Low volume on left rear speaker

P

Patrik

Audiophyte
Hi all
Bought a second hand system off a friend some time ago and decided finally to connect my rear speakers to get the surround feeling, however I keep getting very low volume on my left rear speaker. I have done the Audyssey automatic setting a couple of times. I have tried to swap cables around and speakers but left side remains quiet. I also tried to adjust the levels in my Denon AVR-2113, but it doesn't help. As I'm new at this I'm not sure what to do next? If someone would be able to make some suggestions on what it can be I'd be more than happy.
If some more details are needed please let me know.
Thank you from Prague, CZ
Patrik

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Swap left and right rears. Does the problem follow the speaker?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all
Bought a second hand system off a friend some time ago and decided finally to connect my rear speakers to get the surround feeling, however I keep getting very low volume on my left rear speaker. I have done the Audyssey automatic setting a couple of times. I have tried to swap cables around and speakers but left side remains quiet. I also tried to adjust the levels in my Denon AVR-2113, but it doesn't help. As I'm new at this I'm not sure what to do next? If someone would be able to make some suggestions on what it can be I'd be more than happy.
If some more details are needed please let me know.
Thank you from Prague, CZ
Patrik
Welcome to AH.

Not familiar with that receiver. Do you have its manual? Check and see if you can use the speaker leveling section but that would need an SPL meter.
When you say you tried to adjust the level, was there in one of the setup sections?
If yes and no volume increase, then the receiver has a fault especially if the other channels volume can be adjusted.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I have swopped the speakers but issue remains on left side, so it doesn't follow the speaker.
OK. That starts to narrow down the source of the issue. You've said you have swapped cables, so we can rule out that (unlikely anyway) possibility.

I assume this has been validated with more than once source device (or with the set-level tone on your amp)?

To my mind, that leaves only the AVR. It could be physical or it could be setting. If the volume is consistent and scales consistently without any unusual sounds added, I would think settings.

Have you tried manually setting per-speaker volume on the AVR? What is the setting of the right vs left rear? Do they sound correct when using the test tone?

P

Patrik

Audiophyte
OK. That starts to narrow down the source of the issue. You've said you have swapped cables, so we can rule out that (unlikely anyway) possibility.

I assume this has been validated with more than once source device (or with the set-level tone on your amp)?

To my mind, that leaves only the AVR. It could be physical or it could be setting. If the volume is consistent and scales consistently without any unusual sounds added, I would think settings.

Have you tried manually setting per-speaker volume on the AVR? What is the setting of the right vs left rear? Do they sound correct when using the test tone?
Yes I've changed source device with same result. Right and left have setting -2.5dB. I increased the level on the left speaker to +12 dB but doesn't solve the issue, only adds noise like it's going to break. You mention "set level tone"…is that the individual volume per speaker?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I've changed source device with same result. Right and left have setting -2.5dB. I increased the level on the left speaker to +12 dB but doesn't solve the issue, only adds noise like it's going to break. You mention "set level tone"…is that the individual volume per speaker?
On most AVRs I've dealt with, when setting levels on speakers, the AVR plays a "chhhhhhh" sounds out of the speaker having its level set. I was asking of that was also lower than expected.

I'm having trouble imagining what would let the hiss of an over-hot preamp setting through but would still partially mute the speaker. Perhaps someone with more experience troubleshooting AVRs can chime in. With basically everything else ruled out, it seems like it must be a problem with the AVR itself.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, but "cables" aren't "speakers".
You are right, cables are not speakers.
But, he also stated in the same sentence swapping cables and speakers, meaning to me he swapped both in his troubleshooting.
I have tried to swap cables around and speakers but left side remains quiet.

Maybe I am just too dense to understand his sentence.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
You are right, cables are not speakers.
But, he also stated in the same sentence swapping cables and speakers, meaning to me he swapped both in his troubleshooting.
I have tried to swap cables around and speakers but left side remains quiet.

Maybe I am just too dense to understand his sentence.
Or you understood it perfectly and I'm to paranoid to work off anything I can manage to make ambiguous :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis