Looking for opinions on two sets of cans

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
I'm wanting to add a pair of wired, on ear headphones to my growing collection. I've narrowed the selection down to two sets. Just hoping to get some user feedback. If anyone can give me a breakdown as to the sound of either, that would be great. Any additional thoughts are welcome as well.
AKG Y50
JAY'S U-JAYS
At the moment I'm leaning towards the Jay's. I haven't run across a poor review yet, and they all state that these cans will happily handle any genre you throw at them.

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
How do those two sets of Senns sound in comparison to the HD1 on ears? I listened to the HD1 on and over, and honestly they just weren't ambitious enough for me. If I listened to jazz, classical, etc, I could see how they would shine.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How do those two sets of Senns sound in comparison to the HD1 on ears? I listened to the HD1 on and over, and honestly they just weren't ambitious enough for me. If I listened to jazz, classical, etc, I could see how they would shine.
Mark, We aren't mind readers. You said "any genre". I prefer headphones and speakers which play recording as it was recorded, as accurately as possible, but If you prefer headphones which boost bass which could be prefered for bass heavy music, then I'd look at Audio-Technica ATH-M30x or M40x.

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
Haha. I was referring to the headphones when I said any genre. I stated that reviews said they could handle any genre. Would be cool if you were a mind reader though.
I'm not looking for bass bloated headphones either. I listen to mostly classic and butt rock. I should have also stated that I'm looking for a portable set, though I suppose some could have assumed such based on the models I listed. So 10 to 12 foot auxiliary cords aren't the best option.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why you want on-ear? I personally find them really uncomfortable for any extended time. Out of your options I would go for AKG as it is well known compaby. How ever if I was you I would take a look on Sennheiser and Grado for on-ear headphones. From Sennheiser Momentums are great headphones with neutral sound, it might get some time to get used to the sound if you are used to boosted sound signature tho.

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
I have 2 sets of Audio Technica over ear cans. I want something lighter and more portable to add to the rotation.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 2 sets of Audio Technica over-ear cans. I want something lighter and more portable to add to the rotation.
I own these and these are most portable on-ears I could find (much smaller than your runners-up). When folded they take very little space in my bag. on ears conformable and great sound. Cons: I bought them on sale around $70. good luck finding them now at this price. Another issue is not every mobile device has the power to drive these, they are very inefficient. works fine with my surface pro and Galaxy s8, but was poop with my old LG G4.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sennheiser/PX_200-II/

Last edited:
M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
I own these and these are most portable on-ears I could find (much smaller than your runners-up). When folded they take very little space in my bag. on ears conformable and great sound. Cons: I bought them on sale around $70. good luck finding them now at this price. Another issue is not every mobile device has power to drive these, they are very inefficient. works fine with my surface pro and Galaxy s8, but was poop with me old LG G4.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sennheiser/PX_200-II/
Which headphones are you referring to?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Haha. I was referring to the headphones when I said any genre. I stated that reviews said they could handle any genre. Would be cool if you were a mind reader though.
I'm not looking for bass bloated headphones either. I listen to mostly classic and butt rock. I should have also stated that I'm looking for a portable set, though I suppose some could have assumed such based on the models I listed. So 10 to 12 foot auxiliary cords aren't the best option.
LOL, man I haven't heard anyone other than myself use "butt rock" in years!

I'm a fan of AKG, but I haven't heard that set of cans either. I really like the Senn HD598 SE, those are the open back, but they don't dig the deepest on the bass. There is a new closed-back CS model that may be worth a look.

I've also been wanting to try some Grado, never heard any.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@Mark Hogquist would the E-Mu Purplehearts meet all your criteria? If you were a little less picky about circumaural headphones I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD 579 open-backs, although with those 50Ω drivers you'd probably need a portable headphone amp as well. I think Philips also makes some cans in this price range that punch above their weight class. @afterlife2 do you have any recommendations?

Last edited:
M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendations guys. After doing some more research, I found a set that really peeked my interest and checked all the boxes, plus some. I also got lucky and found a new in box pair on ebay that was at near end auction, and happened to win at a smokin price.
Marshall Mid Wireless

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis