looking to upgrade main L/R, not sure receiver is really up to it?

B

buckbanger

Audiophyte
A couple of years ago I bought an Onkyo HT-S3100 htib. The receiver that came with the package is called an HT-R340. Now I'm thinking about upgrading the main front L/R speakers. I'm mainly interested in music (home theater is just a bonus), and the baritone range is what I feel like I've really been missing, so I think I really want floorstanding speakers. I've been looking around online and thinking something like Polk TSi300s or something in that price range would be a good bang for my buck. But I'm not sure if the receiver I have has enough juice to really take advantage of them, perhaps along with the three remaining Onkyo satellites, to produce undistorted sound at a semi loud room filling volume level in my 13' deep by 17' wide room. Help?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since you are asking about better music, I would not put Polk at the top of my list. I agree with the Ascends for music as they do a great job with pretty much everything; vocals in particular.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just kicks and giggles, why don't you visit local Best Buy store or equivalent and demo few speakers, especially Klipsch. If you like them (it's ether love or hate due to "harsh" sound some people describe - I personally love them) they can be good match for your existing avr, since they have unusually high efficiency.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis