Looking to upgrade my Front and Center speakers

M

Max997

Banned
I am new to the higher end of Home Theater equipment so I am getting what I can as my finances let me. I am looking to upgrade my front and center speakers and I keep reading that these 3 speakers should be the same make and series which makes sense

Based on what I have listed I would like to get some recommendations. I will be using this system mainly for HT and rarely for music. I would like to get some fronts that will sound good with what I have but speakers that I will also be able to use if I ever decide to up my power ( not in the plans but you never know )

I dont want to kill myself with price but I dont want to waste my money either. I would like to be around 1k if I can for all 3 or lower if something good is out there but I would overpay for the right speakers.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thats a great system you have there.

What size is your room, and what personal preferenses d oyou have (brighter, warm, bassy etc etc)

Are they going to be run large(I personally don't commend this) or small.

SheepStar

M

Max997

Banned
thanks

the room isnt too big, like 12x15 but all its used for is my HT

I have a sub and everything I read says to set your fronts to small when using a sub so thats the setup I plan on using.

I guess I wouldnt need too bassy since I have a sub and I will be running them small, I dont think I know enough to say if I want them brighter or warm though.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Max997 said:
thanks

the room isnt too big, like 12x15 but all its used for is my HT

I have a sub and everything I read says to set your fronts to small when using a sub so thats the setup I plan on using.

I guess I wouldnt need too bassy since I have a sub and I will be running them small, I dont think I know enough to say if I want them brighter or warm though.
Bright speakers have louder treble while warmer speakers had louder midrange/midbass. Personally I like warm speakers.

There is alot of good speaker companys for what your looking for.

Axiom
Energy
Mirage
RBH
Klipsch

Just to name a few. You should listen to what you can within your budget and see if you like them more then your JBL's. We can only recommend brands, you have to choose what you like.

SheepStar

M

Max997

Banned
thanks again

I'll look at the ones you suggested. what do you think about Mordaunt Short Avant Series. I dont know much about them but its listed under the sites picks and I was just curious about them

M

Max997

Banned
thanks guys, I appreciate the help

Im home sick today so Ive been researching this all day and I have a question

since I have a sub and I really wont be using this system to listen to music do I really need Floorstanding speakers and could I get away with just getting good Bookshelf speakers??? I was looking at the Axiom M22Ti on their site as a reference...2 tweeters and 2 woofers

it almost seems like if I get towers that I might not be using the speakers to their full potential and possible wasting money since I dont plan to really do any 2 channel listening

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bookshelf vs. floorstander

First, the M22tis have two woofers and a single tweeter, it is a two way bookshelf speaker. In comparision, the M60s have 1 tweeter, 1 mid driver, and 2 woofers. This 3-way design allows for a more refined mid range. The additional drivers and higher power handeling of a floorstander allow it to achieve higher SPLs. Finally, they can be crossed over with the sub at a lower frequencey, or you can set them as LARGE to have the mains and sub produce LFE.

Since your room is fairly small and you don't do any two channel listening, I think the bookshelf speakers will work well.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I personally think Bookshelfs blend better with a subwoofer then towers. I guess its cause the bookshelfs naturally roll off closer tothe cross over Freq.

I also don't recommend running towers full range(large) with a subwoofer. Thers too much over lap and the sub will sound quiet and hte bass will sound boomy.

The axioms you mentioned are nice speakers, there's a review on this site for them.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis