Looking for suggestions on optimizing custom portable boom box.

P

pr3m0

Audiophyte
Hey all, I am new to the forum but have seen the abundance of knowledge that the userbase here has.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get a float trip boom box that i built to project further without having to be turned up so loud. We put this on a raft and float down the river with a ton of people for usually a 6-8 hour float trip.

Basically, Just let me know if you see any large flaws with the way i have this constructed, Or if there are glaring items that can be improved on. Any suggestions appreciated.

Specs:
Husky 37 in Mobile Job Box
106 AH Deep Cycle Marine Battery
Alpine CDE153 Headunit
Pioneer GM-D9605 Gm Digital Series Class D Amp https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D9605
2 Kicker 6.75'' component speakers. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC674/Kicker-43CSC674.html?search=kicker+6.75
2 pioneer junk 6.5'' speakers

1 kicker comp r 12'' wired to 2 ohm.
sealed box (would ported be better for large open spaces?)

All speakers are wired on their own channel

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions at all on types of speakers to buy, Batteries, isolating speaker air volumes etc.

Heres some pictures

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Cool project!
I am looking forward to responses.
Budget?
When you say project without being so loud, what is your objective? Do you get complaints from the noise, or are you having to juggle battery life with volume?
More efficient speakers will get you more volume without using more power.
I'd imagine there are some horns that project sound horizontally but not so much vertically, such that the sound is focused along the water level instead of being projected into the trees.

P

pr3m0

Audiophyte
Thanks!
Budget is around another 500$ i would be willing to put into it.
When i mean project, Its to get equal sound out all all angles. I dont know if its generally a bad practice to have four speakers sharing the same enclosure. One of my dilemmas is to get the sound to leave the front of the box where the subwoofer is i have to leave the lid open, Which in turn make the audio quality sound "fuzzy"

We almost never have any complaints about it, The only thing people ever request is to "turn it up louder" or change the song haha.

So with the current battery, It has a run time of in excess of 20 hours.

I through this together over a weekend and didnt put much thought into the acoustics of the box but just seeing what others would do to improve on it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
For wider dispersion think PA systems and horn (waveguide) mounted drivers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis