J

jlettie

Audiophyte
Hi
I'm interested in setting up a 7.1 system 2 Polk LSI 15 fronts LSI center,2 Speaker craft sided and rears. Most people dislike speaker craft, but they sound good to me. My problem is the correct receiver to use. I have examined Pioneer Elite receivers VSX 21 TXH & 23 TXH. Would these receiver work or some other receiver operate better. I'm also looking for simplicity. thanks

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
+1. Actually, I would just go directly to outboard amplification with the LSIs. Low sensitivity, low impedances, and IIRC they might have difficult phase angles to boot.

The easiest, and or cheapest, way to achieve the above would be to buy a midline 7.1 receiver that has preouts, and add, say, an Emotiva XPA3. Outboard amp channels for the LSIs, and the AVR will be plenty for the Speakercrafts.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
+1. Actually, I would just go directly to outboard amplification with the LSIs. Low sensitivity, low impedances, and IIRC they might have difficult phase angles to boot.

The easiest, and or cheapest, way to achieve the above would be to buy a midline 7.1 receiver that has preouts, and add, say, an Emotiva XPA3. Outboard amp channels for the LSIs, and the AVR will be plenty for the Speakercrafts.
Swings down to 2.3 ohms in the 50hz region IIRC :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have to agree with the others, I'd go straight to separate amplification. A typical receiver alone simply isn't going to cut it.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Those Pioneers do have the pre-outs to add the additional amps.

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
Usually the LSI 15's are the hardest of the LSi series to drive. At least is what i've heard, but they are nice speakers and will be a good challenge to setup them. Oh! and be sure to select the “large” setting for the front speakers.

T

THX NUT

Audiophyte
A/V receiver vs Seperates

There is nothing wrong with going with a good Elite receiver for this set up.
Seperates cost, and money is a big issue these days. Remember (good clean power thats usable is the key!) and Pioneer Elite series A/V receivers do a great job at that, and are a very solid build. But if money is no object, by all means go seperates. But remember quality not quantity.

Matt34

Matt34

There is nothing wrong with going with a good Elite receiver for this set up.
Seperates cost, and money is a big issue these days. Remember (good clean power thats usable is the key!) and Pioneer Elite series A/V receivers do a great job at that, and are a very solid build. But if money is no object, by all means go seperates. But remember quality not quantity.
Call Pioneer, I did about a year ago and they stated that none of their receivers are recommended with 4 ohm speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis