Looking for new LCR.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
I live in Alaska, options are really limited to Best Buy and Crutchfield due to shipping costs.they both ship free to AK.

(Just as an example, it was $630 to ship my 2 GSG Audio flat packs of with an NX6000D and SQL 15 drivers from CA to AK. Oh and a gallon of Duratex.)

I have about $3000, I was considering Focal 826's or Revel F35's. Currently have SVS Prime towers and center that I bought used. KEF 950's I demo'd at Magnolia and enjoyed them. New room, new house. Looking for something new!

Any thoughts?

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Seems mostly a lateral move, but if you like the Kefs then give them a listen in your home. If there is an improvement worth the cost then keep them, if not it's an easy return to BB.

I have the Q750s and Q650. They were a small but nice improvement for music and a substantial improvement for HT use, in my room. Previous speakers were Klispch RF62IIs and a RC52 center. My room is rather small and I sit close so I didn't need the extra efficiency of the Klipsch. The most noticeable improvement for both music and HT is the soundstage. Much larger in all dimensions with the Kefs.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

What size room? And what distance from speaker to listening position? What's your source gear?

For $3k you have access to much better speakers for LCR, such as Ascend Acoustics Sierra's with RAAL tweeters (2-EX and Horizon) or Philharmonic BMR (3x of them). You don't need towers since you have Marty subs so you can simply focus on much better components and drivers.

Very best,

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

What size room? And what distance from speaker to listening position? What's your source gear?

For $3k you have access to much better speakers for LCR, such as Ascend Acoustics Sierra's with RAAL tweeters (2-EX and Horizon) or Philharmonic BMR (3x of them). You don't need towers since you have Marty subs so you can simply focus on much better components and drivers.

Very best,
Shipping really isn't an option. It's outrageously expensive. It was $630 to ship GSG subs here, and those were on its own pallet and by truck/boat.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
As much as I like Focal and Revel those are considered their lower end offerings so I would agree with Kini that it's a lateral move. Golfx's recommendation of the Polk Reserve R700 is a good one. Very well reviewed and great bang for the buck. Not currently in stock on Crutchfield though. KEF 950 is also a good option since you have already heard them. If you want to replace the center speaker as well, KEF makes a good center or you could upgrade to the SVS Ultra Center. If replacing all three front speakers you will need that $3k budget.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Shipping really isn't an option. It's outrageously expensive. It was $630 to ship GSG subs here, and those were on its own pallet and by truck/boat.
I understand that, you're referring the cost of freight shipping on a few hundred pounds of gear. That costs more. You should entertain the shipping from the above links to your location, it may work out, and you would be getting significantly better speakers than big box offerings.

Very best,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis