Looking to build a DVD library!

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I recently bought an HT system and I'm trying to figure out what DVDs I want to buy/own. I currently have a few in mind but I'm looking for inspiration. Do you guys have lists of DVDs that you own? If you do, can you post links to it or suggest some good titles?

So far I own the following:

Pirates of the carribean (both of them)
Last Samurai
THin red line
Chronicles of Riddick
Pitch black
5th element

Want to get:

Black hawk down
V for vendetta
Hunt for Red Oct
Serenity
Braveheart
A few good men
Star Wars
LOTR

Please share any suggestions you have, regardless of genre (anything goes except for TV shows/series)! These are just the titles that have come to my mind, but I am sure there are a lot more movies that I like that I just can't think of just yet.

Let me know and thanks in advance!

B

B5I8

Audioholic
WARNING! Buying DVD's is extremely addicting. I just thought I'd share that since that is the case for me. I have to buy all the new releases every Tuesday, it is my ritual. I own well over 800 DVD's already and I'm still adding more.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the warning B5! I can see this getting addicting too, until I see the price sticker!! :)

I'm *usually* selective with what I buy, so perhaps I won't fall prey....do you have a top 50 of your 800 DVDs that u could recommend?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I used to buy a lot of DVDs, back in the late 90's when you couldn't rent them. Now I only buy the blockbusters (Harry Potter, LOTR, Spiderman, etc.) I found I don't often watch DVDs I own. As a member of Nexflix, I always have a couple of new releases waiting to be watched.

So I would say, be very selective to only titles you will watch repeatedly. Then you can put your saved $ into other things like upgrading your HT equipment :D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have about 1000 movies and concerts on DVD. Now I have started collecting TV series.:D

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Some of my favorites: Superman Returns, Tomorrow Never Dies, Die Another Day, Young Guns, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Jar Head, Lawrence of Arabia, Terminator II, Total Recall, Desperado, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Quigley Down Under, Snatch, Pulp Fiction, Galaxy Quest, Men In Black, and Gladiator.
For most selections, I prefer to rent from Netflix or Redbox rather than purchase. I probably would not have purchased my PS3 had I not been able to rent Blu-ray discs from Netflix.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Thanks goodman! How could I have forgotten Gladiator and Pulp fiction?!!

As for the rest of you....1000 dvds o__O Assuming u paid on average $15 per dvd, that's a $15,000 just on DVDs!!!

Holy smokes.

E

-Esoteric-

Enthusiast
Sin City
The Life of David Gale
American Beauty
Snatch
The Machinist
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
Dead Man Walking

I'll be back :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
evilkat said:
I can see this getting addicting too, until I see the price sticker!! :)

Used DVDs is the answer to that dilemma. Blockbuster or Amazon, or other sources.
But, HD is on its way. Maybe you want to reconsider low def DVDs? I am abandoning that collection.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Used DVDs is the answer to that dilemma. Blockbuster or Amazon, or other sources.
But, HD is on its way. Maybe you want to reconsider low def DVDs? I am abandoning that collection.

Dito...

I have about 8-900 dvd's and only a couple of hundred have I watched more than once. I havnt bought new ones in a while. The only new ones I will buy are concerts and one I am sure to get my money's worth! I will wait to get the new format (winner tbd). then I will be a little more selective...

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
But, HD is on its way. Maybe you want to reconsider low def DVDs?
Aaaah yes, the HD delimma. I refused to be sucked in to this pissing match which is designed solely to screw the consumer over, by making him/her buy movies over and over again in different formats!!

I've decided that I'm gonna bloody well get the movies I like in DVD format until the war is over and then I will simply switch over to buy HD content when the dust settles.

I refuse to...

1. ...wait until this war is over. The Betamax vs VHS war took a good 12 years to resolve itself. No way in hell am I waiting that long for this to sort itself out without buying movies!

2. ...buy movies in HD that I currently own in DVD format, unless I DESPERATELY need the xtra resolution. But u know they're just gonna re-sell the LOTR/Starwars trilogy/hexalogy just because we have a new format! Bastards!

3. ...buy new expensive equipment to play the content when I don't know which one will dominate in the end.

So I'm sticking to DVD, because guess what, DVD is gonna be around for a long while to come! I certainly cannot afford paying $30-$50 a pop for a movie! I know I sound bitter about this...because I am :p

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Joe Schmoe said:
I have about 1000 movies and concerts on DVD. Now I have started collecting TV series.:D

Same here, i just picked up both seasons of "sledge hammer" off ebay for $25 new,man was that show funny.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Two movies that i own that no self respecting dvd collection should be without are 'Jeramiah Johnson' and 'Hard Times,both of these movies are classics & are easy to watch a couple times a year.

Jeramiah Johnson is based on a true story of a trapper who had a long standing fued with indians,when he killed an indian he liked to eat their liver:eek: This is an excellent movie with plenty of action.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/

Hard times,this is my all time favorite movie,its set in the big depression where everybody is flat broke & standing in the bread lines,charles bronson plays a hobo who can fist fight like an sob,the movie follows his rise to the top of the cage match street fighting game.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073092/

JVC

JVC

Banned
A recent movie that has outstanding surround in it is "Flyboys". The dogfight scenes, in the WW I planes, are awesome! Another excellent one for surround is "Saving Private Ryan". A couple of really good ones for LFE (bass), are "Finding Nemo" and "U-571".

Here is my list of movies: http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/emoxley

A hint for buying dvds.............. check out your local pawn shops. I buy a lot of mine from pawn shops. It's hard to beat $4 - $5 each for them. Our pawn shops give 30 day guarantees with them (exchange only). Can't beat it, if you can find one with a good selection, and has a good turnover.
Good luck! :)

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
U-571 is another excellent one that i had missed earlier! THanks for reminding me! I'll have to look at ur list.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Serenity
Swordfish
Assault on Precinct 13
The Sum of All Fears
The Fifth Element
The Bourne Identity and Supremecy
Talladega Nights
Cars
Ice Age II...much better than I and not a sequel
King Kong
Enemy at the Gates
Brotherhood of the Wolf...very odd and interesting
Saving Private Ryan
K19
Forrest Gump
Hostage
Basic
Constantine
King Arthur
Lady in the Water
National Treasure
Knights Tale
The 13th Warrior
Master and Commander
Enemy of the State
Catch me if you Can
Spiderman I and II
Bringing down the House
American Pie series...hilarious
Jet Li's Unleashed and Fearless
Stigmata
The Exorsist
Caddy Shack and Back to School
Blues Brothers
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Long Kiss Goodnight

Meh...that is plenty...I have approx 180 movies and of that number probably watch 20 of them more than the once...I tried parting with them at a yard sale for $3.00 each but could not hehehe. What hurts is seeing many of my movies on tv in HD on a premium channel...I got a couple of channels for free for a year...while I have them on SD/dvd.

I no longer buy every "Tuesday Special"...just too damn costly unless it is a Blockbuster.
I usually go to my local Blockbuster and buy their "3 for $20" or "4 for $20" specials. It is a great way to get movies inexpensively. Make sure to check the dvd's for scratches etc. If there is a scratch that makes it unplayable Blockbuster will take it back for an exchange.
I also wait for the $6.99, etc. sales at Best Buy. A great way to get cheap movies especially when they are "Watch one time and put away" hehehe.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Now isn't a good time to start building a DVD collection...

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
jonnythan said:
Now isn't a good time to start building a DVD collection...
Yeah right, with that mentalitly I'll NEVER be able to build up a collection (see my previous rant post above!).

Kai, thanks for the list :) I didn't think about Blockbuster's sales! I am only going to buy movies that I think I'll watch over and over again for the time being. I'm surprised that a lot of you guys buy soo many DVDs but don't end up watching the majority of your collection more than once.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'd take the money I intend to invest in a DVD library and just buy a dual format player. HD DVD and Blu-Ray are about $20 a pop.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Unless there is something very specific that I want, I usually only buy DVDs that are five dollars at BB or CC. A big percentage of the DVD titles mentioned in this thread have been five bucks at one time or another.

Nick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis