Looking for opinions on receiver brand reliability

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
I didn't know Crutchfield is usually priced higher, that's good information.

HDMI units run a little hotter than non? I do have a place on the entertainment center that is more open, I may be able to place it there, but i do need to get need to get permission from the wife first though... I don't run things too loud but I think the power amps do heat up regardless. My Sony has a huge heat sink for the power amps, i assume the newer ones do too.

I wasn't sure how SONY is these days.

How is the sound quality from the different manufactures differ? variation among brands and compared to my older Sony? I'm running a small set Polks.

Should i get hung up over signal/noise specs?
If you have local home theater stores you can visit. You maybe able to get demos of the different AV receivers, and compare differences in the audio, from the different brands compared to your Sony receiver. You could carry along some of your audio material that you listen too as reference, and have it played. But most likely there maybe a difference in sound, due to localization of their products, compared to your listening room or area and differences in devices and speakers in use. However, you would be able to hear something that is of your personal taste.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
By all accounts SONY is still going strong. I haven't seen many complaints anyway. If you can find a similar SONY model at that price I don't think you'd be going wrong. Heat would still be an issue tho, so I'd campaign hard for the more open spot and plan on getting some air flowing through there one way or another.

I really like the Denon for $549. That's a very good price for a unit that originally retailed for $999 not too terrible long ago. Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ (for room correction) is a big plus in my eyes also. Especially if you have or ever plan to get a subwoofer or 2. Bang for buck I think it's about the best deal going right now.
I can place the unit in the open area, how hot do they get? are they warm even when powered off?

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
If you have local home theater stores you can visit. You maybe able to get demos of the different AV receivers, and compare differences in the audio, from the different brands compared to your Sony receiver. You could carry along some of your audio material that you listen too as reference, and have it played. But most likely there maybe a difference in sound, due to localization of their products, compared to your listening room or area and differences in devices and speakers in use. However, you would be able to hear something that is of your personal taste.
good idea. thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I hope this post is relevant here.

I have a Sony receiver (20 years old) that has the protection error and I tried to fix it but was unsuccessful so i'm looking for a stereo receiver for under $600. I may hook the TV up to it so I can listen to it thru my speakers. So I guess this qualifies as a AV receiver. I was looking at an Onkyo (TX 8270) on Crutchfield but before I buy I would like to hear what you guys have to say on brand reliability for todays receivers. What is the reliability rating order for todays receivers? thanks
"Protection error"? What is that? Did you use a service manual to try to fix it, or just hunt for a cause? Look at the regulators after verifying the load. If it still trips without a load, I would suspect a regulator or maybe, a ground issue.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
good idea. thanks
I wouldn't put too much into looking for which one "sounds" best because they all should sound the same in a pure direct mode with no eq. Personally I really like 3500 with XT32 for room correction. The price is right, that's for sure.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
"Protection error"? What is that? Did you use a service manual to try to fix it, or just hunt for a cause? Look at the regulators after verifying the load. If it still trips without a load, I would suspect a regulator or maybe, a ground issue.
protection circuit is designed to protect the amplifiers. if something gets shorted ie speaker wires, it trips. I trouble shot it and came up with a pair of amplifiers (darlington paired) blown so i replaced them and the problem still exists. so something else is causing it and am not going to mess with it anymore.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't put too much into looking for which one "sounds" best because they all should sound the same in a pure direct mode with no eq. Personally I really like 3500 with XT32 for room correction. The price is right, that's for sure.
what is room correction? at first i was going to just buy a stereo receiver but after getting into it a little, the speakers on my TV are not that good so maybe get something that i could run the TV sound thru my polks. and maybe get some additional speakers. the 3500 sounds like a nice unit and a nice price. Still not sure what i am going to do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Room correction software like the Audyssey in the Denon & Marantz avrs (or Yamaha's YPAO or Onkyo's AccuEQ or Pioneer's MCACC, Anthem's ARC (Anthem Room Correction),and others like Dirac or Trinnov) is basically an eq target of flat response and applying eq to your speakers to get such response in your particular room. Think of it as the modern graphic eq (but with modern electronic filters) done automatically with the help of a measuring microphone...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
what is room correction? at first i was going to just buy a stereo receiver but after getting into it a little, the speakers on my TV are not that good so maybe get something that i could run the TV sound thru my polks. and maybe get some additional speakers. the 3500 sounds like a nice unit and a nice price. Still not sure what i am going to do.
What HD said above. AVRs with room correction come included with a small mic and use sound bursts to measure the acoustics of your room and make eq adjustments so you're getting the best possible sound at your seat. That's the idea anyway. Some do the job better than others and a lot depends on your room and layout too. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is one of the better ones in my experience. YMMV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your Yamaha RXV3800 has YPAO....altho not the latest version....

highfigh

highfigh

protection circuit is designed to protect the amplifiers. if something gets shorted ie speaker wires, it trips. I trouble shot it and came up with a pair of amplifiers (darlington paired) blown so i replaced them and the problem still exists. so something else is causing it and am not going to mess with it anymore.

I know what it's supposed to do but calling it an error is wrong- it's a fault condition.

Did you download the service manual? If not, I would suggest it. Also, as I wrote, I would check the regulator(s) because it's a common issue in Sony receivers. In addition, check the driver transistors and pre-drivers. If it's Direct Coupled, the damage spreads like a fire when the outputs go away. If it's not Direct Coupled, check the coupling caps if it's not made of surface-mount components.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
I know what it's supposed to do but calling it an error is wrong- it's a fault condition.

Did you download the service manual? If not, I would suggest it. Also, as I wrote, I would check the regulator(s) because it's a common issue in Sony receivers. In addition, check the driver transistors and pre-drivers. If it's Direct Coupled, the damage spreads like a fire when the outputs go away. If it's not Direct Coupled, check the coupling caps if it's not made of surface-mount components.
you are correct, it is a fault condition. I should download the service manual. What do you mean by direct coupled? the amplifier circuits are not surface mounted.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
you are correct, it is a fault condition. I should download the service manual. What do you mean by direct coupled? the amplifier circuits are not surface mounted.

I have the service manual. I haven't looked at it yet, though. but I'm going to give it another crack at it. Are you saying that if it is not direct coupled, there will be capacitors in the circuit for protection and one of these may have either opened up or shorted? thanks highfigh for nudging me to take another and a better look at it. It is a good receiver and would hate to scrap it. .

highfigh

highfigh

I have the service manual. I haven't looked at it yet, though. but I'm going to give it another crack at it. Are you saying that if it is not direct coupled, there will be capacitors in the circuit for protection and one of these may have either opened up or shorted? thanks highfigh for nudging me to take another and a better look at it. It is a good receiver and would hate to scrap it. .
Not for protection, they're sometimes used to couple different sections of the whole unit, for instance, the input to the tone controls, the tone controls to the preamp output and at the power amp input. They don't pass Direct Current, so that plays a part in how far the damage goes and how quickly. If it's Direct Coupled, the damage is like wildfire because the audio circuits aren't supposed to have Direct Current in the signal path That was OK for tube equipment because it was always capacitor-coupled and in fact, most of a tube amp has Direct Current on the signal path until it's time to remove it or route it somewhere else.

Amplifiers don't use only one stage to achieve the total output power- think of it as baby steps- if a section provides too much gain, it tends to be noisy.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
Onkyo happens to have a pretty horrible record for their HDMI boards failing. In most cases, it's just a few of the capacitors that require replacing to resolve this issue. I have an Onkyo TX-NR787 that I've purchased a used HDMI board for. I'll first replace the capacitors on the board, then install it in the receiver and get it up and running properly.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Onkyo happens to have a pretty horrible record for their HDMI boards failing. In most cases, it's just a few of the capacitors that require replacing to resolve this issue. I have an Onkyo TX-NR787 that I've purchased a used HDMI board for. I'll first replace the capacitors on the board, then install it in the receiver and get it up and running properly.
thanks ! i'm leaning toward the Yamaha R-N 602. it's a stereo receiver. I tossed around an getting an AV receiver but I don't think i'll use all the jacks and I want to keep it simple.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis