M&K350SF or Paradigm Servo-15 v2

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
I'm now looking for a new subwoofer for my new AV system. I prefer it to be capable to play nicely in both 2-channel music and movie. I did the demo for these 2 subwoofers and they seem to have their strength...:confused: 350SF tends to pay more attention on the music side and it made deep and explosive bass when playing movie, but personally it's not very much up to the level when playing the music, especially jazz... Servo-15 v2, on the other hand, was a very good player on the music side. It "disappeared" in the system and provided extended deep bass. However, it couldn't offer such an explosive effect as 350SF when playing movie... This makes me uneasy to decide which one to go for in this stage. The price is the same for 2 subwoofers, so overall performance would be the decisive factors... Any comments?? Pls kindly input...:)

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
ChanCC said:
The price is the same for 2 subwoofers, so overall performance would be the decisive factors... Any comments?? Plsmkindly input...:)
Yes, for the money your looking to spend on one of these two subs, I'd look into a SVS sub.

www.svsound.com

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
Which model of SVS do you think is competitive to either one of the subs I wanted? Are you currently using it??

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
ChanCC said:
Which model of SVS do you think is competitive to either one of the subs I wanted? Are you currently using it??
I have a SVS PB12-Plus/2

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
TC Ananda looks interesting!! But, I didn't hear it before... which company make this sub? I did consider B15a and DD-15. B15a - not many reviews talked about it. DD-15 - Velodyne I suppose their sub maybe good for movie, but not for music. The response seems slow and makes the sound "fat". That's what I felt when I tested DD-12. BTW, do you own any of these subs or did you test any one of them?

B

B5I8

Audioholic
TC Sounds is the company who makes the drivers for SVS subs. The Ananda uses TC Sounds flagship driver so you can just imagine what kind of sound that thing puts out. I have a SVS PC-Ultra and I know the Ananda would smash my sub.

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
Oh I see!! Then how's the performance of the PC-ultra or the PB12-Plus/2 mazersteven mentioned aove? Can you give me some idea?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
What happened to the servo? I have mine thumping away accurately unlike many others, and love it.

If you're looking to spend that kind of cash, why not the new JL F113 (or 112)? No svs will ever come close to it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Johnd said:
What happened to the servo? I have mine thumping away accurately unlike many others, and love it.

If you're looking to spend that kind of cash, why not the new JL F113 (or 112)? No svs will ever come close to it.
The JL F113 retails for $3200. I'd rather have two PB12-Plus/2's

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
And the servo 15 retails for $2,600.00. And both Paradigm and JL dealers set their own pricing. When someone throws the servo 15 out there, which I consider to be one of the best, why not consider the DD15 or f113?

Bottom line: all the preliminary reviews have the f113 beating both the DD15 and servo 15 (and all others) hands down in the subsonic range, which seems to be ChanCC's complaint with the servo. I think it is entirely apropos.

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
Johnd, I heard of the f113 and it sounds interesting and attractive to me. But here I don't have any dealer around and couldn't do any testing... Did you ever test it? How did it perform? How did it compare to Servo-15 v2? Thanks!!

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
ChanCC said:
I'm now looking for a new subwoofer for my new AV system. I prefer it to be capable to play nicely in both 2-channel music and movie. I did the demo for these 2 subwoofers and they seem to have their strength...:confused: 350SF tends to pay more attention on the music side and it made deep and explosive bass when playing movie, but personally it's not very much up to the level when playing the music, especially jazz... Servo-15 v2, on the other hand, was a very good player on the music side. It "disappeared" in the system and provided extended deep bass. However, it couldn't offer such an explosive effect as 350SF when playing movie... This makes me uneasy to decide which one to go for in this stage. The price is the same for 2 subwoofers, so overall performance would be the decisive factors... Any comments?? Pls kindly input...:)
Personally, I really like the M&K stuff. I've never listened to the Paradigm sub, so I can't really comment on it. I don't know what price your finding for those, but you can get a MX350 direct from M&K's scratch and dent area for $1499. I believe that includes shipping. Cosmetic mx350 at M&K

In the same price range, I liked the way the Def Tech supercube sounded, also. You may want to check that out too. I think a few people on this site may have one.

Jack

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
ChanCC said:
Johnd, I heard of the f113 and it sounds interesting and attractive to me. But here I don't have any dealer around and couldn't do any testing... Did you ever test it? How did it perform? How did it compare to Servo-15 v2? Thanks!!
No, I have my servo 15 and am not wanting of any bass. The servo is a killer sub. But...the reviews are trickling in on the JL (this is a brand new sub remember):

Sound and Vision magazine just released a review here of the f112:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/1853/test-bench-jl-audio-fathom-f112-subwoofer.html

For the past few weeks AVS forums (Craig did a test, Mark Seaton has chimed in...) has been debating the f113's virtues here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=736243&page=1&pp=30

JL Audio's site is here:
http://home.jlaudio.com/

The F113 has just set a new benchmark for subs that will eventually trickle down into more moderately priced subs, as it so often invariably does. Happy hunting!

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
For Servo-15 v2, do you find smashing bass for movie as well? I agree that it provides well extended bass for music, but seems not for movie. Do you have the same feeling?? For the Fathom, I'll look for the chance to test it and see if it's good for playing both music and movie...

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
In a word, Yes. Ed Mullen reviewed the v2 and reported that it "hit 17 Hz cleanly and with authority". Now I'm no expert on the subject matter, but that sounds pretty good.

You will invariably get widely varied opinions on subs. It is irrefutable that the servo is highly musical. It is also beyond reproach for its' accuracy and low distortion. Do other subs dig deeper? Absolutely. I cannot comment personally on the f113, M&K, SVS, Velo, etc...I have not heard them. You may do well the read the reviews I posted and follow the threads on the f113, as well as consider (and audition) the M&K suggested by JackHammer and other brands before making such a substantial purchase.

C

ChanCC

Enthusiast
I appreciate your sharing about servo-15. You made me feel more confident that I did not judge something wrong on the day I did the test of the servo-15... Maybe my place, a medium size living room (25 x 20 x 8(H) ft), is a right size for servo-15 to perform... anyway, may I know the size of your listening room?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Sure. The "room" is 16' x 24' open on one end to another 10' x 20' room. But the actual listening space is 16' x 15' as I have the seating area at one end of the room and the mains not quite at center.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
Interesting that you find the Servo 15 doesnt perform all that well for moives. I have to admit, I think the Servo is one of the best subs in available for both movies and music (I have owned it on a couple different occasions). It is resonably accurate for music and I always thought it just POUNDS for movies. Just a suggestion, but I may go back and investigate further how you local Paradigm deler had the 15 set up. there are a few possible options as to why the Servo didnt perform as well for you in the demo as it may have been able to. The last M&K I owned was the good old MX-200. When I first bought it I was amazed at how well it performed, but after about a year I began noticing that in a direct comparison to other subs (even some of those factory direct units) the M&K just wasn't in their league. If you are saying the 350SF is essentially the equal (or better) than the Servo 15..............my my M&K has made a huge come back. There have been quite a few suggestions here for other brands, but it seems like the 2 you have in question should fit the bill nicely. Good luck!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis