Low volume and distortion / cutout with Marantz SR6014 / ELAC OW4.2

A

alexn

Audiophyte
I'm experimenting with ELAC OW4.2 as my front channel (with subs). I have set the amp to 6 ohm, speakers to small, crossover to 40 or 60 ohm. When I turn it over -10db, the base gets very distorted, and at -10db it's only 85ish dB in my seating area around 15ft away and under 100db in front of the speakers. With my old B&W in-wall speakers, it even cuts out at this level. Shouldn't this be entirely adequate?

Last edited:
A

alexn

Audiophyte
Also, the ELAC OW4.2 tweeters do not sound as crisp or dynamic as the 20+ year old B&W in-walls, although I've noticed some frequencies missing with the latter. I'm unable to find the specs for since they are so old, and unfortunately they are oriented in the wrong direction for my setup, so not very practical, in addition to being not nearly loud enough.

A

alexn

Audiophyte
The amp also randomly shuts entirely sometimes. It's has 8 inches above it and is open air, tho running somewhat hot.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
First, remove the amp ohm setting and keep it at. 8ohm, you're only robbing yourself of needed power. What listening level do you normally listen to and how far away?

A

alexn

Audiophyte
First, remove the amp ohm setting and keep it at. 8ohm, you're only robbing yourself of needed power. What listening level do you normally listen to and how far away?
The power seems to be overdriving the system tho? Listening area for movies is 15ft away, and max volume before it gets distorted seems maybe about right. Shouldn't it be able to go substantially louder?

A

alexn

Audiophyte
I changed back to 8 ohms. Didn't change much, maybe less loud. Still distorts over -10db.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The power seems to be overdriving the system tho? Listening area for movies is 15ft away, and max volume before it gets distorted seems maybe about right. Shouldn't it be able to go substantially louder?
You're expecting an awful lot for a 4" driver that far and that loud. That seems to be your issue. You need speakers that can fulfill your needs. Even with a subwoofer you'd need pretty high crossover, which can present other issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're expecting an awful lot for a 4" driver that far and that loud. That seems to be your issue. You need speakers that can fulfill your needs. Even with a subwoofer you'd need pretty high crossover, which can present other issues.
Just checked this one out, what a waste of time.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I'm experimenting with ELAC OW4.2 as my front channel (with subs). I have set the amp to 6 ohm, speakers to small, crossover to 40 or 60 ohm. When I turn it over -10db, the base gets very distorted, and at -10db it's only 85ish dB in my seating area around 15ft away and under 100db in front of the speakers. With my old B&W in-wall speakers, it even cuts out at this level. Shouldn't this be entirely adequate?
I assume you mean you set the crossover to 40 or 60Hz (not Ohms).

That's way too low for such small speakers. They can't possibly produce bass cleanly under 100Hz or so.

Set it much higher, maybe 120Hz or even 150Hz. Make sure your subwoofer's crossover is set high enough to handle that.

What subwoofer are you using?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Those speakers only have 4" drivers. You are expecting far too much of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis