Making RCA cables from RG6.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys, quick question. I got my stripped crimp tool and compression RCA jacks form parts express.

My RG6 is supposed to come in on thursday but I already have all my equipment and will want to set it up ASAP. So I need to know how to do this by the time the cable gets here. I Saw the diagram on parts express which was a little confusing. So when I use the stripped on the RG6 does it strip right down to the coper wire or only to the foam insulating material? Also whats the length at which I will need to strip it so that it goes far enoughinto the RCA jack but leaves enough insulation to ccompress the jack to? Now I am assuming when I put the RCA jack on that it is suposed to grab some of the insulation too right, not just the copper wire?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I showed you a link that has a pic with measurements for how much you should strip.

But, if you are using a rotary stripper, it actually has two blades inside. It only works correctly in one direction. When you use it, it will strip one section of the cable down to the center conductor, the other section of cable it will strip down to the shielding.

Typically, I put the cable right to the edge of the rotary stripper, not hanging out the end at all, then spin the stripper and pull off the cable. That is enough for me to push on the RCA connector and then compress it in place.

It is a VERY hard push to get the RCA connector to seat all the way, but once it is in place, it works great.

At least, that's my experience using the RCA connectors from Parts Express. The first 6 cables I made (12 connectors) not one of them was bad. Took a while and my hand kind of hurt from pushing them on so hard, but it worked really well.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
thanks BMX. The pic was kinda small so I couldnt really see the measurements. Also I was confused about the foam stuff. I got the stripper that you recommended. So basically I strip to the conduit and the put it into the RCA jack, but after the push, should the part of the cable that didnt get stripped still fit somewhat inside the RCA jack? So how much of the conduit do I really need stripped? and how will I know when it is all the way in, enough for the cable to work in the RCA jack?

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
I showed you a link that has a pic with measurements for how much you should strip.

But, if you are using a rotary stripper, it actually has two blades inside. It only works correctly in one direction. When you use it, it will strip one section of the cable down to the center conductor, the other section of cable it will strip down to the shielding.

Typically, I put the cable right to the edge of the rotary stripper, not hanging out the end at all, then spin the stripper and pull off the cable. That is enough for me to push on the RCA connector and then compress it in place.

It is a VERY hard push to get the RCA connector to seat all the way, but once it is in place, it works great.

At least, that's my experience using the RCA connectors from Parts Express. The first 6 cables I made (12 connectors) not one of them was bad. Took a while and my hand kind of hurt from pushing them on so hard, but it worked really well.
So you just strip it, put it in the compression tool and squueze??? Is it that easy???:confused:

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
thanks but those arent the connectors that I am using. I got the RCA compression ones from partsexpress for $2. They are only one peace.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The image below shows what the coax cable should look like after it is stripped.

5/16" long center conductor, 5/16" long braid showing. That's what it says in the tutorial on Parts Express.

Using the rotary stripper that I linked to, I just make it so the cable is flush with the side, then strip. Seems to be about dead on perfect.

Like I said - made 6 cables - didn't have a problem with one of the 12 RCA connections I made. Maybe just beginners luck.

J

JeffreyDurbin

Audiophyte
Wow, those are some expensive tools. It doesn't look like I'll be making my own interconnects after all!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JeffreyDurbin said:
Wow, those are some expensive tools. It doesn't look like I'll be making my own interconnects after all!
Jeff - If you use the universal tool from Parts Express and the RG-6 ends they sell it'll run you 35 bucks for the tool and 2 bucks per connector.

Dang, I need to get up a video of the Planet Waves stuff - that is some DIY terminating that anyone can handle and everyone already owns the tools needed to DIY.

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
maxse said:
thanks but those arent the connectors that I am using. I got the RCA compression ones from partsexpress for $2. They are only one peace.
I've used them before. If your using a stranded center conductor, they don't work all that well. If it's solid, no problem.

Just like you mentioned...you strip them to what the Parts Express info shows, (that stripper should work fine). Push them all the way onto the wire and crimp. That's all you do.

Also, you don't need an expensive crimper to do this. The Parts Express crimper is designed for making this connection. If you wanted to do the fancy Canare ends, the Parts Express crimper will do this also, with a different die.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
I am using the Belden 1694A cable, should I be okay?

Also quick question. I am running the cable for the component now, and after running 2 already realized that they might be of different lengths! Is it important for all 3 cables to be of equal length for the component cables?

Last edited:
M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
Okay guys HELP! So I stripped the wire pushed it into the compression connector as hard as possible. Put it in the crimping tool. And it looked like it was fine... But when I actually pulled on the connect it came off pretty easily!!!! Aghh!

Can someone please help me out. I dont understand how the compression connector works because it simply moves up the connection I dont see where it actually compresses it because After I took the cable out of the compressed one, I can easily put it back in the same way as if it wasnt used yet!

Is it because I didnt put it in far enough or something? Or is it something else? How can I tell that I have put the wire all the way in? IT seemed like it didnt move any more.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Take a look at the picture BMXTRIX posted. Prep another cable end and shove the connector on all the way (you may want to fold the braid back from the foil prior to pushing on the connector). Now pull the connector off and take a look at the cable end.

It should still look about like BMX's picture. If the dialectric and foil looks "mangled", or has been shoved back into the jacket, the sleeve inside the connector might be hanging up on the dialectric. If that sleeve doesn't get over the dialectric and under the jacket, you won't get a good compression crimp.

Pull strength on these connectors is pretty good. You shouldn't be able to pull it off very easily unless you're the Governor of California. It takes a little practice sometimes to get used to the feel of a well seated connector.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
thanks Im not sure I understand exactly what you have said but basically Im stripping to the white part of the cable because usually the foil just peels off.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis