Lost sound: HDMI connection Mac Mini M1 to AVR-3310CI

Dynatuber

Dynatuber

Enthusiast
One day into setting up a new Mac Mini M1, the audio component of the HDMI connection to my Denon AVR-3310CI suddenly stopped working. Before I purchased the Mini, I successfully tested the HDMI audio/video connection to the AVR from my Windows 10 notebook and PC. The Mini's 4K video to my Samsung MU6290 HDTV and digital multi-channel audio through the AVR was absolutely stunning while it was working.

But at some point in the process of setting up and testing VLC and Foobar For Mac, audio through the HDMI stopped working. After troubleshooting the problem as an macOS Sonoma issue, I found even the audio from my notebook and PC are now also failing to pass audio via HDMI through the AVR and out to speakers.

The AVR-3310CI's settings are the biggest nightmare of a labyrinth to find and troubleshoot. I couldn't find anything in the manual or browsing settings manually that might have caused this.

The best suggestion I found online involved components 'hand-shaking' when they're 1st connected. so I tried:

* Shutting everything down and then starting the TV, the AVR and then the Mini. That and other sequences failed to get sound working.

* Switching the HDMI cable to one of the other 4 HDMI inputs, and changing the DVR component I'm using in the AVR:

Menu > Input setup > Input assign > DVR > HDMI2​

That failed too. The only thing I can think of now would be to a full factory reset. But I've made so many complicated settings in there like Manual EQ, the prospects of redoing it all is a bit daunting.

The Audioholics forums seemed like my best bet for getting feedback on this. I'd welcome suggestions for other online forums that may help with old AVR issues like this.

Kind thanks for any/all feedback.
DT

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
One day into setting up a new Mac Mini M1, the audio component of the HDMI connection to my Denon AVR-3310CI suddenly stopped working. Before I purchased the Mini, I successfully tested the HDMI audio/video connection to the AVR from my Windows 10 notebook and PC. The Mini's 4K video to my Samsung MU6290 HDTV and digital multi-channel audio through the AVR was absolutely stunning while it was working.

But at some point in the process of setting up and testing VLC and Foobar For Mac, audio through the HDMI stopped working. After troubleshooting the problem as an macOS Sonoma issue, I found even the audio from my notebook and PC are now also failing to pass audio via HDMI through the AVR and out to speakers.

The AVR-3310CI's settings are the biggest nightmare of a labyrinth to find and troubleshoot. I couldn't find anything in the manual or browsing settings manually that might have caused this.

The best suggestion I found online involved components 'hand-shaking' when they're 1st connected. so I tried:

* Shutting everything down and then starting the TV, the AVR and then the Mini. That and other sequences failed to get sound working.

* Switching the HDMI cable to one of the other 4 HDMI inputs, and changing the DVR component I'm using in the AVR:

Menu > Input setup > Input assign > DVR > HDMI2​

That failed too. The only thing I can think of now would be to a full factory reset. But I've made so many complicated settings in there like Manual EQ, the prospects of redoing it all is a bit daunting.

The Audioholics forums seemed like my best bet for getting feedback on this. I'd welcome suggestions for other online forums that may help with old AVR issues like this.

Kind thanks for any/all feedback.
DT
Do you get sound from other HDMI devices, like a disc player for instance? Did you check input assignments in the set up menu?

That is a very old receiver. How long have you had it? Is it something you just picked up? It is likely a device at the end, or passed the end of its life.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
There will be issues when the AVR is the bottleneck as it is here. The 3310CI does not support 4K and the latest HDMI and HDCP specs. Newer devices supporting 4K will be forced to output 1080p signals when going through that particular AVR and different issues can arise with different devices when doing so.

Dynatuber

Dynatuber

Enthusiast
Do you get sound from other HDMI devices, like a disc player for instance? Did you check input assignments in the set up menu?

That is a very old receiver. How long have you had it? Is it something you just picked up? It is likely a device at the end, or passed the end of its life.
I DID establish I got sound through the AVR via HDMI with my Toshiba notebook and old Windows 10 PC before I even considered buying the Mac Mini M1. On a very limited budget I'm still using some very old devices like the still brilliant W7 PC I build in '12. That old W7 PC only has multichannel analog outputs. So when my 1st Denon AVR started humming, I specifically looked for and found this 3310CI with analog multichannel inputs 2-3 years ago.

And yes, testing out that 'hand-shaking' suggestion, I tested moving the Mini's HDMI cable to the 2nd of 4 HDMI inputs. In input assign I changed the DVR device I have it set to on the remote to HDMI2 from HDMI1. When that failed, I tested connecting my W10 notebook and W10 PC to HDMI3, and assigning the HDR to HDMI3. I tried various HDMI configurations for the 3 devices, 1 at a time, and 2 at a time, and nothing enabled audio output.

The last thing I was setting up on the Mini before I lost audio was Foobar2000 For Mac that Peter Pawlowski has been working on for the past 5-6 years. I was testing different drop-down menu options for 'output devices' where the Denon was listed 2-3 times, and the Mini a couple. At some point whenever I selected the full name of the Denon AVR-3310CI from Foobar2000's menu, the AVR would immediately drop its connection to the Mini and just show the default black Denon screen. I have to press DVR again on the RC to get back to the Mini's desktop.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 4.13.38 PM.jpg

In the process of switching a HDMI connected device to one on an optical or RCA input, you can hear a mechanical relay click in this old AVR that sounds like some 1930s switching panel.

There will be issues when the AVR is the bottleneck as it is here. The 3310CI does not support 4K and the latest HDMI and HDCP specs. Newer devices supporting 4K will be forced to output 1080p signals when going through that particular AVR and different issues can arise with different devices when doing so.
I can't believe I hadn't checked the specs for this AVR's output resolution either when I bought it, or anytime since! :oops: But the playback of 4K video mkv files was really stunning compared to playing 4K content from my W7 PC via multichannel analog inputs, or via Kodi on a STB. But I see what you mean about a potential clash between the 3310CI's 14-15 year old hardware and firmware, and this newer Mini with all the changes in the technology over the years. I'm not optimistic about tracking down the source of the problem, or any solution other than maybe a factory reset.

Thanks for your thoughts on this guys. :)
DT

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
There are lots of different limitations and frustrations when using a Mac Mini M1 and apps other than Apple's own. Believe me, my Mac Mini M1 has been fun and infuriating and the same time. What kinds of signals are you wanting to get out of it other than two channel PCM for music. For PCM 2.0 and DD 5.1, you could connect it directly to the TV and a run an optical cable from the TV to the 3310CI. I believe that Samsung TV might support DTS Neo 2:5 for audio output which would convert any PCM 2.0 or DD 5.1 signal to DTS 5.1 for output.

If connecting the Mac Mini M1 directly to the TV, go into the TV's General Settings and then to External Devices and finally to UHD Color. Make sure it is turned ON for the HDMI port to which the Mac Mini M1 is connected. If connecting the TV to the receiver with an optical cable, make sure the TV is set to Audio Out/Optical for Sound Output. The 3310CI does not support ARC and that will not be an option here.

I would opt for the better picture here connecting directly to the TV. The Samsung TV and Mac Mini M1 both support 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 color. It will look great. Make sure to set the HDMI port to which the Mac Mini M1 is connected to PC mode as well. Good luck and have fun with it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot to ask about the Mac's Sound output setting. Regardless of Foobar2000's selected device for output, the desired device, which is the HDMI connected receiver here, must be selected from the Mac's list of output devices. Foobar2000 also supports UPnP and you can send audio to any other devices on the network that support UPnP.

Dynatuber

Dynatuber

Enthusiast
There are lots of different limitations and frustrations when using a Mac Mini M1 and apps other than Apple's own. Believe me, my Mac Mini M1 has been fun and infuriating and the same time. What kinds of signals are you wanting to get out of it other than two channel PCM for music. For PCM 2.0 and DD 5.1, you could connect it directly to the TV and a run an optical cable from the TV to the 3310CI. I believe that Samsung TV might support DTS Neo 2:5 for audio output which would convert any PCM 2.0 or DD 5.1 signal to DTS 5.1 for output.
Wow! I was coming up with a host of different adaptors to work around this problematic HDMI to AVR connection. But it seems you may have hit the nail squarely on its head with Mini to HDTV via HDMI, and optical audio cable out from HDTV to AVR. I already have an optical cable running from the Samsung TV to the AVR's optical input for when I occasionally watch Samsung TV and the PBS app on the TV.

And BOOM! Presto changeo.. swap one HDMI output cable from Mini to AVR to Mini to HDTV, and problem solved!! I couldn't be more stoked T!

If connecting the Mac Mini M1 directly to the TV, go into the TV's General Settings and then to External Devices and finally to UHD Color. Make sure it is turned ON for the HDMI port to which the Mac Mini M1 is connected. If connecting the TV to the receiver with an optical cable, make sure the TV is set to Audio Out/Optical for Sound Output. The 3310CI does not support ARC and that will not be an option here.

Another great suggestion T. I've never turned that UHD Color option on. Now I'm itching to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and Dune Part 2 2160p files in full 4K UHD color!

I would opt for the better picture here connecting directly to the TV. The Samsung TV and Mac Mini M1 both support 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 color. It will look great. Make sure to set the HDMI port to which the Mac Mini M1 is connected to PC mode as well. Good luck and have fun with it.

Under 'External Device Manager' in the Samsung's settings, I see the 'HDMI Color' option where I enabled that for the Mini. But I don't see an option there or anywhere else to set 'PC Mode' for HDMI ports.

I forgot to ask about the Mac's Sound output setting. Regardless of Foobar2000's selected device for output, the desired device, which is the HDMI connected receiver here, must be selected from the Mac's list of output devices. Foobar2000 also supports UPnP and you can send audio to any other devices on the network that support UPnP.

I was checking that setting when I was troubleshooting this from a macOS perspective. As soon as I swapped the HDMI cable from AVR to HDTV, I checked it again and I guess it must have instantly reset that from Denon to Samsung. What a smart world we're living in these days.. well, from a technological perspective at least. ;)

Thanks so very much for your input on this T! Am eager to go play now! :D

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Nice! Glad it is working out for you. The HDMI port to which the Mac mini M1 is connected can be put into PC mode by changing its label to PC. Press the Home button on the remote control and select the Source tile. The Sources list should come up. Highlight the Mac’s tile and then arrow up and select EDIT. Select PC to change the label and put it into PC mode. This will lower input lag and display 4:4:4 color properly.

Turning UHD color ON in the external device settings allows for 4:4:4 color and also effectively puts the port into 4K Enhanced mode. Some older HDMI/HDCP specced devices will not work properly when the setting is ON. With it OFF, newer devices will have there color output limited and subsampled to 4:2:0.

While it can output HDR10, the Mac mini M1 does not do so automatically for HDR content. HDR can be turned ON in Display settings but will convert and output everything in HDR10. This will make everything overly bright and colors oversaturated. It is best to leave it OFF. The TV also contains an HDR+ Mode setting that does the same. Leave this OFF as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis