Looking for subwoofer nirvana, help wanted.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone. My current setup is a 3.1 system:
AVR: Yamaha RXV-375
Mains: HSU HB1 MK2
Center: HSU HC1 MK2
Sony Blue Ray
Panasonic Plasma 50"
Sub: Polk PSW110
Apple TV(just got it today, setting it up now)

I've been really itching to upgrade the sub, as I feel it is the weakest link in the system. Here is what I have come up with for a short list of subs:

SVS PB12-NSD
Rythmik LV12R
HSU VTF2

My listening room is 17' x 16.5'(2525 cu. ft), hardwood floors, 9' ceilings, with two 5' French door openings to other rooms, always open, as well as a stairwell opening and a doorway to a third room.

Looking for some experienced opinions about these options as this will be my largest single expenditure yet for my system. Maybe someone who has heard these in the same room? Or even perhaps a better option if someone is aware. Max budget is $700. Hoping this will be a dramatic and noticeable upgrade from the PSW110.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
VTF2 would be my pick, I have a topic around here from when I bought the lv12, also a nice sub for the price, but I prefer the vtf2 best bang for buck sub...... I actually prefer it over the vtf3 also.. You will definitely be in subwoofer heaven....

Also since you have hsu mains, why change horses now?

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
Well, I like the VTF3, but one of my placement options is between my couch and wall with 16" of width. This subwoofer is 17" with a sidefiring configuration, and the woofer would be pretty much wedged snug up against the back of my sectional which I don't think would work too well. Although this may be a silly reason, I feel like all of the adjustability and tuning options on the HSU would be more of a hassle than I am looking for, but maybe that wouldn't be the case, not sure. So I have possibly ruled out the VTF3, but the VTF2 is still an option. I am surprised you prefer the 2 over the 3, as normally bigger is better.

One thing I really like about the SVS is the 5yr bumper to bumper warranty, and I really like the electronic protection circuitry on the SVS that prevents the unit from being driven too hard. Seems like this might help avoid damage if accidentally driven too hard. Although this may seem petty, I also think the metal grille looks really cool on the SVS, assuming equal performance with the other options. I also like the extremely linear response of the SVS, it is one of the flattest I have seen with very low distortion numbers.

I try not to be overly brand loyal. I think the HSU speakers were the absolute perfect option for me at that price point for a number of reasons, but I don't want to rule out any particular brand in regards to the sub I choose. I am extremely value conscious and want to make sure I get great value for my money and a product I will be very happy with for many years.

As far as rythmik, the price is good at 599 shipped, it seems well regarded, but im not totally sold on the servo technology. It certainly does not seem to hinder the sub in any way that I can tell, I just don't seem to have a clear understanding that it is the ultimate technology for a superior subwoofer.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Out of those 3, the SVS is the better sub IMO. The PB12-NSD easily bests the Rythmik in build quality, linear response, warranty, output, etc. As for the HSU, the VTF-3 is more comparable to the PB12-NSD.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Out of those 3, the SVS is the better sub IMO. The PB12-NSD easily bests the Rythmik in build quality, linear response, warranty, output, etc. As for the HSU, the VTF-3 is more comparable to the PB12-NSD.
How do you know that PB12 beats the LV12 in the respects that you listed? Unless you have both and have measurements of both, there is no reason to think that is the case. Look how the FV15HP compares to the more expensive PB13. I can attest to the build quality of the LV12 predecessor, the FV12, it was a solid sub, and it was even cheaper than the LV12.

To the OP, from the three that you listed, I would guess that the PB12 has the most powerful deep bass, and the VTF2 would have the most output over 30 Hz. I think the Rythmik may be somewhere inbetween, probably closer to the performance of the VTF2. Any of them will be a major step up from your Polk.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
As far as rythmik, the price is good at 599 shipped, it seems well regarded, but im not totally sold on the servo technology. It certainly does not seem to hinder the sub in any way that I can tell, I just don't seem to have a clear understanding that it is the ultimate technology for a superior subwoofer.
Nothing is the end-all-be-all technology or configuration, otherwise every company would be using the exact same thing. The servo is proven and works quite well, but like everything else there are pluses and minuses. I did a review of the LV12R and really liked it, but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to hear either of your other choices. I can tell you that the Rythmik is a very nice subwoofer though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis