Magnepan.7 advise request.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I am having... I think a decent amplification an average turntable Fluance RT83 and I want to replace my Polk Audio RTIA7 with the Magnepan .7!

Do you believe it worth it? I don’t mind about the luck of extended low frequency that it kicks in some times.

Thanks in advance

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
They're a completely different ball of wax in terms of interaction with local acoustics. The dipole aspect of the maggies have greater placement restrictions than direct radiators, considerably further from the back wall for example. Also, they tend to be a bit beamy, resulting in a very constrained sweet spot.

Maggie's can do a few things very well, with fantastic resolution and imaging, albeit limited to the smaller sweet spot. On the downside, the extra dimensionality that dipoles provide is a boon to some recordings but a bit unnatural on others, and since it's inherent to the speakers, it can't be turned off. It's like a sounstage/image enhancing process applied to everything you listen to, whether it benefits or not. It's a bit of a parlor trick rather than accurate reproduction in that sense, which I personally found to be a mixed bag.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They're a completely different ball of wax in terms of interaction with local acoustics. The dipole aspect of the maggies have greater placement restrictions than direct radiators, considerably further from the back wall for example. Also, they tend to be a bit beamy, resulting in a very constrained sweet spot.

Maggie's can do a few things very well, with fantastic resolution and imaging, albeit limited to the smaller sweet spot. On the downside, the extra dimensionality that dipoles provide is a boon to some recordings but a bit unnatural on others, and since it's inherent to the speakers, it can't be turned off. It's like a sounstage/image enhancing process applied to everything you listen to, whether it benefits or not. It's a bit of a parlor trick rather than accurate reproduction in that sense, which I personally found to be a mixed bag.
You could probably just put some good absorbers behind the Maggies to reduce the rear reflections.

For me, the cons of planar speakers outweigh the pros. Limited dynamic range, thin bass, bizarre off-axis response, low-impedance. I would not trade a Polk RTiA7 for a maggie panel.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic

Thank you my friend

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
You could probably just put some good absorbers behind the Maggies to reduce the rear reflections.

For me, the cons of planar speakers outweigh the pros. Limited dynamic range, thin bass, bizarre off-axis response, low-impedance. I would not trade a Polk RTiA7 for a maggie panel.
Thank you-thank you for helping me take a decision. Initially I wanted to keep the Polk...guys believe it or not the Polk come rediculasly alive. No idea how this happens.
Also, thank you for your advice to keep them...sometimes the Polk have the resolution of the Maggie’s But only from the turntable and the Blue ray.....flac files do not have this effect unless I compress them personally and set the setting at : 0

God bless this site.

R

Rip City Dave

Enthusiast
If you can get around the loss of bass, the placement restrictions and amplifier fussiness, then you will be greeted with an amazing soundstage and clarity that is unique to open baffle dipoles. I have Magnepan 1.7s for my two-channel critical listening, but dynamic drivers for my home theater. Two different beasts.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am having... I think a decent amplification an average turntable Fluance RT83 and I want to replace my Polk Audio RTIA7 with the Magnepan .7!

Do you believe it worth it? I don’t mind about the luck of extended low frequency that it kicks in some times.

Thanks in advance
Have you tried finding a better location for the speakers? Placed properly, the sound should be very spacious.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I’m thinking of the .7 mag roan and I’ll place them on a equalratelal triangle

R

Rip City Dave

Enthusiast
A good plan to start with. Keep them at least three feet away from the wall, then trial and error with different positions. I prefer the tweeters inboard because I like that focus that it gives to the soundstage. Then, get ready for your Maggies to do a disappearing act. The sensation of music appearing spread out in front of you is intoxicating.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis