice has to be to stay away from this site.
That is a typical attempt to have you call their support number to try and steal your money. Typically they do not install viruses. It may continue to pop up if you do not delete your internet cache. I also agree I would never visit that site again because why risk it and NEVER CLICK ON ANYTHING when you see that lol.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That is a typical attempt to have you call their support number to try and steal your money. Typically they do not install viruses. It may continue to pop up if you do not delete your internet cache. I also agree I would never visit that site again because why risk it and NEVER CLICK ON ANYTHING when you see that lol.
My son spent an hour at least on this and checked everything out. It seems there was no harm done fortunately.
The site was not the most handy, but there are hardly any manuals you can not find there. This is especially useful when members want help on rarer older items. However, I'm totally done with that site.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

On my portable PC, I occasionally get a message saying that my Windows Defender software is off. It also states that the additional Malwarebytes Premuim software is off as well.

When this happens, I never click on that message but I open the Malwarebytes software which is never off as the message says, and run a thorough scan. The scan always shows no threat found. I never have had a problem but I always do a scan as a precaution.

From now on, I'm going to verify the site I'm connected to when this happens again.
My son found and corrected that problem. He says defender was never off even though it said it was. I have had zero issues since my son worked this problem through. He says those nasty Russians were primarily behind this, and the radio station were likely spreading their garbage and likely unaware. It gave the attack a US IP address, but my son is certain it originated in Russia.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Trying dealing with Identity theft. Much less hacker's, pirates of your home internet, Invasion of your privacy in your own home by scrupulous neighbors. Haven't been hit with Ransomware and/or a full lock down of this laptop yet. I have lost PC's in the past.

Several to the blue screen of death. My whole ID is on the Darkside of the WWW. Here's the thing, knowing full well from since 2000-2001 to-date who has been behind all of My identity theft has left me No recourse because of lack of resources. Bad you say Doc? I say count your blessings nothing more other than a Red flag was all you had to deal with.

When I say, many more, Like maybe, thousands even millions have suffered worse. Completely ruined, To the point of bankruptcy, fraud or even To the point of committing small frauds just to stay ahead of hackers and the ones siphoning off money. No Amount of honesty can replace integrity not to mention a virtue. One word of advice I can offer, stay clear of birds of a feather that flocks together.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis