Looking seriously at getting a 2nd sub for my main system

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that I have an AVR with 2 sub outs, Im seriously looking at getting a 2nd sub to even out the bass response in my room. I have Rythmik LV12R and looking to get a Rythmik LV12F which is basically the same sub put with the port moved to the front of the unit. Im going to take a beating on the exchange rate so Im hoping Rythmik is willing to soften the blow anyway they can for importing a sub into Canuckistan.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not only do I fully support dual subs, I love that you called it Canuckistan! :p

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I don’t see a parametric EQ in your equipment list. Why not start there? WAY cheaper than another subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry, should have specified an EQ dedicated to the subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't be so hung up on Rythmik. They make good subs but don't believe the hype that their technology makes their subs so much better than competing subs. If I were you, I would just look for a good deal. If Rythmik can import one inexpensively, that would be good. I don't know if Paradigm, being a Canadian company, sells their subs for less in Canada than the USA, but if you can get a deal on a Defiance X12, you should give that sub strong consideration. It will majorly outperform a Rythmik LV12r.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I have both an SVS SB3000 and a Paradigm X12. The X12 is far superior to the SB3000. I second Shady J on his suggestion especially since the Paradigm is a Canadian product.....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't be so hung up on Rythmik. They make good subs but don't believe the hype that their technology makes their subs so much better than competing subs. If I were you, I would just look for a good deal. If Rythmik can import one inexpensively, that would be good. I don't know if Paradigm, being a Canadian company, sells their subs for less in Canada than the USA, but if you can get a deal on a Defiance X12, you should give that sub strong consideration. It will majorly outperform a Rythmik LV12r.
I figured its easier to integrate to subs that are the same than different. I really impressed with my Rythmik sub. Its bass isclean an tight. I did look at Paradigm but I dont see any sales there.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll try again, parametric EQ for the sub may be all you need.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Depending on the goals for the second sub, perhaps for one seat eq could do it.
I dialed the sub in its current location and I did a frequency sub from 20 to 200 Hz and I noticed that the response was strongest between 30 to 40 Hz but output dropped off substantially between 50 and 60 Hz.

I then moved the sub to another area of the room keeping all the settings the same and noticed that the 20 - 40 Hz region output was very low but the 50 - 60 Hz region was pronounced.

I measured this using a Radio Shack SPL meter at the listener location.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dialed the sub in its current location and I did a frequency sub from 20 to 200 Hz and I noticed that the response was strongest between 30 to 40 Hz but output dropped off substantially between 50 and 60 Hz.

I then moved the sub to another area of the room keeping all the settings the same and noticed that the 20 - 40 Hz region output was very low but the 50 - 60 Hz region was pronounced.

I measured this using a Radio Shack SPL meter at the listener location.
I'm for multiple subs, don't get me wrong. For one seat eq and one sub can work well, but for even coverage over multiple seats multiple subs work better. Can take some time to set up right, but I think its a definite advantage.

ps and as to using same sub, some advantages there but I wouldn't have gone to the expense of Rythmik in Canada particularly myself.....

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Repeating yourself doesnt clarify your position especially since I responded to your previous post.
Your previous post did not clarify if you had a dedicated subwoofer EQ or not.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought I slow down and take some REW measurements before I jump into getting a second sub. All the measurement positions are in the same spots across the various EQ settings. Position 1 is where I normally sit, position 2 is on the right of center (2nd cushion on the couch) and the 3rd position is left of center (the couch doesn't extend that far so it would be a portable chair in that position. The thickest line in each graph is the average of all the positions. Manual EQ is me taking the YPAO results and adjusting it to attempt to get more slam in the 50 to 60 Hz range. Through mode is applying no EQ but using bass management. YPAO and pure direct is self explanatory.

One thing this has shown me is that I need to do is take multipoint measurements because I didnt thing there would be that much difference across the couch.

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry Wayne. I never saw your post about a dedicated SUB EQ. Who makes one?
As noted, the miniDSP products are popular. I prefer a pro-audio product myself, that doesn't require a computer to operate or make changes to it.

Re the graphs, scaling at 45-105 dB vertical would be better for analyzing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As noted, the miniDSP products are popular. I prefer a pro-audio product myself, that doesn't require a computer to operate or make changes to it.

Re the graphs, scaling at 45-105 dB vertical would be better for analyzing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Here you go

Attachments

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I figured its easier to integrate to subs that are the same than different. I really impressed with my Rythmik sub. Its bass isclean an tight. I did look at Paradigm but I dont see any sales there.
you just don't need 2 subs

that is just another "rinse and repeat"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis