Loudspeaker bases, spikes or something else.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Point of comparison, I have 34 pound speakers on 36" (about 90cm) stands. The stands are steel and iron, and two of the uprights are sand filled.
For reference:

These are my surrounds. the tweeters are 53" high (on center). 57" to top of speaker.
two of the columns are filled and one not? the empty one doesnt make sounds? They look too small to be filled

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
two of the columns are filled and one not? the empty one doesnt make sounds? They look too small to be filled
The third is designed to hide the cable... I have some pea-grave that I will use later this year to fill it, once I find the permanent home for the equipment rack. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It just occurred to me that in the original post, 'spices' are supposed to be 'spikes.' To the OP, 'spices' are the things you put on your food to make it taste better, like salt or pepper. 'Spikes' are pointy things that can serve as feet for speakers.

I was beginning to think that maybe putting spices on the speakers was a new audiophile thing to make the system sound better. Crazy, I know, but don't put anything beneath those dunderheads.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
It just occurred to me that in the original post, 'spices' are supposed to be 'spikes.' To the OP, 'spices' are the things you put on your food to make it taste better, like salt or pepper. 'Spikes' are pointy things that can serve as feet for speakers.

I was beginning to think that maybe putting spices on the speakers was a new audiophile thing to make the system sound better. Crazy, I know, but don't put anything beneath those dunderheads.
Some sugar inside the speaker will give a warmer sound.,,.haha.
some peper will increase the crisp.
they are new tricks like cat sand... :cool:
how come cat sand goes inside speaker bases..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

But shady... I want my chocolate-y lows to have a spicy-cinnamon Mayan styling. :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Dunderheads!!!!! Lmao

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Some sugar inside the speaker will give a warmer sound.,,.haha.
they are new tricks like cat sand... :cool:
how come cat sand goes inside speaker bases..
As I described above, partially... it dampens the steel from ringing, while adding weight to lower the center of gravity thus creating more stability.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
As I described above, partially... it dampens the steel from ringing, while adding weight to lower the center of gravity thus creating more stability.
I know but its still weird...i know what it does. It stops the columns behave like bells.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did fill my tube style speaker stands with sand at one point but when I moved I emptied them and never bothered re-filling them. I did it primarily for stability in that particular location, have not found since then that there is any audible "ringing" going on with them not filled. However, if you did fill the tubes of a stand and have a light speaker on top, it could only help stability....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That confused me too! I also thought he was talking about "bass" in the title too, but due to language barrier was just using the wrong spelling. He has a couple of threads about his subwoofer and "base" issues already, lol. That's why I told him he needs a new sub before it sunk in that he was getting some stands.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That confused me too! I also thought he was talking about "bass" in the title too, but due to language barrier was just using the wrong spelling. He has a couple of threads about his subwoofer and "base" issues already, lol. That's why I told him he needs a new sub before it sunk in that he was getting some stands.
It's all Greek to me!
:oops::rolleyes::cool:

Oh ya... @killbill13 IS Greek! :p

Don't worry, KillBill, I got your back!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Pogre thinks i am opening the same thread again and again with different titles ;) when he jumps in he starts with the same phrase.
”Get a subwoofer”

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis