Looking for options. NAD 757 and Denon AVR-X2500. Need more power?

S

stratos75

Audiophyte
Longtime fan of this site, first time poster. I just bought a Denon AVR-X2500. Music is underwhelming..I am planning on purchasing a new set of Klipsch reference series at the end of the month. The set comes with the r-625fa's (handling 100W cont) for the fronts. I'm currently using Atlantic Technology FS-3200LR-P-GLB speakers.

I still have my NAD 757. I love the sound for music.

My question is, what is my best option? Do I get a seperate amp for the Denon? The attached image shows my "pre-out" options:

Denon_Pre_Out.png

Can I use my NAD for the fronts in some way?

I have a few days to return the Denon. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Longtime fan of this site, first time poster. I just bought a Denon AVR-X2500. Music is underwhelming..I am planning on purchasing a new set of Klipsch reference series at the end of the month. The set comes with the r-625fa's (handling 100W cont) for the fronts. I'm currently using Atlantic Technology FS-3200LR-P-GLB speakers.

I still have my NAD 757. I love the sound for music.

My question is, what is my best option? Do I get a seperate amp for the Denon? The attached image shows my "pre-out" options:

View attachment 25853

Can I use my NAD for the fronts in some way?

I have a few days to return the Denon. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
That denon doesnt have pre out. Its just for subwoofer and zone 2/3 not any main channels. Think the denon 3400 is the lowest with pre outs and its a bit more powerful also.
Does the nad have any home theater bypass or such? Edit: Disregard, its an avr so unlikly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

stratos75

Audiophyte
That denon doesnt have pre out. Its just for subwoofer and zone 2/3 not any main channels. Think the denon 3400 is the lowest with pre outs and its a bit more powerful also.
Does the nad have any home theater bypass or such? Edit: Disregard, its an avr so unlikly.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on that.

S

stratos75

Audiophyte
Did you calibrate the system?
Very much so. Via Audyssey and my own ears. I guess I should not be shocked with a 1200$ NAD compared to a 600$ Denon. It just doesn't pack a punch. I was hoping either 1, an extra external amp would give me more "umph" or 2, I could "integrate" the NAD for 2 channel sound.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
According to Amazon your speakers suggest 140 watts so maybe an amp could help some. Since you're an Amazon shopper it would be real easy to test drive one and see.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Very much so. Via Audyssey and my own ears. I guess I should not be shocked with a 1200$ NAD compared to a 600$ Denon. It just doesn't pack a punch. I was hoping either 1, an extra external amp would give me more "umph" or 2, I could "integrate" the NAD for 2 channel sound.
Have you checked if the nad is upgradeable, some NADs are but im not very familiar with the brand.
Its unlikly that even the denon 4400 will come close to that nad in 2ch sound quality unfortunatly. If you happen to be norwegian it might be an idea to go by hifiklubben and talk with them a bit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you checked if the nad is upgradeable, some NADs are but im not very familiar with the brand.
Its unlikly that even the denon 4400 will come close to that nad in 2ch sound quality unfortunatly. If you happen to be norwegian it might be an idea to go by hifiklubben and talk with them a bit.

I bet the Denon AVR-X4400H and even the X3400H will come close if not better than that NAD for two channel music. That's based on my careful comparison listening on the two Denon with my Marantz AVP and two channel separates. The Denons have better specs, and better measurements too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are within the return window, you probably should return it and get the X3400H for the same price or less. The X3400H is more comparable to the T757. The NAD is heavier but in terms of power output they are comparable, the Denon has lower distortions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis