Play PS3
Play CD's

What I have for audio:

A very old Sony STR-AV1070 receiver
2x Polk 50's
2x Polk 60's
One subwoofer
One center channel speaker
One 'home theatre in a box' (Martin-Logan Dynamo)
To be played on Olevia 65" TV

Basic questions:

Should I replace the receiver (likely)? With what? Tips on specific models/deals, features...
I'd lke to get the right item, but like the 'sweet spot', not big bucks for little improvement

Does the HTIAB have any place, or did I just oops getting it?

Should I use the rest of the gear than the HTIAN for everything else, as it seems?

Any general tips for what I need for this?

Thanks.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
everyone on this board has their favorite brands. So that doesn't help ya much. The most obvious thing that stands out is you have 4 inputs into the receiver assuming you have a CD player that is a separate unit from the blue-ray.

So, your first order of business is the fact you will need a unit with 4 HDMI inputs and at least 1 output.

Next up is power output. Looks like you are running Polk Monitor 50's and 60's which can handle a good amount of output. So I'd say you want at least 90-95 watts per channel or more depending on your colume preference.

Do you want a receiver that is only good for 5.1 or can be expanded up to 6.1 or 7.1? Just a thought. Also, do you want to buy new or are you budget limited?

Personally, I like Yamaha and Pioneer. They are my personal preferences. As for Yamaha products, I like the RX-V line as the HTR series are typically at your big-box/Best Buy retailers and used to be "cost-reduced." One example is the Rx-V465. 100w per channel, 4 HDMI inputs, etc for an affordable price.

Basically, I'd start with a budget, then look at the top brands like Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. Eliminate those outside the budget, and then eliminate those that don't have 4 HDMI inputs. That should limit the options down to a very manageable selection. Do some research on the feature comparison and then pick one and enjoy.

Geez, maybe that wasn't so useful...

C

Craig234

Audioholic
Thank you for both of the replies so far.

The Onkyos do look nice.

One thing I like to do is look at 'what would I get by spending a little more' and feel like it's not worth it to know when I have the right item. Not sure what thatis for those.

I do expect to have a separate CD player - I'd bought a Refurb Denon, and it played, when I opened it after letting it sit after the warranty, for under 2 hours before something went so wrong that the local repair shop said they couldn't fix it at all. So I'm in the market for another, it might not be HDMI but RCA though right?

It is nice to have a little breathing room on HDMI though, never know if I might get a 360.

You're right, the good advice to research the units would probably work but getting the expertise and trusting hobbyists who do that a lot while I don't was why I posted:)

I noticed there are tradeoffs even in the two listed Onkyos above, gained and removed features, a suspected reduction in power because of the weight in 607, etc.

I guess the most useful reply might be along the lines of 'here are two great sweet spot picks, to pick between them value x or y. Here's a little cheaper model to confirm you don't want to spend less, and here's a little more expensive model to confirm you don't want to spend more.'

The general tips like 'avoid this and this other feature is important' like you posted are useful too.

That's asking a lot but what I try to get from the responses:)

C

Craig234

Audioholic
Good recommendation --also consider Marantz and/or Denon.

Peace and Good Sound,

Forest Man
Thanks; any particular models meet the needs above and are great values/quality?

A brand has quite a few models gradually going up in features, quality, price - and lots of little things hard to know about.

Just looking into the Onlyos I ran into threads talking about this and that model that had been great values, while other models had had 'stealth nerfs' etc.

For example, just on the front page is a Pioneer described as 'possibly the standard entry system' model it's so good, mentioning it has '3D' support, for just over $200.

No idea if it's a good pick or not - there are a number of very praising reviews:)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I have a SONY STR DH800....it has 4 HDMI in's, 100 watts X 7 can BI-amp and also does auto calibration via the included mic. I run a 5.1 system with two sets of front speakers, this thing has power to spare. I run a PS3, Blu-ray, HD cable box and have one spare HDMI port to fill....probably a Boxee Box when they come out. Most decent receivers offer the auto cal. thing so its not exclusive and it really helps to just be able to sit down with the cal. mic-push a button and all levels and measurements are made and input-it gives you a great baseline to start from. If you game as I do and watch blu-rays the auto cal thing is huge....just my thoughts.
Power to spare?? 2 front speakers?? So many things wrong in this post:eek: Stick around browse and search the forums and pick up some invaluable information:)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
If I get time tonight, I'll try to throw in some units that I would consider based on my wants/needs and those you listed. That may help you out.

One feature I do like is the auto calibration. It's good for average people who don't own the nicer calibration equipment. My older Yamaha has this feature and it is nice to run. Although mine says my subwoofer is et too loud. I didn't know there was such a thing!

C

Craig234

Audioholic
Thanks, looking forward to more advice.

What do you think of the Pioneer 9040? It's $525 but sounds nice.

Edit: wow, just ran across the Denon 1910 -for $400 shipped, off from $550 using a 30% off coupon code at 'Electronics Expo'. Whaddya think.:)

Last edited:
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
That Denon 1910 has good stats including the key 4 HDMI inputs and the ability to convert analog input to HDMI output. So that is a good feature set.

A comparable unit with slightly more features (questionable if you even need them) would be the Yamaha RX-V665 which can be found for about the same price range. A Pioneer equivalent would be the VSX-1019AH but is rated at more power per channel (but that's a posted spec so how apples to apples without using meters on all 3 units...), again for about the same price range.

Essentially, all three would meet your needs and can be found for about the same price. Actually, all more than meet your needs and allow you to expand to 7.1 should you ever feel the need to do so.

Point is, I think you'll be very happy with any of these including the Denon you mentioned. Unless of course there comes a time when you will want 5 HDMI inputs...:D

Last edited:
Cristofori

Cristofori

Audioholic
Home theater in a box is like wine in a box... Both are cheap, not very good, and not meant for serious connoisseurs. ;)

C

Craig234

Audioholic
I just noticed in a user review the Onkyo 607 is said to only upscale to 1080i, not 1080p; IIRC, the PS3 doesn't upscale the regular videos either.

Maybe that's one factor to consider. 1080p upscale for DVD's seems to be a definite plus.

Is 3d support something to look for? It sounds nice for coming technology.

C

Craig234

Audioholic
I have a SONY STR DH800....it has 4 HDMI in's, 100 watts X 7 can BI-amp and also does auto calibration via the included mic. I run a 5.1 system with two sets of front speakers, this thing has power to spare. I run a PS3, Blu-ray, HD cable box and have one spare HDMI port to fill....probably a Boxee Box when they come out. Most decent receivers offer the auto cal. thing so its not exclusive and it really helps to just be able to sit down with the cal. mic-push a button and all levels and measurements are made and input-it gives you a great baseline to start from. If you game as I do and watch blu-rays the auto cal thing is huge....just my thoughts.
Thanks for the pointer. One thing I noticed in the user reviews is it doesn't 'convert' between input types; the next model up, the 1000, does.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I just noticed in a user review the Onkyo 607 is said to only upscale to 1080i, not 1080p; IIRC, the PS3 doesn't upscale the regular videos either.

Maybe that's one factor to consider. 1080p upscale for DVD's seems to be a definite plus.

Is 3d support something to look for? It sounds nice for coming technology.
I wouldn’t be worrying to much about using your receiver to upscale DVDs if you plan on using a standalone bluray player.

In fact I wouldn’t even factor in a receiver’s video processing prowess at the lower to midlevel price points, since either your source or TV will likely do a better job of scaling and deinterlacing.

Furthermore, the PS3 has been able to upscale DVDs to 1080p since firmware 1.8 which was released way back in May of 2007; the only caveat is you must use an HDMI connection.

S

swingin

Enthusiast
Hi,

What I want to do:

Play blu-ray 5.1 sound
Play computer games 5.1 sound
Play PS3
Play CD's

What I have for audio:

A very old Sony STR-AV1070 receiver
2x Polk 50's
2x Polk 60's
One subwoofer
One center channel speaker
One 'home theatre in a box' (Martin-Logan Dynamo)
To be played on Olevia 65" TV

Basic questions:

Should I replace the receiver (likely)? With what? Tips on specific models/deals, features...
I'd lke to get the right item, but like the 'sweet spot', not big bucks for little improvement

Should I use the rest of the gear than the HTIAN for everything else, as it seems?

Any general tips for what I need for this?

Thanks.
Go with the pioneer VSX23TXH $600 6 HDMI, 4 in 2 out, new advanced auto MCACC is fantastic! Program 6 seating positions, 150watts X 7.1 @ 6ohm. TRU HD master audio. The sound is incredible!! The PS3 slim is the only unit capable of 7.1, DTS HD master HD, the old PS3s dont have that option..

I have read reviews about onkyo's over heating..

Last edited:
C

Craig234

Audioholic
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I have the old 80gb PD3 as my bluray player, not an Oppo or even a slim ps3. Might change later, but not sure it's worth the $ now.

So, the old PS3 upscales DVD for 1080p and it's not a factor in the receiver?

Is 3d support a factor if I want that later?

C

Craig234

Audioholic
I don't see many of the Pioneer VSX23TXH for sale, none at $600 - how about the Pioneer 9040 for $525?

It has 20 5 star ratings at Amazon and nothing lower - I haven't seen that on any electronic item I recall.

I'd post a link but not sure that's allowed.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I don't see many of the Pioneer VSX23TXH for sale, none at $600 - how about the Pioneer 9040 for $525?

It has 20 5 star ratings at Amazon and nothing lower - I haven't seen that on any electronic item I recall.

I'd post a link but not sure that's allowed.
Here are something to consider
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR806B/Onkyo/Tx-sr806-Thx-Ultra2-130w-X-7ch-Hdmi-806-Receiver-Black/1.html

you can probably get an authorized "elite" dealer to sell the 23 for 600;)

C

Craig234

Audioholic
I'm leaning towards the Pioneer 9040.

The pioneer VSX23TXH looks good too, about $100 more, not sure if it's worth the extra.

I'm also seeing the meesage 'the new models are coming out soon, better to wait'.

Any input picking welcome.

C

Craig234

Audioholic
For some reason there's no edit button so I'll add this in a post:

Amazon is frustrating with their pricing, changing all the time on the 9040.

The new Pioneers have me wondering - they mention HDMI 1.4, and 3D tv sounds great, so I'm wondering if that's a reason to get the new ones.

Not sure what I'd miss out on from the 9040, which otherwise seems great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis