Looking for new (to me) cd player suggestions

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Hey guys. I have an old california audio labs cd player in the living room which I love. I'd like something that sounds as good as, or better. Used is ok with me. I plan on looking on eBay, or even this forum. Mostly, I want it to sound great. Thanks in advance!
D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Budget? Just CDs or other formats? Does your CAL decode HDCD or is tube based and, if so, is that important?

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I don't even know what a cal is. I have a NAD 317 amplifier. Just CDs. My amp is solid state, no tubes. Budget? A measly $100.00
It's been tight lately.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is an excellent deal from a reliable seller for $20:

The DVD player will play CDs as well as most CD players.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another possibility would be to get if you look around at Walmart, Amazon etc. a brand new Sony Blu-ray player for about $100. You would just have to order a DAC such as this for $20 and you would be able to play your CDs with your NAD:

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like a good time to go digital! Start ripping all those cds!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What makes a cd player "sound great"? A particular dac implementation?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I don't even know what a cal is. I have a NAD 317 amplifier. Just CDs. My amp is solid state, no tubes. Budget? A measly $100.00
It's been tight lately.
CAL = California Audio Labs. What model do you have? Some "CAL" players decode HDCD (should say it right on the player, but if you did not mention it, I doubt it is important to you) and some a tube in their output stage (again, you would probably know it if it did and did not mention it). California Audio Labs made some very good CD players and I doubt that you could improve upon it for $100 - be happy with what you have. If you still feel the DAC in the unit can be improved upon, there are several Chinese made DACs (Topping, SMSL, Fiio) in that price range that have newer DAC chips...

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Cal is a dx2. Maybe I'll look for another one for my bedroom. It sounds very clear and open. Like a perfect reproduction of how the music sounds coming straight from the instruments.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Here is an excellent deal from a reliable seller for $20:

The DVD player will play CDs as well as most CD players.
Verdiniut-
I have that! I'm trying to upload a photo of it but the file is too large. Crazy that you would suggest that. Wow!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cal is a dx2. Maybe I'll look for another one for my bedroom. It sounds very clear and open. Like a perfect reproduction of how the music sounds coming straight from the instruments.
So what optical disc players were otherwise?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@ddjr I apologize - I misread and thought you were looking to replace your DX-2, which, from what I have read is a fine CD player. I went to Ebay, simply typed in "CD player" in the search bar and a plethora of attractive options came up within your budget. this one is right at $100, but is sure to sound excellent and has some neat bonuses (and it looks great):

Edit: Whoops - forgot shipping!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@ddjr I apologize - I misread and thought you were looking to replace your DX-2, which, from what I have read is a fine CD player. I went to Ebay, simply typed in "CD player" in the search bar and a plethora of attractive options came up within your budget. this one is right at $100, but is sure to sound excellent and has some neat bonuses (and it looks great):

I love the Pio flip-down loading CD file players!

I have a 100 disc model that has been in service for a long time, likely pushing 20 years.

I never really looked beyond that, so I didn't realize they had an elite model file type player!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Verdiniut-
I have that! I'm trying to upload a photo of it but the file is too large. Crazy that you would suggest that. Wow!
Go to eBay and google Pioneer DVD player and it should show up.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

John,

Don't you think it's a little expensive for an old CD player when you can get a waranteed brand new SONY Blu-ray player for $100? For an additional $20, you can get the proper DAC from Amazon.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
John,

Don't you think it's a little expensive for an old CD player when you can get a waranteed brand new SONY Blu-ray player for $100? For an additional $20, you can get the proper DAC from Amazon.
I simply typed in "CD player" in the Ebay search bar - I thought this one was interesting in that it is a 50 (plus one!) disc changer that looked in decent shape.

If all OP needs is something to spin discs, here is a brand new one, $17.44 out the door:
I mean, it is a #1 best seller, so it must be good!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does this mean that all optical disc players sound great like my California audio labs? If so, great news!!
I was more curious why you thought yours was unique. Do you use its dac or use it as a transport only?

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I was more curious why you thought yours was unique. Do you use its dac or use it as a transport only?
I'm sorry, I don't even know what that means! What's a dac and how does one use it as a transport only? I put CDs in it and play them through my system.
On verdiniuts suggestion, I brought my old pioneer DVD player upstairs and hooked it up to the NAD 317 and the kestrel hotrods. And the sub. Sounds fantastic!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis