Loudspeakers & Power Ratings Part III: The Test Results

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually I did understand your article as I understand Fourier analysis quite well. In fact that was why I made the point that people tend to exaggerate how speakers are more likely damaged by being underpowered. As you explained so clearly, it is the tweeter that gets damaged due to the high frequency contents of the clipped signal. When a solid state amp clipped, it makes the speakers sound terrible. So I would bet that normal people would turn the volume down long before the tweeters melt down, because normal people are sensitive to the distorted mid/high frequency signals. In doing so they will save their tweeters every time!

Regarding my suggestion of testing with real music, again I think you and fmw might have misunderstood my point. I was just trying to say that while you can damage the tweeter with tones easily, if you use real music, a normal person would not like the distorted mid/high frequency signal and would turn the volume down right away before the tweeter gets too hot. In my house even if the music sounds loud but not distorted, someone will still grab the remote and turn it down if I am not quick enough to do it myself.

In fact, I would like to argue the opposite that a high power amp has a greater chance to kill a tweeter because a normal person can withstand much louder level of SPL if the music is loud but is free of distortion. That's how I fried a tweeter as I mentioned in my last post. In fact at the time I had no excuse as I wasn't even listening to classical music that has quite passages. I simply got it too loud (no audible distortion) for a little too long, when I first added an amp to the front channels.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying your point. As I said I understood it the first time, but you did an excellent job explaining it the second time. On the contrary I completely failed to make myself clear in my post clear.:eek:
I think I understand what you are stating.. underpowered amps who tend to clip the signal and burn out tweeters is an audable event and anyone with half a brain hearing this would turn down the volume to prevent further damage from occuring where as an over powered amp would be able to deliver clean power and thru sheer thermal overload burn out the tweeter because a burning tweeter is not audable. :p Makes sense. However, the power delivered to the tweeters is not the same power that is being delivered to the woofers due to the crossover. This means that in an over powered amp, one could pop the woofer from simpy over driving the woofer (which probably would be heard but too late) then the thermal breakdown of a tweeter. I would hazoud a guess that it really is speaker dependent on whether or not an overpowered amp or under powered amp will damage the woofer or the tweeter depending on the ratio of power delivered to the woofer/tweeter.

One thing I don't understand is that pink nosie has more spectal power than white noise. White noise has in theorey an infinite bandwidth where as pink noise is a bandwidth filtered subset of white noise so I thought. (ive'e been away from school too long) .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
As stated, woofers are at less risk of blowing from clipping and another reason is that the crossover doesn't allow the higher frequencies from ever reaching it unless the clipped frequency is extremely low.

Having sold audio during the late-'70s when crap reigned, I don't know how many cheap speakers came in with blown tweeters and woofers (Shaak Electronics' Omega 3 model was a huge offender), but we saw a lot. These had nothing to filter the highs from the woofer and a little 3.3uF cap to the tweeter and maybe a cheap cap and small coil for the mid-range. Monday mornings were a big day for speaker sales because of the weekend parties. These were most often blown by people who could only afford a few hundred dollars for the whole system and power took a ride in the trunk when bigger speakers meant 'better' speakers and turning it to WOT was a common event because it just wasn't loud enough. Once people demanded better speakers, this declined greatly.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As stated, woofers are at less risk of blowing from clipping and another reason is that the crossover doesn't allow the higher frequencies from ever reaching it unless the clipped frequency is extremely low. QUOTE]

I would guess over excursion of the woofer would be the issue as shown in part two of the test, not clipping.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
This thread got me thinking that speakers need phase-change cooling.
As in, like the stuff in refrigerators. (I miss the old chip-con prometeia btw)

anyways..yeah...that article was amusing... but would be funner with WIDEOS!!!!! ESPECIALLY of that tone burst....
That would be pretty funny. Internal fans for speakers :D

B

buzzy

Audioholic Intern
Power handling is a poorly understood area of audio, so well worth exploring. And his project really sounds like a good time. I have to assume the editor took out the author's comments about having to drink yet another beer while waiting for the voice coil to melt ... tough work but someone had to do it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that many practical conclusions can be drawn, other than maybe that speakers are tougher than we might have given them credit for. Nobody feeds these kinds of signals to their speakers in this way.

And to say so definitively that power handling numbers are meaningless ... well, they probably are, but they don't need to be. A manufacturer wanting to provide some guidance probably could make some statements that would have some meaning, by making some assumptions about typical speaker usage. That is, if you're willing to grant that some assumptions have or can be made about how a somewhat aggressive user might use speakers, then non-meaningless numbers could be provided.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Power handling is a poorly understood area of audio, so well worth exploring. And his project really sounds like a good time. I have to assume the editor took out the author's comments about having to drink yet another beer while waiting for the voice coil to melt ... tough work but someone had to do it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that many practical conclusions can be drawn, other than maybe that speakers are tougher than we might have given them credit for. Nobody feeds these kinds of signals to their speakers in this way.

And to say so definitively that power handling numbers are meaningless ... well, they probably are, but they don't need to be. A manufacturer wanting to provide some guidance probably could make some statements that would have some meaning, by making some assumptions about typical speaker usage. That is, if you're willing to grant that some assumptions have or can be made about how a somewhat aggressive user might use speakers, then non-meaningless numbers could be provided.
So, Mahler Watts vs Megadeath Watts, right?

I think that's why the XXX Watts WLS and XXX Watts JBF was kind of an informal standard in car audio, eh?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis