looking for some help please!!

D

dlink

Audiophyte
I am looking for a receiver around the 350-500 range. I have a room that is 22x13 for my HT. I have been looking at yamahas -denons and pioneer receivers. I have anthena as-f1 for starters and just need a nice amp and every sales person I talk to tells me I need a 1000 receivers. I am intrested in your thoughts of what would be a good receiver .

thanks all

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
it's a reach, but the Yamaha RX-V1500 can be had for a little over $500. that one sounded best to me in the demo rooms at U/E.

the latest Onkyo's in that price range ( models 502 and 602 ) have had notoriously bad video problems :( though you can get really good prices on the "last year's" models of 501 and 601 which did not have the same trouble :) .

the lower end of the higher end ES series from Sony (1000es, 2000es, or 3000es ) is also reported to have serious QC issues :( , but the Sony "budget series" STR-DA 895, 995, or 997 would be ok and well within your budget. :)

the Denon 2105 or 2805 (probably out of your range) are ok, but I thought they sounded kind of muddy.

go to shopping.com and price out a few of these. read some of the reviews. you should be able to get some excellent sound for that price. :)

S

Steve_Lazarus

Audiophyte
:D
Leprkon said:
The Denon 2105 or 2805 (probably out of your range) are ok, but I thought they sounded kind of muddy.QUOTE]

What is the definition of "muddy" when it comes to acoustics?? just wondering, the only thing that comes to my mind is that suction noise when you pull your foot out of some mud. :confused: :eek: :confused:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I've got a Denon 3805 and the only time is sounds "Muddy" is when I'm going through one of by hard core Blues listening marathons!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I guess my definition of "muddy" would be as follows: too much squawk in the vocals

they had Dave Matthews queued up at Ultimate Electronics going through a pair of Infinity Beta 40's. The salesman dialed up the Denon 2805 and the Yamaha RX-V1500.

On the 2805, you could hardly understand the words to "What Would You Say". It sounded like the teacher from Charlie Brown was singing, and none of the DSP's would clean it up much. No one will ever confuse the Dave Matthews sound with Robert Goulet for crisp and clean, but you should at least recognize the words as English...(ok well Southern Fried English). It was basically no improvement over the Sony STR-DA995 I'm running now.

the Yammy RX-V1500 did a much better job of cleaning up the sound.

the salesman blamed the sound board, the connections, just about everything in the room, claimed they hadn't optimized the Denon for those speakers, etc and he may be right, who knows, but the Denon 2805 was $ 150 more than the 1500, so what would you believe ?

I have a Yamaha on order. Just one man's opinion.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
dlink said:
I am looking for a receiver around the 350-500 range. I have a room that is 22x13 for my HT. I have been looking at yamahas -denons and pioneer receivers. I have anthena as-f1 for starters and just need a nice amp and every sales person I talk to tells me I need a 1000 receivers. I am intrested in your thoughts of what would be a good receiver .

thanks all
Most any $500 receiver from a good company be it Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo etc. should work perfectly well for you, and if properly set up will sound no different than the $1000 receivers from the same companies. The only reason to go for the more expansive receiver is if it has features that you need or want.

Nick

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I agree.

Nick250 said:
Most any $500 receiver from a good company be it Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo etc. should work perfectly well for you, and if properly set up will sound no different than the $1000 receivers from the same companies. The only reason to go for the more expansive receiver is if it has features that you need or want.

Nick
One thing nobody touched on is that those Athena F1 speakers are incredibly efficient! It won't take a megawatt unit to drive them to satisfying levele. With a receiver from any of these companies (I'm partial to Denon, myself) you'll do fine.

Also, keep your eyes open for any discontinued models that might be on sale for closeout prices. I got a great deal on my Denon 2802 when the 2803 was released and the difference in features was not an issue to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis