Low end Only...Above $300 not apply

bobcarver

bobcarver

Enthusiast
Please only post if you have had or actually heard the subs...NO SPECS ALLOWED!!! lol

This is not for SVS owners...:) This for people that don't or can't spend above $300

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is? Just to give subjective listening impressions of budget subs? What about people who bought used subs for $300 or less?

I'll only add one comment. Of all the frequency spectrum, one could argue that the bass region is most affected by a persons room, in addition to what any person hears is subjective.

All that being said I'll offer my opinion on my Polk PSW125. I've never measured it, but can definitely say that it doesn't extend very deep, but does an adequate job over its operating range. I've always been happy with it, and while I don't use it currently I always thought it delivered decent performance for what I paid for it (~$250). I've used it in several differently sized spaces and while it won't pressurize a larger space very well, with a little corner loading and/or a smaller room I think it does pretty well. I think I may look for it tomorrow and hook it up to see if it performs as I remember. Although it will probably sound worse after living with the other subs I have.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Bic F12 ,Polk PSW505, Klipsch rw12d, a pair of Dayton sub-1200's, or 3 dayton sub1000's... I think out of everything I have heard a pair of sub 1200's for around $230 shipped on sale is about the best sound for under $300, when the 12d is on sale for $300 its also a god buy, the psw505 is very capable for the price, and the f12 is about the best single sub budget friendly value I've yet to hear...

When it comes to subs and front sound stages you need to hear them in your room, there is no other way to figure out what will work for you.. Electronics, surrounds speakers, cables, stands, TV's, ect you can demo or see pictures, read reviews, check out at the store, and look at the specs and still make a good decision.. With subs and fronts you will need to hear them in your space, and compare them to a few options.... When I was figuring out my HT, I had to hang 10 different centers over my fireplace before I found the best one...
Obviously use reviews and recommendations as a starting point, and with a sub budget of $300, I have a feeling you will be between dual sub1200's, bicf12 or the polk 505 but still them are just starting points...

PS welcome to the forum, and whats with the name? lol...

bobcarver

bobcarver

Enthusiast
The name?....lol....Just tribute to the person that elevated sound reproduction, without really trying...

And the thread means subs under company warranty...Maybe another thread for subs from $301-$600 and so on...If somebody reads those...they can strike a bargain if the opportunity presents itself.

H100 Premier Acoustic PA-120 now $229...valid price point
step up to the BIC AcoustechPL-200 12 , now $279 best price, ....hits 20 Hz...not like the big boys, but hits it.........I know...I said no specs...just general specs...for intro audiophiles...:D
JBL ES250PBK for $199...If it doesn't have the amp circuitry issue, A steal...for the price, buy the longest ext. warr. possible...:)
CSX-12 Mark II...for $279...great price point...again, not to compare to the big boys, The Pl-200 hits 20 Hz better...but that's it

Those are the last 4 subs I had...Thanks for your input guys....

Last edited:
B

Banisher

Audiophyte
I had a Lava LSP-12 a while back. Sounded decent but didn't extend very low.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Parts Express has their Sub80, Sub100 and Sub120 all on sale right now. For $300, you could probably get 2 Sub120s.

bobcarver

bobcarver

Enthusiast
It seems everyone who purchases it has no complaints...

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
As a former Polk PSW-125 owner and now owning the Bic F12 for a week, the Bic is a better sub both in performance and value. The Polk was okay but spilled it's guts on anything demanding. So far my F12 appears to go lower and louder for a lot less money, at least to my ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis