Looking for the disc mechanism for a McIntosh MCD7000.

A

AlienMartian

Audiophyte
Not the laser. Not the gears. I'm looking for the actual motor and transport mechanism OR a non-working mcd7000 to canabalize.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Not the laser. Not the gears. I'm looking for the actual motor and transport mechanism OR a non-working mcd7000 to canabalize.
That is a first generation player. I note it has transport screws and is 14 and not 16 bit. I suspect you are looking for an early first generation Philips CD transport. As far as I know MAC have never made their own disc transports. Probably wise as exotic transports are almost always poorer performers than the ones at the bottom of the market. I had cause to open my friends MAC CD/DVD years ago, when he owned it, and found that the transport was a bottom of the market Sanyo!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC Sony made most of the ones for a variety of brands....but why refurbish such an old optical disc player?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

IIRC Sony made most of the ones for a variety of brands....but why refurbish such an old optical disc player?
The Sony did not have transport screws, and was 16 bit. I would bet he is looking for a Philips transport, when was very common back then.

People restore vintage electronic gear for the same reason people restore vintage cars, tactors, boats and just about everything else.
My brother Paul is just finishing up a vintage speed boat racer from 1963. It was a great favorite at Oulton Broad back in the day, and he is hoping to give it a run round the Oulton Broad circuit this summer. It is powered by a Jaguar E-Type engine, which he had just rebuilt. This will go along with his vintage car collection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sony did not have transport screws, and was 16 bit. I would bet he is looking for a Philips transport, when was very common back then.

People restore vintage electronic gear for the same reason people restore vintage cars, tactors, boats and just about everything else.
My brother Paul is just finishing up a vintage speed boat racer from 1963. It was a great favorite at Oulton Broad back in the day, and he is hoping to give it a run round the Oulton Broad circuit this summer. It is powered by a Jaguar E-Type engine, which he had just rebuilt. This will go along with his vintage car collection.
I was more curious why the OP was doing this. Sony didn't also do the 14bit thing? What is a transport screw?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I was more curious why the OP was doing this. Sony didn't also do the 14bit thing? What is a transport screw?
You may remember a few years ago, I restored my first CD player, a Revox, to as new condition.

That had the Philips CD transport. Yes, they were 14 bit, but a lot of gear was then. I think Sony was 16 though.

The transport screws, were two bolts that secured the disc tray for transport, to prevent damage.

Actually the execution was the important thing. That unit sounded very good indeed. There was no HF limit up to the limit of hearing.

Here is that unit playing a 20 KHz sine wave. As you can see it is perfect.

A guy joined this site and persuaded me to sell it to him. I got a good price, and I don't think I would have used it again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you meant something else by transport screw, yes have heard of such a feature. Pretty sure early Sony and Philips both used 14bit in the beginning....but that was a long time ago....old cd players just tend to be less useful than a modern universal disc player....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I thought you meant something else by transport screw, yes have heard of such a feature. Pretty sure early Sony and Philips both used 14bit in the beginning....but that was a long time ago....old cd players just tend to be less useful than a modern universal disc player....
Precisely, which is why I took my money and ran! I really only keep what is useful including archiving and what adds to the museum aspect of this rig, like the dbx disc decoders, and the tape decoders. The vintage turntables are still state of the art. I just did not have the heart to bin the Revox CD player since it was so beautifully made. The owner I sold it to was ecstatic over his purchase. So that was the correct thing to do. If I kept it, that would have sat in its box and probably been thrown in the skip when I'm dead.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Precisely, which is why I took my money and ran! I really only keep what is useful including archiving and what adds to the museum aspect of this rig, like the dbx disc decoders, and the tape decoders. The vintage turntables are still state of the art. I just did not have the heart to bin the Revox CD player since it was so beautifully made. The owner I sold it to was ecstatic over his purchase. So that was the correct thing to do. If I kept it, that would have sat in its box and probably been thrown in the skip when I'm dead.
Yup, it is always nice when a piece of kit finds its proper home, where it will be used and appreciated!

Sitting in a box, or on a shelf does nobody any good. Use it and appreciate it, or pass it to the person that will.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis