Loudspeaker Opinions

H

Hifi Artist

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to break into the audiophile world with a cheap starter 5.1 system. As a bargain hunter, I've been lurking eBay and Craigslist for hours and hours, and have found some good leads, and would like some opinions.

Loudspeaker Options
USED

A pair of B&W DM 7 Mk II for $250 with a B&W VM1 center channel speaker for $100 (maybe less)
A pair of JBL L830's for $200

NEW

I've heard a lot of good things about the new Pioneer 5.1 system
It was recommended that I check out the Wharfedale Diamond 10's

Thoughts?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think that for your price range those pioneers are going to hard to beat.

On sale right now $49.99 for a pair down from $99.99

Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

The center is sold out right now, but on sale from $99.99 to $59.99.

Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker Each

These speakers represent a tremendous value, especially for the performance they deliver. I'm not sure what your subwoofer budget would be after you bought 2 pair of the bookshelves and the center, but there are some half decent options out there. A total budget would really help things along and whether or not you need a receiver.

H

Hifi Artist

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply, Fuzz.

However, I'd like to hear your opinion on this as well:

I just came across a potential seller for a PAIR of Klipsch WF-34 ICON series floor speakers (original price ~$1200) marked down to $400, with only slight wear.

I've heard a lot of great things about Klipsch, and I certainly have the space for it. Thoughts?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the reply, Fuzz.

However, I'd like to hear your opinion on this as well:

I just came across a potential seller for a PAIR of Klipsch WF-34 ICON series floor speakers (original price ~$1200) marked down to $400, with only slight wear.

I've heard a lot of great things about Klipsch, and I certainly have the space for it. Thoughts?
The pioneer speakers are a very flat measuring speaker so they'll be pretty darn accurate regardless of the material. Don't let the price fool you, the designer, Andrew Jones, knows his stuff.

As to the Kilpsch, they will probably be fine, however, you have to like Klipsch. If you've heard Klipsch before and you enjoy the "Klipsch sound" then I would just go for those. However, if you haven't spent a lot of time listening to Klipsch then I would just warn you that some people find them harsh and fatiguing after awhile. They definitely can sound good to begin with, but they generally have a "hot" treble which can really wear on you if it's not a sound you're used to and enjoy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis