Lower Level Media Room, All LFE propagates up?

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
ill try and explain this as well as I can. Looking for your ideas on why and what mitigation I can apply if any..

Have a walk out finished lower level in a Cape. Ceiling is 7’ and has a suspended ceiling in the room. This is the Media Room (not quite a dedicated bat cave). Currently running 4 Sealed SI HT18s for LFE. On the main floor above the LFE content propagates through the floor and is almost as prominent as it is in the room at the MLP. Sitting upstairs it almost sounds as if you’re in the Media Room itself with the Subs.

The floor is cement and covered with carpet. I’m wondering if the cement floor is acting like a big reflector upward? I’d there something I can apply to the area of the beams above the suspended ceiling to keep the LF contained?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
ill try and explain this as well as I can. Looking for your ideas on why and what mitigation I can apply if any..

Have a walk out finished lower level in a Cape. Ceiling is 7’ and has a suspended ceiling in the room. This is the Media Room (not quite a dedicated bat cave). Currently running 4 Sealed SI HT18s for LFE. On the main floor above the LFE content propagates through the floor and is almost as prominent as it is in the room at the MLP. Sitting upstairs it almost sounds as if you’re in the Media Room itself with the Subs.

The floor is cement and covered with carpet. I’m wondering if the cement floor is acting like a big reflector upward? I’d there something I can apply to the area of the beams above the suspended ceiling to keep the LF contained?
Is there any insulation in the ceiling? The obvious solution is to add more, but I know a lot of times with hung ceilings they omit insulation all together. Either way, fill that cavity!

You may also want to consider thick padding under carpet to do away with the issues caused by cement. Assuming you also have cement retaining walls, the ideal solution is to start building a 'room with in a room' which of course can get expensive or time consuming, if you DIY.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How is your HVAC configured? A lot of sound is transmitted via HVAC ducts.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
No HVAC down there. Main and second floor has it for AC heat is hot water baseboard.

Any recommendations on what insulation to buy that will be safe with recessed lighting and wiring and will act to dampen sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
No HVAC down there. Main and second floor has it for AC heat is hot water baseboard.

Any recommendations on what insulation to buy that will be safe with recessed lighting and wiring and will act to dampen sound?

That's too complex to just make recommendations - would need to see it.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
Understood. I’ll be doing some research. As the room is finished, and not a bat cave dedicated HT (as much as I’d love it to be some day) I can’t change the walls for floor but I can get that ceiling dampened. Maybe some wall treatments and bass traps as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Understood. I’ll be doing some research. As the room is finished, and not a bat cave dedicated HT (as much as I’d love it to be some day) I can’t change the walls for floor but I can get that ceiling dampened. Maybe some wall treatments and bass traps as well.

You must understand that bass leakage is very hard to stop. Deadening and insulation materials have minimal effect on low bass. It is much more looking to doors stairways and openings.

I suspect that you probably have your subs way too high. That has become the usual modus and its ghastly. I suspect one sub turned down much lower is all you need.

Currently we are in an era of severe sub overdose.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you seen the type of construction it takes to contain serious bass? I think you'd need a completely different ceiling to contain it as your concrete walls/floors do, simply adding insulation or traps isn't going to do it.

Or you can go bass-averse like TLSGuy (likely mostly from content preference, altho he also seems to have house construction issues where serious bass starts to cause construction issues :) ), altho that wouldn't work for me nor you from what I've seen in your posting.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Have you seen the type of construction it takes to contain serious bass? I think you'd need a completely different ceiling to contain it as your concrete walls/floors do, simply adding insulation or traps isn't going to do it.

Or you can go bass-averse like TLSGuy (likely mostly from content preference, altho he also seems to have house construction issues where serious bass starts to cause construction issues :) ), altho that wouldn't work for me nor you from what I've seen in your posting.
I don't have any construction issues other than the standard "stick" US construction methods.
That is why we so frequently see homes scattered like match sticks on the evening news.

US house construction standards are abysmal and need to change fast!

I do know my rig could reproduce an explosion with enough realism to push the windows out.

I watched the house next door being demolished last year, and observed the strongest part of American homes is the Romex cable that encircles the house.

The new owner is wisely building a concrete home.

I'm not bass adverse but I want it perfectly balanced and it is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have any construction issues other than the standard "stick" US construction methods.
That is why we so frequently see homes scattered like match sticks on the evening news.

US house construction standards are abysmal and need to change fast!

I do know my rig could reproduce an explosion with enough realism to push the windows out.

I watched the house next door being demolished last year, and observed the strongest part of American homes is the Romex cable that encircles the house.

The new owner is wisely building a concrete home.

I'm not bass adverse but I want it perfectly balanced and it is.
It may be balanced to your content and preference in music....and I was joking about the construction from a recent post of yours. Pushing windows out how much? :)

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern

Dual Cap 4000s on the way. We will leave it there. I self admittedly have a problem, and Jeff Permanian is my enabler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis