BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How much "more powerful"?

5%?
10%?
15%?
20%?
25%?
It depends, Monolith is about the same at low bass, at 20hz Monolith 12 2-ports open measures at 106db, where Hsu is 105.2, but at mid-bass 50hz, it's 112db vs 117db. So VTF-3 Mk5 has 4 dB more output at 50hz.
At 80hz it's 111dB vs 117db so about 6db for HSU.
+3db = Double the power
+6db = Double the SPL
+10db = Double the human perceived loudness.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The HSU VTF3 is a 15in sub so I would imagine it would be able to outmatch the SVS and Monolith 12in subs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It depends, Monolith is about the same at low bass, at 20hz Monolith 12 2-ports open measures at 106db, where Hsu is 105.2, but at mid-bass 50hz, it's 112db vs 117db. So VTF-3 Mk5 has 4 dB more output at 50hz.
At 80hz it's 111dB vs 117db so about 6db for HSU.
+3db = Double the power
+6db = Double the SPL
+10db = Double the human perceived loudness.
Keep in mind that the human perception research in this area was never very good at being summed up into a simple number like "10dB". The reality is at lower frequencies, much smaller changes in amplitude result in much more substantial differences in human perception. For example, look at the equal loudness contours:

Notice how much more bunched up they are at the low end. That means that smaller changes in low frequencies are a lot more perceptible, once they are above the hearing threshold. Increases in loudness occur much more rapidly per SPL increase in lower frequencies, so it does not take an entire 10dB to double perceived loudness down there, or even close to that.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The HSU VTF3 is a 15in sub so I would imagine it would be able to outmatch the SVS and Monolith 12in subs.
Just because it's a 15 inch driver vs a 12 inch driver yes that does contribute but how much does the enclosure contribute? Enclosure design, bracing, size.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just because it's a 15 inch driver vs a 12 inch driver yes that does contribute but how much does the enclosure contribute? Enclosure design, bracing, size.
Don't forget driver differences....but diameter alone certainly doesn't mean much beyond the extra volume of air it can push....if the motor cooperates :)

thumprchgo

thumprchgo

Enthusiast
As big as it is it the room does have some limitations. I’m currently 3 ft off the back wall sitting 10 feet from the mains. The next layout I’m going to try is 10’ from the back wall 10’ from the mains. Unfortunately with it only being 13’ wide can’t spread my mains out as wide as I’d like.
I am trying to remember where I learned that one of the better locations for the MLP is 38% from either the front or the back. At first, I aimed for the very center of the room, but quickly learned it was one of the worst places in an average room. Standing waves, cancellations in bass regions, etc.

N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
Well it just comes down to economics with the Monolith 12 being on sale for 699 it’s not that far off of my original budget. I was really trying to justify getting the Hsu but As BoredSysAdmin stated it’s + $100 shipping and if (by some far stretch of the imagination) I wouldn’t like it it would be another $100 to return. With a little more expendable income and a nicer wife I would take the risk.
Thanks for the advice everyone

N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
Never even occurred to me. I know a couple of guys who built subs for their cars. It my be something I could pull off with some guidance.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Never even occurred to me. I know a couple of guys who built subs for their cars. It my be something I could pull off with some guidance.
As long as you got the right tools like clamps and stuff

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not that hard unless you want to tackle one of the harder to build designs but basic sealed and ported subs aren't that hard if you've got some basic tools. Biggest issue is living with your finishing skills, particularly for the married guys. You can do it by buying pre-cut boxes that all you need do is glue together and do some minor work to attach terminals and drivers. You can design your own box with a given driver with specialized software like winisd or bassbox, or follow the lead of someone who has done that part already. If your time is valuable it may not be too appealing but if you don't mind throwing your time at it to save some cash expense, it can work out well, particularly if you buy an amp that will handle two subs. We do have a diy subforum here as well as other sites like diyaudio.com, avsforum.com, etc

N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
Just got the monolith today and have it almost dialed in. My wife told me my Christmas present this year, is her not complaining to me about it.
Building a subwoofer appears to be something that I can handle. I might have to sucker my brother in law into letting me build him one first, to work out the kinks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis