Looking to upgrade my speakers

C

chris9124

Audiophyte
I've been running a Mirage OM series speaker system for about 5 years (OM8, OMC2, OMR2 - 5.1)...I can't afford to upgrade everything at once, so I figured I'd buy the mains for a stereo listening room for now and then buy the rest of the system as money permits...I'm looking to spend between 3500 and 5000 on the main speakers...I've been thinking Revel, Kef, B&W, or Paradigm Signature...any thoughts? Your help would be appreciated :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
While I have not heard them, I know some users have the Onix Ref. 3s and like them a lot. PM Sleestack and craigsub if you have questions about them. They're very highly acclaimed speakers.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Chris,

Focus Audio FS78 SE
Ohm Walsh 200
Magnepan MG3.6
Vandersteen 3A, Quattro
Hyperion HPS-938
Von Schweikert VR 4jr
DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 8

Except for the Qauttros, I've heard all of the above - I can't claim a favorite, but that doesn't matter to you - these will all outperform the usual B&Ws, Paradigms...

Have fun!

C

chris9124

Audiophyte
I was reading another thread about speaker loads...most of the speakers that I'm considering are 4 ohm. I'm currently using a Yamaha RXV1400 - is 4 ohms too much to ask it to power? I had considered upgrading to seperates but the processors never have the features I want. I was dead set on going with the 4806 from Denon, but if it can't handle the 4 ohm load whats the point. I've heard it suggested theat you add a seperate amp - if thats the case why not go seperates from the start? Does anyone know of a processor that will have similar features to the 4806? Is Lexicon upgrading any of their stuff for HDMI switching and iLink? Thanks

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
chris9124 said:
I've heard it suggested theat you add a seperate amp - if thats the case why not go seperates from the start? Does anyone know of a processor that will have similar features to the 4806? Is Lexicon upgrading any of their stuff for HDMI switching and iLink? Thanks
.....now we're getting into the true meat and potatoes....question....doesn't a processor like Lexicon or others in the same category, accept the source signal, send it on to slave-amps, and negate the need for a seperate pre-amp, or does it?....and, would not having a seperate pre-amp do away with tone controls?....do higher-dollar processors have tone controls?....am serious on these questions....Mac, do you have experience in this area?.....anyone?....Bob told me one time not to go with Lexicon and named a different one....I will ask him what it was and get back.....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Depending on the speakers sensitivity and impedance/phase profile, room characteristics and listening preferences, you may or may not need another amp.

The RXV1400 is a great pre/pro. Your best route is to use it as such and buy an external amp to power your speakers (assuming you need one).

That being said we have some great recommendation tips here you may wish to consider:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11817

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking to spend between 3500 and 5000 on the main speakers.

I was reading another thread about speaker loads...most of the speakers that I'm considering are 4 ohm. I'm currently using a Yamaha RXV1400 - is 4 ohms too much to ask it to power?
The speakers discussed above rated at 4 ohms IMO is too much for the RXV1400.

I had considered upgrading to seperates but the processors never have the features I want. I was dead set on going with the 4806 from Denon, but if it can't handle the 4 ohm load whats the point. I've heard it suggested theat you add a seperate amp - if thats the case why not go seperates from the start? Does anyone know of a processor that will have similar features to the 4806? Is Lexicon upgrading any of their stuff for HDMI switching and iLink? Thanks
The 4806 can probably handle the 4 ohm load, but nowhere near as well as the Yamaha RXV1400 and a separate beefy two channel amp. Why not get the Yamaha 4600 and pair it up with a separate amp for the mains? Then you can get your Wilson Watt Puppies or something from Sonus Faber. :rolleyes:

B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
gene said:
Depending on the speakers sensitivity and impedance/phase profile, room characteristics and listening preferences, you may or may not need another amp.

The RXV1400 is a great pre/pro. Your best route is to use it as such and buy an external amp to power your speakers (assuming you need one).

That being said we have some great recommendation tips here you may wish to consider:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11817

I would agree with gene here. I have been using the Yamaha 2400 Receiver as a pre/pro for about 2 years now and am quite happy. My setup is a as follows:

Yamaha 2400 Receiver
Sunfire Signature Cinema 7 AMP
Denon 2910 DVD player
Magnepan 1.6's front (If you have the room to support their size and can set them up about 3 feet from the frout wall for the money I found no better sounding set of speakers, but will eventually up grade to the 3.6's)
Magnepan MG 12's rear (Honestly, the MG 12's are over kill I would recommend the Magnepan MC1's)
Magnepan CC3 Center
Definitive Super Cube 1 Sub
Home built music server using the Stereolinks USB DAC (This actually sounds better than my 2910 when playing uncompressed CD's (Microsoft's Lossless Codec) I have burned to the hard drive) The StereoLink DAC is awesome

I opted for this setup because the 2400 just couldn't effectively drive the maggies 4 ohm load. (Out of curiosity one day I tried it , LOL, needless to say the 2400 struggled badly)

I am looking to upgrade the yamaha 2400 and have just about settled on the Denon 4806 but will wait to see what the replacement to the Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi has to offer (Spring 2006) in either case they will operate as a pre/pro in my system.

By the way the use of YPAO greatly improve the overall coherancy and musicality of the system (I had the YPAO equalize the system based on the the Front setting)

By the way the my entire setup cost less than $7000 (Thank you Audiogon'ers at www.audiogon.com)

In short buy the speakers you want, invest in a great amp to drive the speakers, and you can continue to use the 1400 as good pre amp until you see fit and have the budget to upgrade.

annunaki

annunaki

Regardless of what some may say, the B&W 803S is a great speaker. You may be able to find a great deal on some right now as some B&W owners are upgrading to the "D" series. Sonus Faber are also worth a look, along with Martin Logan, and Monitor Audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis