B

Brian Keelan

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Lynnfield 500 speakers - made by Boston Acoustics - that I inherited from my father who bought them in 1997. When he passed away I got them. He had them Bi-amped with a pair of B&K power amps.
Now I want to hook them up to my Anthem 500 Surround receiver.
To make sure I was doing things right, I started looking for the Lynnfield 500 manual on line.
Nothing there.
Then I went to Boston Acoustics site since the speakers were made by them but were discontinued back in 1997.
No help there.
Next, I called them and there is a guy looking around for a manual but have not heard back from him.
I thought I would try here to see if anyone can help me.
Here is my problem....
I cannot get the lower units to work.
The upper units with the mid and tweeters work fine.
The lower units have three terminals. One labelled :woofers, one labelled mid-range and one labelled tweeters.
It is obvious that if you are using a single source to power the speakers, you would need to link the terminals in some way.
I do not have those parts.
But when I hook the woofer's terminals to an amplifier - as if I was bi-amping them - I get nothing.
I wonder why that is. How could they have both been blown up?
Does anyone out there have a manual for these speakers so that I can see how the lower unit gets hooked up properly before I start taking the speakers apart and looking for replacement parts?
If my worst scenario is true I think the crossover device for the lower unit is gone but I need some help here as I am way out of my league and can't seem to find anything about them except for a few reviews.
Any help or ideas on how to get help would be very much appreciated.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd think all you need to interconnect the bi/tri-wiring terminals is bits of speaker wire if the original jumpers are gone. May not help with not getting anything out of the bass units, tho. Going by the little I found here https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/893ba500/index.html
The three-way 500L can be single-wired, bi-wired, or tri-wired. Three inputs are provided, allowing great flexibility in connection. When single-wired, two pairs of jumper plates at the bass enclosure bottom are installed, and four jumper wires connect terminals at the bass enclosure's top to the midrange/tweeter module. Internal wiring connects the bass enclosure's bottom terminals to the top terminals. This wiring can be bypassed by bi-wiring or tri-wiring.

A little confusing to me, lol. Interesting speakers tho. Ambitious design.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The three-way 500L can be single-wired, bi-wired, or tri-wired. Three inputs are provided, allowing great flexibility in connection. When single-wired, two pairs of jumper plates at the bass enclosure bottom are installed, and four jumper wires connect terminals at the bass enclosure's top to the midrange/tweeter module. Internal wiring connects the bass enclosure's bottom terminals to the top terminals. This wiring can be bypassed by bi-wiring or tri-wiring.

Yeah I'd love to see the manual, which was mentioned in the article as being quite good....

B

Brian Keelan

Audiophyte

Thanks for that.
I'll give it a shot and see where that goes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis