Looking to massively upgrade my mains

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was going to also recommend Canton GLE towers, but damn the price has more than doubled since they moved from AC4L to the other distributor! $1700 a pair, dafuq?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would keep the JBL Stage A180 towers on a short list ... on sale at JBL and Crutchfield

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Are they a big step up? I mean, I see jbl at target and walmart...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Walmart and Target have nothing to do with the design and engineering of speakers ... And JBL was designing speakers since around 1940 ... the cheapy speaker is the Optimus/RadioShack pair that you have ... And free return shipping back to JBL if there is a rare chance that you do not like them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't speak to your Optimus speakers but in my various trips to Radio Shack was never tempted by much of the audio gear they sold either. JBL makes stuff from bluetooth speakers to some of the best studio monitors and a wide variety in between. Not all that many consumer choices as they once had, tho. I enjoy my Studio series (590s, 580s, 530s, 520C) from JBL (as well as my LSR305s and older 4311Bs)....I'd prefer the Studios over the Stages but you just missed a sale on the Studio series at JBL (altho Amazon's JBL store currently has 590s for $600 apiece rather than the list of $1000). My dream speakers are the JBL M-2s but only if someone else pays for them :)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wow, yeah thats out of my range. Doubled, huh? Man...
I bought a pair for around $800, shipping included, in 2018. Accessories4less sold Canton for years, but now it's sold by another company, and I guess they are a tad more profit minded.

S

Spkrdctr

Audiophyte
I also would look at the JBL speakers. Look at JBL and SVS and buy whatever you can afford. They are both great speaker companies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where's local for you as far as Craigslist? I've found some really killer deals here in the Phoenix area. I wouldn't mind taking a peek through your classifieds for you and see if there's anything interesting.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,

$400 is plenty to get something great sounding. You don't have to spend thousands to get great audio. It's more important to simply have competent speakers and then put effort into placement, room treatment, and having high quality source media. Huge diminishing returns after a few hundred bucks.

Check out:

And yes, DIY is a great way to go if you want to learn more about speaker building and get more for your money.

Very best,
Bigger is better
Diy isn’t always more for your money but some people are better at it , pre set up kits .
Add Klipch rp line and jbl 590 studios .
Studio’s or a190s

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Bigger is better
Diy isn’t always more for your money but some people are better at it , pre set up kits .
Add Klipch rp line and jbl 590 studios .
Studio’s or a190s
Where you been hiding at? Some of the old timers wondering where you at. Don't be a Stranger during the day! I enjoyed reading your post. Unless you turned into a Vampire like some of us on AH. Gene has been known to come out of his coffin around 1 to 2 am and postup articles he has been working on.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I am a JBL fan and recently replaced my previous bookshelf JBL Northridge, with the new Stage A130. Yes, JBL has been around for many years. Quality speakers at most Favorable pricing, for many years, but depends on what models, like any other speaker mfg. Their JBL Studio Series were very rewarding too, from reading, if you can find.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Where you been hiding at? Some of the old timers wondering where you at. Don't be a Stranger during the day! I enjoyed reading your post. Unless you turned into a Vampire like some of us on AH. Gene has been known to come out of his coffin around 1 to 2 am and postup articles he has been working on.
Not been sleeping well but I’ll try and post more threads , advice . I wish I could had got some infinity ♾️ during the sale but my mom won’t let me use my money .
Avg sleeping time 4am
Been watching tv a lot lately don’t understand this luncacy and crazies forcing everyone to wear masks that don’t protect anyone . Sports games with cardboard cutouts ha ha idiots ...

Last edited:
D

ddjr

Audioholic
I pulled the covers off and they sound better! Not as good as better speakers, but definitely better.
tmp-cam-5502047757930514563.jpg

Still in search of a great pair of speakers, just wanted to share. The highs are better, which is weird, because the ribbon tweeters are still covered??

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Ended up bringing my kestrel hotrods down here from the bedroom. Didn't even cost me anything!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis