Looking seriously at getting a 2nd sub for my main system

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
One thing this has shown me is that I need to do is take multipoint measurements because I didnt think there would be that much difference across the couch.
The bolded part is significant – it tells me you haven’t actually heard anything particularly noteworthy.

Looking the graphs, a couple things are consistent from one to the next. The differences at two of the locations are insignificant enough to be inaudible. The third location has a significant dip in the 90-100 Hz region.

How important is that location to you? More importantly, is it audibly unacceptable? At my current place, the graphs at five locations are drastically different from one to the next compared to yours. Yet, listening to music it all sounds fine no matter where I’m sitting.

Why is that? Here’s the thing that has escaped everyone’s attention: REW graphs generated with sine-wave sweeps only plot low frequency fundamentals. But the fundamentals are only one part of the “bass picture.” The notes from bass instruments are extremely complex tones with harmonics, overtones and undertones, in additional to the fundamental. That’s why a low “F” note sounds different on an upright bass vs. and electric bass vs. a Sousaphone vs. a piano vs. a tympani.

As such, at that less-than-optimal location showing the 90-100 Hz depression, it doesn’t automatically mean you’re going to get a “hole” when the bass line hits those notes. The instrument is generating sufficient non-fundamental information that you will hear everything.

In addition, movie bass is all about “boom.” That doesn’t even require as much accuracy as music.

So again, unless you can hear an appreciable difference between the three locations, I’m voting with @eljr: You don’t need another sub, despite what the graph suggests. IMO people should stop obsessing over their graphs and instead listen to what their ears are telling them.

Now, if you need more headroom, that’s a different story...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered a minidsp 2x4HD a few minutes ago for $335 Cdn off of EBay which includes shipping, import charges and excgange rate. The cheapest I found on Amazon.ca was $430.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ordered a minidsp 2x4HD a few minutes ago for $335 Cdn off of EBay which includes shipping, import charges and excgange rate. The cheapest I found on Amazon.ca was $430.
Curious, what was it if ordered directly from miniDSP?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Those prices seem really high! The miniDSP site shows $205 USD for the 2x4. Canadian shouldn’t be much different, should it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Those prices seem really high! The miniDSP site shows $205 USD for the 2x4. Canadian shouldn’t be much different, should it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I got mine for $194.00 US. I told the seller how much I paid for mine through EBay and asked the seller on Amazon and he replied with supply and demand. Basically, the seller was telling me he could ask that high of a price. Asking the seller that question on Amazon out in public will raise flags to some perspective buyers which was my end goal.

I also dont think you realize how expensive things are here in Canada.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I also dont think you realize how expensive things are here in Canada.
Correct, I have no idea. Is it not possible to order directly from miniDSP?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a Rythmik LV12F...front ported version of the LV12R, the sub I own now. I also need to purchase another miniDSP to help dial them in.

From the link below, you can tell that I was a busy boy as of late.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/3dbs-great-room-mainfloor-townhouse-open-concept-setup.113655/post-1469217

I get more tactile feel and slam from the greatroom (without it sounding boomy or overly bassie) with the little PSB Subsonic6 subs now then I get from the single Rythmik in the basement despite the basement being a smaller room. I've dialed up the gain on both the AVR and the Rythmik but I still cant match the output of the greatroom.

I looked into getting the SVS 1000Pro from several dealers in Canada but the cost still ends up being the same.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a Rythmik LV12F...front ported version of the LV12R, the sub I own now. I also need to purchase another miniDSP to help dial them in.

From the link below, you can tell that I was a busy boy as of late.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/3dbs-great-room-mainfloor-townhouse-open-concept-setup.113655/post-1469217

I get more tactile feel and slam from the greatroom (without it sounding boomy or overly bassie) with the little PSB Subsonic6 subs now then I get from the single Rythmik in the basement despite the basement being a smaller room. I've dialed up the gain on both the AVR and the Rythmik but I still cant match the output of the greatroom.

I looked into getting the SVS 1000Pro from several dealers in Canada but the cost still ends up being the same.
I would attribute the difference to being on concrete vs suspended floor. It makes soooo much of a difference.
FWIW, I say just pull the trigger.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis