T

toobryant

Junior Audioholic
I found these in the basement of my parents house and they gave them to me. The wood isn't in perfect condition but they sound great and all the drivers work. Does anybody know anything about these speakers? I'm not sure if I want to keep them or sell them. If anybody has any information on them let me know,

Thanks a lot guys

T

toobryant

Junior Audioholic
Well I think I am going to just sell them, I need the $$$

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
They are nice speakers and definately worth keeping if they still work well. The S-5000's were one of M&K's top consumer speakers and IIRC the first speaker to be THX certified and also what Dolby Labs had in use in their studios when they first started to develop the 5.1 standard. M&K first released them in the early 90's and had them in the product line for ~10years with a msrp of $1399. I copied the quoted section below from one of their old product pages, hope it helps.

M&K old product page said:
Through the use of extensive new time-domain analysis; computer-optimized crossover design; a newly-developed computerized swept two-tone distortion test; extensive research into reflected and diffracted energy from drivers and cabinets; and advanced listening evaluations, M&K has created the state-of-the-art loudspeaker for both home theatre and musical reproduction: the S-5000THX.

This magnetically-shielded speaker reproduces the range between 70 Hz and 20 KHz with unprecedented musical accuracy. Its response extremely smooth and linear throughout its operating range, and its off axis radiation is carefully controlled to accurately serve listeners to the left and right, while avoiding the floor and ceiling reflections so detrimental to clean and detailed sound and imaging. Combining this with two highly advanced new proprietary one inch Transmission Line Open-Back Dome Tweeters and two new 6.5 inch polypropylene woofers with all premium grade crossover components and special internal and external cabinet treatments and shapes, the S-5000THX redefines sonic accuracy and transparency.

WOOFER & TWEETER DRIVERS
The S-5000THX is the first M&K speaker to have the benefit of a newly-developed loudspeaker driver measurement technique known as the "two-tone distortion test." This technique, which was used in the development of both the woofer and tweeter drivers in the S-5000THX, was a critical element in the achievement of the ultra-low coloration exhibited by these drivers.

This severe test measures the distortion produced when a driver is fed with a swept signal consisting of two closely-spaced tones. This test has a very close correlation to the perception of experienced listeners listening to music, and is a breakthrough tool in improving the audible performance of high-performance loudspeakers. One reason this test is so useful is that these closely-spaced tones are very similar to music itself, as virtually all music consists of a complexity of tones very close to one another (e.g., a piano chord). In fact, although most measurements of distortion are concerned with harmonic distortion, it is mostly intermodulation distortion (which is measured by the two-tone technique) that spoils the clarity of live sound when it is reproduced.

In the S-5000THX, this technique made possible the development of speaker drivers that go beyond conventional low distortion measurements to achieve truly superior audible reproduction of musical signals.

TRANSMISSION LINE OPEN-BACK DOME TWEETERS
M&K's unique and innovative Transmission Line Open-Back Dome Tweeter utilizes an acoustic absorbing transmission line to establish a new standard of tweeter performance. This transmission line is an absorbent-filled cylinder that is progressively damped. One cylinder end exits through the rear of the S-5000THX cabinet, and the other end is coupled to a precisely machined opening drilled completely through the center of the tweeter magnetic structure.

This drilled opening allows the sound energy travelling rearward (from the back side of the tweeter diaphragm) to pass through the tweeter structure and be absorbed by the non-reflective transmission line. Ordinarily, this rearward sound energy is reflected off the tweeter's solid internal structure and radiates through the tweeter diaphragm, resulting in audible coloration and time domain "smearing".

Other advances in M&K's new tweeter design include a proprietary non-planar asymmetric parabolic front plate assembly which linearizes the tweeter's directivity "Q" as a function of frequency, and also greatly reduces the sonic influence of the cabinet baffle and tweeter mounting.

In addition, a newly developed ferrofluid formulation significantly raises the tweeter's instantaneous and long-term power handling capabilities. The total effect is that this extraordinary new tweeter reproduces music with tremendous sonic transparency and delicacy, as well as extraordinarily high output levels, so that it is fully capable of the very wide dynamic range and continuous output levels required for home theatre reproduction.

WOOFER DRIVER
In the S-5000THX, dual high-performance 6.5" woofers deliver bass output through the critical mid-bass and midrange with a very tight tolerance of F1 2 dB (anechoic), with tremendous dynamic range and transient capability, achieving the difficult combination of low coloration for music and voice detail with the ability to reproduce the powerful impact of percussive musical instruments and recorded sound effects at lifelike levels.

This brand-new 6.5" polypropylene woofer driver utilizes a sophisticated new aluminum inductance-controlling short-circuiting ring assembly that makes for a new level of magnetic drive motor linearity and symmetry. This results in significantly lower audible distortion by essentially eliminating self-induction and hysteresis distortion, as well as linearizing voice coil current throughout the entire range of cone travel. And performance standards are further advanced with a time and frequency domain-correcting precision-machined pole piece structure termination plug and a superior new butyl edge formulation.

CABINET
Instead of following the conventional horizontal cross section square box shape, M&K engineers found that to achieve the extremely smooth response of the S-5000THX required its cabinet to be in the shape of a trapezoid. Its front baffle is narrower than its back baffle, which helps smooth the S-5000THX's frequency response through the mid-bass region, in addition to increasing its radiating efficiency. The precise trapezoidal angle was optimized using careful computer time-domain measurements.

On the front baffle, a highly-absorptive acoustical foam treatment is applied to the area around and between the tweeters to minimize diffraction coloration. Diffraction occurs when signals produced by the tweeters travel along the surface of the cabinet baffle until they reach an edge where they reflect back sonic energy which interferes with the direct signal. This reflection affects frequency response and blurs sonic details which can destroy the sharp sonic imaging that is not only important to audiophile listeners but is vitally necessary in home theatres, where audio and video image locations must match precisely.

In addition to M&K's normal use of absorptive synthetic cabinet filler material, highly-absorptive acoustical foam is applied to the interior cabinet walls to further absorb and dissipate reflected energy that is generated by the rear of the woofer diaphragms. Without the addition of this costly treatment, some residual midrange energy reflects off the internal cabinet walls and propagates out through the back of the woofer cones, adding a distinct coloration to the reproduced sound. Such effects are easily seen with the aid of sophisticated time-domain computerized measurements.

The vertical array of woofer and tweeter drivers in the S-5000THX is designed to precisely control its vertical directivity. This minimizes the amount of signal reflected off the listening room floor and ceiling, increasing the ratio of direct to reflected sound reaching the listener's ears, especially in the critical 7 milliseconds after the direct sound arrives. These reflected signals arrive at the listener's ears time delayed in comparison to the direct signal, and "smear" the sound.

CROSSOVER
M&K's computer-optimized crossover is designed to deliver more than just smooth frequency response and tonal balance. Its design is an important element in the S-5000's unique capability ofreproducing the transients that comprise all music, voice, and effects reproduction, and this factor is a key element in the immediately recognizable lifelike quality of this speaker. Many highly regarded crossover designs work well in the frequency domain, but do not do well in the time domain when transients are reproduced.

In addition, only audiophile-grade component parts are used, including distortionless air-core inductors and polyester film capacitors, resulting in tremendous clarity and transparency of sound through the critical midrange and high frequencies.The speaker is THX ULTRA certified.

T

toobryant

Junior Audioholic
Wow, really? How much are they worth now? They do sound great but I don't really need new speakers now. Are there people that would be willing to buy them?

T

toobryant

Junior Audioholic
And If I am going to sell them would I be better off fixing the cabinet and getting a new foam piece? They also need new grills, where could I find new ones?

Thanks for your help.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really have no idea what they'd be worth these days. For grills I doubt you'd be able to find some, you'd more likely have to either make some yourself or have them made. As far as fixing them up goes you'll likely get better info by starting a new thread asking for help fixing up some older speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis