Lord of the Rings extended

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Anyone picking this up?

This is week it's released so I'm sure places like Best Buy and Future Shop in Canada have a special on it. Apparently it has 15 discs... that's a big deal!

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Mine should be arriving today. As for 15 discs...I'm slightly peeved that they didn't consolidate the DVD onto fewer Blu Ray discs (A bunch of those DVDs duplicate what I already own), but that didn't slow me down one bit in ordering it.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
It's still in my cart at Amazon. I see the set went down to $69.99. That's not too bad.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I got my set yesterday. Haven't watched any yet.

Jim

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Well here's a nice little benefit - the 15 disc Blu Ray set takes up a heck of a lot less space than the 12 DVDs in the 3 extended editions:

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'll have to set aside a day or at leasta few evening to watch this.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last time I watched the EEs on DVD, it took ~4 days, about 3hrs an evening. With no special features. I don't intend to watch all of them in one go this time though. When I had my broken leg and had some time on my hands, I was actually able to pick through most of that extra stuff.

Well here's a nice little benefit - the 15 disc Blu Ray set takes up a heck of a lot less space than the 12 DVDs in the 3 extended editions:

Gotta have the box for the whole set for those EE DVDs :D They sent it to you free if you mailed in the coupon.

For one thing, I am expecting not to have to switch discs half way through the movies either....so hopefully the films are one single discs? Anyone know yet? Mine are at my house, but I am not.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I wish they would just sell a 3 disc set though. I never watch the special features.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I know. It's still lame. They release the theatrical editions, and then make people wait months for the extended editions for whatever reason. They may as well make people wait a few more months and just sell a stripped down EE set. Of course, I don't believe that will ever happen, so I'll just end up buying this set. $70 is a good price, but I wouldn't mind paying $45 for just the three movies :)

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
For one thing, I am expecting not to have to switch discs half way through the movies either....so hopefully the films are one single discs? Anyone know yet? Mine are at my house, but I am not.
Each film is spread out over two discs.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I was also hoping for single disc movies, but I guess there's just too much data with these longer versions.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I watched Fellowship last night. I thought the picture looked great and the sound was incredible. I'm not in any hurry to watch the extras since they are the same as the DVD set and I watched them already.

Jim

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually was not impressed with the PQ. It does look good, but the changes made to it are a bit noticeable at times. There is apparently a whole controversy over the fact that color changes were made over the entire EE set. The official statement is that this was done intentionally as well. It doesn't take away anything IMO, but I did notice it before I even looked into discussions about the PQ (also only Fellowship so far).

The audio is excellent :)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I could definitely see the 'green' layer added and that it's a bit darker. It's got more of a theatrical look, not trying to be too "torch-mode" friendly.

I like it, picture and sound quality are amazing. I've only watched select scenes from Two Towers and Fellowship. I'll get around to a start-to-finish viewing soon.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I actually was not impressed with the PQ. It does look good, but the changes made to it are a bit noticeable at times. There is apparently a whole controversy over the fact that color changes were made over the entire EE set. The official statement is that this was done intentionally as well. It doesn't take away anything IMO, but I did notice it before I even looked into discussions about the PQ (also only Fellowship so far).

The audio is excellent :)
I looked at part of a borrowed BD and I was not that impressed with the visuals. It appeared that the digital FX in the movie were more visible than in the lower resolution DVD version. I loved the movies, but probably will stick with the DVDs until they release a one-box BD version without all the "making of" stuff, which I already had in the DVD version and probably will never watch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis