Made in China Surveillance

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
No further comments here. I guess no one here cares about surveillance. Apathy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No further comments here. I guess no one here cares about surveillance. Apathy.
Of course we care. It is no surprise. China is governed by an evil totalitarian regime. This is how totalitarian regimes behave. Digital technology makes it easier to make there predations the more sinister. Remember Churchill's warning that "perverted science" makes these regimes more dangerous and sinister?

I have been warning you all about China for over 15 years now. I have have often been dismissed by the argument that we have no alternative to rely on Chinese manufacture. In my view that has been the dangerous line of least resistance. The payment due for "getting into bed" with China, is only just beginning. We have been complicit in wanting those lousy cheap AVR's. Now we make the China the go to place to manufacture even speakers.
Perlisten chose China to build there speakers. They are yesterday's designs, so they won't be around long.

Fortunately innovation comes from free peoples. Follow the Sigberg Audio speaker thread and you will see what I'm talking about.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Of course we care. It is no surprise. China is governed by an evil totalitarian regime. This is how totalitarian regimes behave. Digital technology makes it easier to make there predations the more sinister. Remember Churchill's warning that "perverted science" makes these regimes more dangerous and sinister?

I have been warning you all about China for over 15 years now. I have have often been dismissed by the argument that we have no alternative to rely on Chinese manufacture. In my view that has been the dangerous line of least resistance. The payment due for "getting into bed" with China, is only just beginning. We have been complicit in wanting those lousy cheap AVR's. Now we make the China the go to place to manufacture even speakers.
Perlisten chose China to build there speakers. They are yesterday's designs, so they won't be around long.

Fortunately innovation comes from free peoples. Follow the Sigberg Audio speaker thread and you will see what I'm talking about.
For better or worse, China has become the world's factory. We would need massive worldwide changes to undo that. If you are telling people who want an audio system not to buy Chinese manufactured goods, guess what: now no one but upper classes can afford to have an audio system. No middle-class family can realistically afford a non-Chinese manufactured audio system or much other non-Chinese manufactured consumer electronics for that matter. I would agree that it is a bad idea to have so much vital manufacturing industry located in China, but that is not something that can be turned around on a dime. The only thing I ever came close to agreeing with Trump was about pressuring China to change their practices, although for very different reasons; he bagged on China to appease racists whereas I think it would be a good idea to develop other manufacturing hubs.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
There are other manufacturing locations other than China. Vietnam is one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

For better or worse, China has become the world's factory. We would need massive worldwide changes to undo that. If you are telling people who want an audio system not to buy Chinese manufactured goods, guess what: now no one but upper classes can afford to have an audio system. No middle-class family can realistically afford a non-Chinese manufactured audio system or much other non-Chinese manufactured consumer electronics for that matter. I would agree that it is a bad idea to have so much vital manufacturing industry located in China, but that is not something that can be turned around on a dime. The only thing I ever came close to agreeing with Trump was about pressuring China to change their practices, although for very different reasons; he bagged on China to appease racists whereas I think it would be a good idea to develop other manufacturing hubs.
If we don't change this in a hurry, then we will be in very serious trouble, if we aren't already. Both the US and Europe have significant manufacturing capability, and probably more precision engineering than China. The fact is that the standard of manufacture and precision in China, is on the whole poor. If you don't believe me then just take washing machines as an example. Most are now made in China, and there reliability and longevity is abysmal. There is only one brand of washing machine now, that has any longevity. Those machines are Speed Queen, made in Wisconsin. They will not use ANY Chinese parts. Guess what? By and large their machines are the cheapest.

This drive to China has been the very worst example of corporate group think. I'm convinced it can be reversed quicker then you think, and needs to be fast.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

>>>The Biden administration is investigating Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei over concerns that U.S. cell towers fitted with its gear could capture sensitive information from military bases and missile silos that the company could then transmit to China, two people familiar with the matter said.

Authorities are concerned Huawei (HWT.UL) could obtain sensitive data on military drills and the readiness status of bases and personnel via the equipment, one of the people said, requesting anonymity because the investigation is confidential and involves national security.

The previously unreported probe was opened by the Commerce Department shortly after Joe Biden took office early last year, the sources said, following the implementation of rules to flesh out a May 2019 executive order that gave the agency the investigative authority.

The agency subpoenaed Huawei in April 2021 to learn the company's policy on sharing data with foreign parties that its equipment could capture from cell phones, including messages and geolocational data, according to the 10-page document seen by Reuters.
...<<<

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There is only one brand of washing machine now, that has any longevity. Those machines are Speed Queen, made in Wisconsin. They will not use ANY Chinese parts. Guess what? By and large their machines are the cheapest.
I think you're confused about the difference between Chinese reliability of manufacturing and design reliability. China-based manufacturing COULD and DOES produce high-quality, reliable products, like Apple products, which are extremely well engineered and quality built. The problem is most modern product designs themselves are built-in with short lifespans, aka planned obsolescence. So garbage in -> garbage out. Ultimately, it's all driven by corporate greed, and I think I've mentioned this before. We are hopeless to start changing that until we allow the government to regulate and enforce consumer product reliability. This isn't a scenario where the "free" market will regulate itself.

The last point on the cost of Speed Queen machines is cheapest? In what sense? Cheapest vs. what?
Chinese product or another reliable model?
Cheapest SpeedQueen (TC5, I think) is $1449.
A commercial/heavy-duty Whirpool CAE2795FQ machine is $949
a cheap LG WT7100CW is under $600

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If we don't change this in a hurry, then we will be in very serious trouble, if we aren't already. Both the US and Europe have significant manufacturing capability, and probably more precision engineering than China. The fact is that the standard of manufacture and precision in China, is on the whole poor. If you don't believe me then just take washing machines as an example. Most are now made in China, and there reliability and longevity is abysmal. There is only one brand of washing machine now, that has any longevity. Those machines are Speed Queen, made in Wisconsin. They will not use ANY Chinese parts. Guess what? By and large their machines are the cheapest.

This drive to China has been the very worst example of corporate group think. I'm convinced it can be reversed quicker then you think, and needs to be fast.
Doc! Can't agree more with your post. China has stolen so much technology from the world, by just out right stealing patented products that they manufacture for others, which they don't care about anyway who has one. And Spy's planted all over in our colleges and corporate institutions just here in the United States. When Nixon opened the door with China, little did he know that lil deal blew the door wide open for China trade espionage. And to think USA saved their A$$'s from Japan, from World War II.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

>>>The Biden administration is investigating Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei over concerns that U.S. cell towers fitted with its gear could capture sensitive information from military bases and missile silos that the company could then transmit to China, two people familiar with the matter said.

Authorities are concerned Huawei (HWT.UL) could obtain sensitive data on military drills and the readiness status of bases and personnel via the equipment, one of the people said, requesting anonymity because the investigation is confidential and involves national security.

The previously unreported probe was opened by the Commerce Department shortly after Joe Biden took office early last year, the sources said, following the implementation of rules to flesh out a May 2019 executive order that gave the agency the investigative authority.

The agency subpoenaed Huawei in April 2021 to learn the company's policy on sharing data with foreign parties that its equipment could capture from cell phones, including messages and geolocational data, according to the 10-page document seen by Reuters.
...<<<
They didn't need to give Biden credit for this- Huawei has been on the DOD's list of companies that are not to be used as suppliers for government installations for many years because of their habit of using the equipment as a way to gain information. It goes back to Geo W Bush's time.

If you see surveillance cameras, look at the brand- if they have HikVision on the shell, that's one of the labels used by Huawei.

highfigh

highfigh

Doc! Can't agree more with your post. China has stolen so much technology from the world, by just out right stealing patented products that they manufacture for others, which they don't care about anyway who has one. And Spy's planted all over in our colleges and corporate institutions just here in the United States. When Nixon opened the door with China, little did he know that lil deal blew the door wide open for China trade espionage. And to think USA saved their A$$'s from Japan, from World War II.
Giving China 'Most Favored Trading Partner' status is what made them as powerful as they have become. They're like a drug dealer and the World have become the addicts who depend on them for a fix.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis