Loud noise on Sub Woofer

M

marvontherim

Enthusiast
I have just hooked up my home entertainment system plugged in my subwoofer, lights on , no problem. 10 minutes later the thing goes crazy panging out a very loud pistant sound. I can only stop it by unpluging it.

What happened? Can anyone help?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
marvontherim said:
I have just hooked up my home entertainment system plugged in my subwoofer, lights on , no problem. 10 minutes later the thing goes crazy panging out a very loud pistant sound. I can only stop it by unpluging it.

What happened? Can anyone help?
What kind of system are we talking here? HT in a box?

Sounds like it is over driven and bottoming, hitting mechanical parts(piston sound). Cause? Receiver? Internal oscillation? Feedback?
Does it have its own volume control? Where was it? Did you level match them before operating?

M

marvontherim

Enthusiast
Thanks mtrycrafts.

The woofer is a JBL power bass 10.
By the way nothing is hooked up to the woofer. I just plugged it in.
It was in a entertainment center under the TV. I removed it from that location thinking there may be some feedback from someplace. Same results.
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=CREATUREII&cat=&ser=HMM

The JBL site has a manual but not trouble shooting solutions.
The unit has two dials non of which are volume controls.
I don't know what level matching id.

Thanks for helping me

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
marvontherim said:
Thanks mtrycrafts.

The woofer is a JBL power bass 10.
By the way nothing is hooked up to the woofer. I just plugged it in.
It was in a entertainment center under the TV. I removed it from that location thinking there may be some feedback from someplace. Same results.
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=CREATUREII&cat=&ser=HMM

The JBL site has a manual but not trouble shooting solutions.
The unit has two dials non of which are volume controls.
I don't know what level matching id.

Thanks for helping me

Not sure what the problem might be with this sub. It is part of a 2 ch system. Perhaps an internal circuit/design issue. It should not have happened with nothing connected but power.
May want to call JBL?

Level matching applies to 5.1 system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis