"Lopsided" bass-response in listening-seat with Dual subs

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
So after going Dual-sub, I've begun to experience what I can best describe as "lopsided bass", ie the bass seems to pressurise one side of the room more than the other.
To be clear, I don't mean to say I can locate the subs by ear, but one side of the room seems more "full", and bass sounds are more felt as coming from that side of the room, if that makes sense.

The room is somewhat L-shaped into a kitchen, with the subs placed along the separating wall between living room and kitchen.

My working theory is because one sub is more in "confined" in the room, and the other is close to the opening to the kitchen, what I'm experiencing at my listening position is uneven room-gain causing more bass to be experienced on one side of the listening space than the other, so what I have to do is gain-match the subs more closely.

The other possibility is that my listening position is exactly in a null, so my ears are experiencing the bass "out of phase" from one another, though that should only apply to some/one, and not all frequencies, and is also not something I was seeing with my DIRAC measurements.

My big mistake was not letting myself take bettere time with setup before running calibration, but I was wondering if others have experienced something similar.

Thanks in advance.

Picture for reference

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Best to have only one thread and not two.

Your other identical thread

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
Best to have only one thread and not two.

Your other identical thread

Yes, I agree. I actually only saw this forum after posting in Subwoofers first, and wanted to delete that thread, but couldn't find a "delete" button. Sorry.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately the only way to really know is to measure with a umik/rew. Your guesses found definitely be right but hard to say. Also, what steps did you take during set up? Level matching, room correction etc.

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
Unfortunately the only way to really know is to measure with a umik/rew. Your guesses found definitely be right but hard to say. Also, what steps did you take during set up? Level matching, room correction etc.
During setup I made the mistake of sloppedly setting gain on both subs to max on the Pa-amp I'm using (the driver/amp/preout combo I use has rather low total output relative to input compared to my other channels, so in order to avoid excessive gain increases in the AVR, I basically has to max the gain on the amp), as the subs are equidistant from my MLP (done to avoid issues with timing, because I only have a single sub-out on my NAD T758 V3, and not yet a MiniDSP), and I figured thus would also require equal gain.

After this I simply ran DIRAC's measurements and was happy with the summed response in terms of overall frequency response.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis