Lossless audio is here for HTPC!

Senior Audioholic
Could be nice but as one poster said "I own the PCI Asus Xonar, and I can say that the drivers are glitchy at best, and down right fail at worst.".

This is very common with Asus cards.

Their motherboards rock, but my experience with their audio and video cards has been sketchy at best...

itschris

itschris

The more I thought about it, it's just waaaaay too much hassle trying to get Blu-Ray to play over an HTPC to the level of a good solid standalone player. Even the folks who really seem to understand and know what they're doing piss and moan about constantly having to tweak register and other software settings. I'm ambitious and I like love tinkering, but there comes a point where it's just pure hassle, espeically if I can't make it better than a $350 standalone player.

I still love the idea of an HTPC, and will soon build one, but I think I'll hold off on the Blu-Ray side of things for while. It's great to know though that things are really starting to progress.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The more I thought about it, it's just waaaaay too much hassle trying to get Blu-Ray to play over an HTPC to the level of a good solid standalone player. Even the folks who really seem to understand and know what they're doing piss and moan about constantly having to tweak register and other software settings. I'm ambitious and I like love tinkering, but there comes a point where it's just pure hassle, espeically if I can't make it better than a $350 standalone player.

I still love the idea of an HTPC, and will soon build one, but I think I'll hold off on the Blu-Ray side of things for while. It's great to know though that things are really starting to progress.
Especially when a good capable HTPC will cost more than a PS3 after all is said and done.

itschris

itschris

I mean, to me the value of an HTPC is music and DVR. It does both ridiculously well at a very inexpensive price. Different specs I've put together have gotten me under $900 for a very capable, really good looking piece of equipment that will look nice with the rest of my stuff. But once you add in blu-ray, things change. Suddenly you need faster processors, better cooling, add-in programs, hot running video cards, more memory, better/bigger cases... all to really struggle to get bd that will likely not be of the same quality from a standalone player.

Until, I can just install Vista, a decent HDMI video card bitstreaming lossless audio, and just turn it on and go... I think I'll pass. i'm all for tweaking and fiddling, but who wants to have to load multiple programs just to run a disc?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
^ I beg to differ. I built my computer 2 years ago for $600, all brand new parts from newegg. I just recently added a BD drive and a USB audio soundcard. Now, let's take back off the usb soundcard and add in the Asus card above. Guess $200 which is steep, but could also be an overestimation. 600+150+200=950 for my current tower. Not bad at all. Especially for something that can do everything. And even more so, if you consider that all the parts I have were bought 2 years ago. I'd bet I could re-build my current setup with the added components above for under $700.

HTPC's don't get expensive if you build moderately. Like anything, it's easy to get in over your head when you're looking at everything that's available. For example, when building a PC you can start out with $400 budget, and by the time you 'upgrade' you've spent $1k... but how many of those upgrades did you really need?...

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
^ I beg to differ. I built my computer 2 years ago for $600, all brand new parts from newegg. I just recently added a BD drive and a USB audio soundcard. Now, let's take back off the usb soundcard and add in the Asus card above. Guess $200 which is steep, but could also be an overestimation. 600+150+200=950 for my current tower. Not bad at all. Especially for something that can do everything. And even more so, if you consider that all the parts I have were bought 2 years ago. I'd bet I could re-build my current setup with the added components above for under $700.

HTPC's don't get expensive if you build moderately. Like anything, it's easy to get in over your head when you're looking at everything that's available. For example, when building a PC you can start out with $400 budget, and by the time you 'upgrade' you've spent $1k... but how many of those upgrades did you really need?...
So has this 2 year old PC been able to play BDs as intended with no problems?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't built a computer for quite some time, but Its probably safe to say that It might be just a bit early for Blu-Ray or all that lossless audio stuff.... but I do have to say that if Asus is putting products they are some of the leaders in the industry for bringing things to market quickly.... now whether or not they are reliable, well I guess only time will answer that question.

They have always produced amazing MotherBoards like 10010011 was saying, I have never had a problem with them... Maybe 1 or 2 puked on me in the 10yrs I was using them out of 100 builds... thats quite a force to be reckoned with.

I have had glitchy Asus video cards though...

All in all, this whole HDMI stuff has the entire industry fandangled with all the marketing restrictions from big brother that no-one can make any head way much less do they want to invest in it when the rules are changing from day to day.... How do you keep up with that as a hardware maker.... So basically the consumer is screwed here... Playing the waiting game... :(

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
So has this 2 year old PC been able to play BDs as intended with no problems?
Yes.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo 1.83
2gb Ram
250hdd
Radeon 1600xt graphics
Lite-On BD Drive
USB Audio (for digital)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I'm very good with computers and all but I haven't yet figured out how to turn my PC into a DVR with still the ability to watch tv when the PC is turned off.

I'll stick with my PS3 as far as blu-ray goes but I'd LOVE to be able to record my shows on the computer. If somebody experienced enough can PM me, it would be appreciated.

Finally, like itschris said, it's not the whole shabang that counts. I won't buy this card for sure but things are finally moving... others will jump on the bandwagon before we notice.

itschris

itschris

Yes.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo 1.83
2gb Ram
250hdd
Radeon 1600xt graphics
Lite-On BD Drive
USB Audio (for digital)
It's not doing lossless audio. An if you have no judder or other similar issues, you are certainly in the minority.

For me, until it's lossless, until theirs one all encompassing interface like Vista or SAGE where you're not cloning off the desktop, you cna have touchscreens that won't alter your resolutin on your tv, etc.

I just think we're a bit off yet on the BD side considering that you can standalone players for $400.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Like I said, I already had a PC and the cost to make it BD compatible was less than $200.

If I were starting from scratch, chances are I would just stick with a standalone. Especially considering that I'll likely never use my PC for full blown HTPC applications like some do. I just wanted a simple way to watch BD's and this was the most logical choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis