Looking for opinions on receiver brand reliability

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I hope this post is relevant here.

I have a Sony receiver (20 years old) that has the protection error and I tried to fix it but was unsuccessful so i'm looking for a stereo receiver for under $600. I may hook the TV up to it so I can listen to it thru my speakers. So I guess this qualifies as a AV receiver. I was looking at an Onkyo (TX 8270) on Crutchfield but before I buy I would like to hear what you guys have to say on brand reliability for todays receivers. What is the reliability rating order for todays receivers? thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well you picked the right time to update. The Denon X3500H is on black Friday special right now for $549 on Amazon. It's a previous model, but far from outdated and should get you updated pretty well. It's a great receiver with good power and a great price. Should do everything you need and more. Lots of room to expand down the road if you choose.

Last edited:
J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Good timing. . . how is the reliability of Denon these days?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good timing. . . how is the reliability of Denon these days?
Well, I haven't seen many, if any negative posts on reliability issues with the 3500. Of Denon, Marantz (same as Denon, basically), Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha, Yamaha probably has the best reputation for reliability, but it's not like Denon is known to be unreliable. I've had 3 different models and have had no troubles.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We have a member here (MCode) who cites Yamaha in some trade survey of dealers/installers (IIRC) as being most reliable. My oldest avr is a Sony that keeps plugging along, and believe their reputation for reliability is pretty solid overall, too. I have a couple of Denons that are just fine, too. My old Onkyo had the hdmi/network board issue fixed under their extended warranty and its just fine too. I think most consumer electronics have a shot at having issues, tho....and those issues tend to either show up early in their life or late in life. Having it in a well ventilated location (or supplementing with active cooling) is a good thing as they tend to run warm if you get an avr....the Onkyo 8270 is a bit pricey IMO for just having 2channels of amplification (and doesn't really bring any extra value to the table limiting it to 2ch),think the Denon 3500 would be better and you have the option of adding more channels....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well you picked the right time to update. The Denon X3500H is on black Friday special right now for $549 on Amazon. It's a previous model, but far from outdated and should get you updated pretty well. It's a great receiver with good power and a great price. Should do everything you need and more. Lots of room to expand down the road if you choose.
I updated the link in post #2. The original link wasn't for "new".

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
the Onkyo 8270 is a bit pricey IMO for just having 2channels of amplification (and doesn't really bring any extra value to the table limiting it to 2ch),think the Denon 3500 would be better and you have the option of adding more channels..

interesting. It would go in a cabinet. what are some options for cooling. do receivers general have a place to wire a fan?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
the Onkyo 8270 is a bit pricey IMO for just having 2channels of amplification (and doesn't really bring any extra value to the table limiting it to 2ch),think the Denon 3500 would be better and you have the option of adding more channels..

interesting. It would go in a cabinet. what are some options for cooling. do receivers general have a place to wire a fan?
ACInfinity makes some nice fans, or you can go more basic with something from coolerguys.com. While probably best powered outside of the avr, some of the usb powered fans can run off a usb port (but if that Denon is like mine, even if it has two usb ports only one can be used at a time) but watch voltage/amperage requirements if going the usb route. I like leaving a usb drive in my port for music, so use external wall warts myself. The days of having an ac plug built into the receiver are pretty much gone, tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Yeah you'll definitely want make sure it can breathe. How tight a space are we talking as far as clearance on the top and sides? Is the back open?

I'm using this AC Infinity Aircom on top of my receiver and it does a nice job of keeping things cool quietly. They make front and rear venting models also. I picked that one partly for looks too. Its curved front matches the curved front of my Marantz nicely. If you search a bit you can probably find something similar for a little less. There are some solutions for ventilating the cabinet as well.

The one knock with those types of fans is that they do suck dust inside the unit. I'm planning on popping the top off of mine and getting in there with some compressed air once it's out of warranty. I have a lot of dust in my area.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah you'll definitely want make sure it can breathe. How tight a space are we talking as far as clearance on the top and sides? Is the back open?

I'm using this AC Infinity Aircom on top of my receiver and it does a nice job of keeping things cool quietly. They make front and rear venting models also. I picked that one partly for looks too. Its curved front matches the curved front of my Marantz. If you search a but you can probably find something similar for a little less. There are some solutions for ventilating the cabinet as well.

The one knock with those types of fans is that they do suck dust inside the unit. I'm planning on popping the top off of mine and getting in there with some compressed air once it's out of warranty. I have a lot of dust in my area.
I recently opened my 4520, the external fan really didn't add much dust in several years (but did clean a little dust out of its internal fans)....not going to worry about that one now :) It's a pretty dusty location where I have it, expected much more from all those warnings from folks that fans are going to suck tons of dust in.....but curious what you find when you open yours....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently opened my 4520, the external fan really didn't add much dust in several years (but did clean a little dust out of its internal fans)....not going to worry about that one now :) It's a pretty dusty location where I have it, expected much more from all those warnings from folks that fans are going to suck tons of dust in.....but curious what you find when you open yours....
Well I'm not too excited to do it... lol.

Glad to hear you didn't find a ton of dust in yours, maybe it'll be the same for me. I haven't even pulled it out and looked with a flashlight or anything yet because if it is bad it'll drive me bonkers not being able to much about it.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
USB is an option for music, I wouldn't want to use it for a fan. I may have an extra spot on my strip.

it is pretty tight in there, maybe that's what killed my sony, but the sony didn't get too warm but it should have air circ.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consider also newer avrs have hdmi, which tends to add heat, too. Tight generally isn't good for a modern avr without some help....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If the Sony got burned up in those conditions, you can bet the Denon will too.

You should have a cabinet that is open front and back and a few inches clearance above for any receiver.

The Denon/Marantz probably also need a usb fan to help draw out the heat. They have a reputation for running hot to the touch. Not that it’s a bad thing, just something to plan for. Usb fans are not very expensive.

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I hope this post is relevant here.

I have a Sony receiver (20 years old) that has the protection error and I tried to fix it but was unsuccessful so i'm looking for a stereo receiver for under $600. I may hook the TV up to it so I can listen to it thru my speakers. So I guess this qualifies as a AV receiver. I was looking at an Onkyo (TX 8270) on Crutchfield but before I buy I would like to hear what you guys have to say on brand reliability for todays receivers. What is the reliability rating order for todays receivers? thanks
Sony receivers are typically reliable once used in the appropriate conditions. In my opinion research a receiver that is of the Sony brand, if you had good reliability with it. Not saying, if you purchase another Sony receiver it will last another 20 years or any other receiver matter fact. Choose something you are familiar with, but if you want to have options, Denon and Yamaha are typically reliable brands of AV receivers. I have a Denon, but I really like the Technics stereo integrated amplifier SU-G700, but it is pricey. Nevertheless, the other members has given good information on receivers, and you definitely need ventilation for the receiver, either by forced induction "not speaking about turbo," but USB powered fans or an open space or cabinet.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Whatever you decide, remember Crutchfield is usually priced higher than anybody else.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
I didn't know Crutchfield is usually priced higher, that's good information.

HDMI units run a little hotter than non? I do have a place on the entertainment center that is more open, I may be able to place it there, but i do need to get need to get permission from the wife first though... I don't run things too loud but I think the power amps do heat up regardless. My Sony has a huge heat sink for the power amps, i assume the newer ones do too.

I wasn't sure how SONY is these days.

How is the sound quality from the different manufactures differ? variation among brands and compared to my older Sony? I'm running a small set Polks.

Should i get hung up over signal/noise specs?

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic

HDMI units run a little hotter than non? I do have a place on the entertainment center that is more open, I may be able to place it there, but i do need to get need to get permission from the wife first though... I don't run things too loud but I think the power amps do heat up regardless. My Sony has a huge heat sink for the power amps, i assume the newer ones do too.

How is the sound quality from the different manufactures differ? variation among brands and compared to my older Sony? I'm running a small set Polks.

Unfortunately, some amps do seem to get hotter than others, just the nature of the beast.
A lot of people say, all amps sound the same, while others say, no they don't. So that's something you will have to decide.
Spec's is a good starting point, but it doesn't always translate into what we actually hear.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

If you don't mind taking a bit of a risk with a refurb unit, accessories4less.com is a good source for value on avrs. I hear nice things about the Sony ES series particularly, but Sony's tend to lack on the room correction software feature if that's important to you.

I have four avrs in the house, three different brands (two Denons, an Onkyo and a Sony) and ranging from low end to mid range to flagship models. None of which I think has a particular audio signature, altho there are dsp differences. I have several power amps and haven't had that experience with a variety of speakers where one of those amps is distinguishable either. I think when it comes to avrs get the features/connectivity you want and an amp section that works for you in terms of power and perhaps ability to work at lower impedance if needed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

By all accounts SONY is still going strong. I haven't seen many complaints anyway. If you can find a similar SONY model at that price I don't think you'd be going wrong. Heat would still be an issue tho, so I'd campaign hard for the more open spot and plan on getting some air flowing through there one way or another.

I really like the Denon for $549. That's a very good price for a unit that originally retailed for $999 not too terrible long ago. Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ (for room correction) is a big plus in my eyes also. Especially if you have or ever plan to get a subwoofer or 2. Bang for buck I think it's about the best deal going right now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis