Lost in speaker setup and configuration

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
Hi all.! New to forum and total newbie to home audio. So I do apologize if am asking the wrong questions.

Here is what I have currently:

Pioneer elite vsx-03txh

Infinity composition overture 3 type33

Klipsch rw-12

This is all the speakers that I will be setting up.

I have read every article until my eyes bleed. Watched every article and still don't understand front large/small, LFE or LFE+main, and how bass management and/or X-over work with each speaker size.

Any suggested tip for speaker size configuration and setup would be awesome.

Side note:
Vsx-03txh and rw-12 recently purchased to replace HK avr180 and Infinity hps-250. Hps-250 wasn't producing low freq. (Power light indicate is on). So replace HK with vsx-03txh and hps-250 still not producing low freq. Gave up and bought a rw-12.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Personally i would consider trying LFE+main and set for large. This lets the speaker operate full range and the sub as well. I would not place the subwoofer next to the speakers. It should be somewhere else in the room. Your mains are a large tower if I recall. Is that the one with front and rear woofers?

Set the crossover to 80-100hz and see how you like that.

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
Personally i would consider trying LFE+main and set for large. This lets the speaker operate full range and the sub as well. I would not place the subwoofer next to the speakers. It should be somewhere else in the room. Your mains are a large tower if I recall. Is that the one with front and rear woofers?

Yes they are, 2 front/2back all 6.5.

As for x-over setting. Is that for the towers or sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

What crossover? You mean the low pass filter in the sub? :) On my RW12d it is actually called low pass, too. No need to be confusing and I see that's what it did and just asked for clarification.

Pretty sure he means the low pass filter in the sub (might be labeled "crossover" rather than low pass filter, tho if you have the RW12d it's called low pass in the menu).

I'd also try using the avr to use a crossover with the speakers. See which you prefer.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member

Just the low pass on the sub. The mains would be run as large. No filter.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
What crossover? You mean the low pass filter in the sub? :) On my RW12d it is actually called low pass, too. No need to be confusing and I see that's what it did and just asked for clarification.

Pretty sure he means the low pass filter in the sub (might be labeled "crossover" rather than low pass filter, tho if you have the RW12d it's called low pass in the menu).

I'd also try using the avr to use a crossover with the speakers. See which you prefer.
Doesn’t the receiver still provide a filter on the subwoofer when in LFE+Main? That’s how the Onkyo works. There is still a low pass filter to set.

I have a terrible habit of using the term x-over for anything that is a low or high pass filter. I know it’s wrong, I know the difference, still can’t seem to stop myself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn’t the receiver still provide a filter on the subwoofer when in LFE+Main? That’s how the Onkyo works. There is still a low pass filter to set.

I have a terrible habit of using the term x-over for anything that is a low or high pass filter. I know it’s wrong, I know the difference, still can’t seem to stop myself.
In my older Onkyo (from when they still used Audyssey) it's called double bass and the manual doesn't mention anything about limiting the sub with a fixed low pass filter and there's no adjustment for a low pass otherwise (unless you're thinking about the LPF for the LFE channel?). Just says it sends the L/R/C bass to the sub as well when using the speakers full band.

Looking at James_Ngo's Pioneer manual the extra bass feature is apparently called "Plus" (pg 49-50), don't see a separate LPF of LFE, and a footnote about using the crossover setting says this:
This setting decides the cutoff between bass sounds playing back from the speakers selected as LARGE, or the subwoofer, and bass sounds playing back from those selected as SMALL. It also decides where the cutoff will be for bass sounds in the LFE channel.

Bad enough some sub manufacturers misuse the term crossover.... :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have read every article until my eyes bleed. Watched every article and still don't understand front large/small, LFE or LFE+main, and how bass management and/or X-over work with each speaker size.
Forgot to mention that all large means is don't use bass management, small means use bass management. Horrible terms but most avrs use them. LFE setting in my Denons that use the term LFE vs LFE+Main means using a crossover between sub and speakers (either globally or set per speaker). LFE+Main is the double bass thing Matthew is talking about. I tend not to care for that setting myself but I really don't need the low end from my speakers either with my subs but with one sub and two speakers it may be fine, particularly if you don't mind the overlap. I'd start with an 80hz crossover generally and experiment from there if you use the LFE setting. Set too high and you might run into sub localization.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
In my older Onkyo (from when they still used Audyssey) it's called double bass and the manual doesn't mention anything about limiting the sub with a fixed low pass filter and there's no adjustment for a low pass otherwise (unless you're thinking about the LPF for the LFE channel?). Just says it sends the L/R/C bass to the sub as well when using the speakers full band.

Looking at James_Ngo's Pioneer manual the extra bass feature is apparently called "Plus" (pg 49-50), don't see a separate LPF of LFE, and a footnote about using the crossover setting says this:
This setting decides the cutoff between bass sounds playing back from the speakers selected as LARGE, or the subwoofer, and bass sounds playing back from those selected as SMALL. It also decides where the cutoff will be for bass sounds in the LFE channel.

Yeah yeah, I’ll work on it.

I have an Onkyo or similar vintage. I believe the LFE filter frequency is also what sets the upper frequency limit for th sub.

I haven’t gone through the menus in a while. I’ll take another look and get the proper names and settings i use. I can add it to my bass management thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah yeah, I’ll work on it.

I have an Onkyo or similar vintage. I believe the LFE filter frequency is also what sets the upper frequency limit for th sub.

I haven’t gone through the menus in a while. I’ll take another look and get the proper names and settings i use. I can add it to my bass management thread.
In my Onkyo it specifies that all the LPF of LFE is for is LFE channel content for sources with such, not bass management; I think this is fairly typical of most avrs.

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern

Since the fronts have its own x-over(non-adjustable) and an internal amplifier that drive the 4 6.5 subwoofers with level control. Since avr will be managing the bass and x-over(low/high). How would the floor internal x-over interact with avr management.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since the fronts have its own x-over(non-adjustable) and an internal amplifier that drive the 4 6.5 subwoofers with level control. Since avr will be managing the bass and x-over(low/high). How would the floor internal x-over interact with avr management.

Mind going into your Tapatalk settings and getting rid of the ad (signature setting IIRC)? Gets annoying after a while.

I'm not familiar with your speakers at all; never had a speaker with powered woofers (wouldn't call them subs with 6.5" drivers) so I'm probably not much help in that regard. I looked briefly for a manual for the speakers but didn't see but a service manual and there's something wrong with it as it's mostly blank (at manualslib.com). I'd refer you to the speaker manual if you have one for that as I've got no experience with speakers like that. Cascading filters (running the ones in the speaker or sub as well as the one in the avr) is often not recommended, tho....one way to find out is to experiment with what sounds good to you. In the little I've read about using such speakers there seems to be some who don't use the powered woofers and use external subs only, some add them to the external subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis