Looking for technical information about 4K Players

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm looking for technical information on how 4K Players are able to read and process CD, DVD, SACD, and BluRay. Do they have multiple lasers or do they have a laser with variable wavelength output?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm looking for technical information on how 4K Players are able to read and process CD, DVD, SACD, and BluRay. Do they have multiple lasers or do they have a laser with variable wavelength output?
They have multiple lasers.

I should expand on that. The red laser reads CD DVD and some can read SACD. A blue laser is required for Blu ray including 4K.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
They have multiple lasers.

I should expand on that. The red laser reads CD DVD and some can read SACD. A blue laser is required for Blu ray including 4K.
Any links? I tried Google but Im not finding anything really technical. Are the wave lengths the same for CD and DVD? How does the player compensate for the faster rotational speeds used for all the video formats when playing a CD?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any links? I tried Google but Im not finding anything really technical. Are the wave lengths the same for CD and DVD? How does the player compensate for the faster rotational speeds used for all the video formats when playing a CD?
CD wave length is 780 nm, DVD is 650 nm. Both in the red spectrum, and as I understand it generally use the same laser, but I think some machines may use two in the red spectrum

Blu Ray is in the blue spectrum, with a wavelength of 405 nm. That requires a blue laser.

Hard optical discs read from the inside out, the opposite of the old LP. The disc details are in what is known as the lead in data. Unlike an LP, all optical discs are read at constant speed and NOT constant RPM. So the disc rotates much faster reading the inside than the outside. The outer part of the CD contains the lead out data.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've wondered if there were dominant forms of the basic drive mechanism/laser setup like Sony I think had in a great number of cd players....
That's what I was thinking too. Sony made a TON of drives for all sorts of stuff. LG, lite-on, pioneer, etc. make a bunch too. Pretty sure panasonic and samsung are in that mix too. Might be thinking of Phillips. There are a lot in other words.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I was thinking too. Sony made a TON of drives for all sorts of stuff. LG, lite-on, pioneer, etc. make a bunch too. Pretty sure panasonic and samsung are in that mix too. Might be thinking of Phillips. There are a lot in other words.
Seems to me at one point I read some claims that something like 60-70% or so of the cd drive/laser core units were Sony made. Been a while, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis