Looking for my first sub.

N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
I have 29 x 15 x 8 = 3016 cubic foot room. And budget of $650. I really don’t mind having just one sub and focusing on the sweet spot since the wife doesn’t get it. Most of my friends by whatever sub. Crank it and say isn’t that awesome as I hang my head in disappointment.
So should I suck it up and save for another year or is there something in that price range for that room size that would get me a decent chest thump.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Keep saving

Edit: Maybe 4 of these. 10% off today too

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still aim at duals myself, and a $650 sub now and then later adding another would work fine. Some say spend it all on one sub up front, but I did that and still ended up adding subs later :). Somewhat depends on your total budget for subs. Something like the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 for example would be pretty good, altho a bit more gets you a VTF-3 mk5. Might want to figure out just what your perception of decent chest thump is based on, tho.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
These are on sale right now for Black Friday. Yes having one would be better then no sub. But they will not pressurize that space.

Would having 2 of those pressurize the space if not what would I be looking at then? I just want to feel it a little not knock the pictures off the wall.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Would having 2 of those pressurize the space if not what would I be looking at then? I just want to feel it a little not knock the pictures off the wall.
I don't know if they would quite pressurize that space, but I think they would work fairly well.

2 of these

N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
I think I’ll pull the trigger on the pb2000 and save up for a second one.
on a side note I assume having 2 different subs even from the same manufacturer would not pair very well together.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Easier to setup/integrate identical subs I think, although I've also used dissimilar subs together, too, not bad if they have similar response.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I have 29 x 15 x 8 = 3016 cubic foot room. And budget of $650. I really don’t mind having just one sub and focusing on the sweet spot since the wife doesn’t get it. Most of my friends by whatever sub. Crank it and say isn’t that awesome as I hang my head in disappointment.
So should I suck it up and save for another year or is there something in that price range for that room size that would get me a decent chest thump.
Chest thumping for $650 eh? That's a fairly large room too. Get two BIC PL 200 II subs (300 each and sums to 600 leaving you 50 bucks for a bottle of whisky). A buddy of mine has these things. These are not exactly the snobby audiophile subs. But, have a few shots of that whisky and go buck wild with them. Get your chest thumped real good, , divorce papers finalized, etc. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Bic-Acoustech-PL-200-II-Subwoofer/dp/B074131NKS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bic+pl200+ii&qid=1606277816&sr=8-1

P.S
But seriously, these are good for the money. Dr. HSU (HSU Research) had something to do with the drivers on these. It CANNOT be beat at this price.

Last edited:
thumprchgo

thumprchgo

Enthusiast
I agree with mazersteven. Two PB2000 subs would be a good idea. Now on sale for under 600 dollars US, I think. These models are newly manufactured, they aren't damaged or dented. Caution: this sub is end of the line, SVS has already released the 2000 Pro line of subs. You won't be able to easily get a second one in a year or two. The 2000 Pro line is 799 US. It is getting very good reviews, as did these on-sale 2000s. I have rarely been so happy with an audio purchase in my life; I'm not joking. Bless them all, but every sub-500 dollar name-brand subs I bought over the decades sound like 80s era boom boxes compared to one of these SVS subs. I was gob smacked in how the SVS subs (two!) improved my music collection, not to mention movie soundtracks. Your room seems huge. I hope you consider moving the couch away from the back wall in a room that large — what with SIS* spreading like wildfire in these times. (*SIS: Spousal Irritation Syndrome)

N

Natepaint

Enthusiast
I was able to get a couple of extra bills for a sub. I narrowed it to these.
Outlaw audio ultra-x12 $679.00
Mono price monolith 12 inch thx sale $699.99
hsu research vtf-3 mk5 $799.00
Svs pb-2000 pro $899.99 i’d get the pb-2000 but I can only afford one right now and they’ll probably be sold out before I’d have enough for a second.
I half hearted looked at psb but that’s only because I have the image t6 towers.
Your room seems huge. I hope you consider moving the couch away from the back wall in a room that large — what with SIS* spreading like wildfire in these times. (*SIS: Spousal Irritation Syndrome)
As big as it is it the room does have some limitations. I’m currently 3 ft off the back wall sitting 10 feet from the mains. The next layout I’m going to try is 10’ from the back wall 10’ from the mains. Unfortunately with it only being 13’ wide can’t spread my mains out as wide as I’d like.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
SVS PB2000 or Monoprice Monolith would be my choices.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
PB2000 Pro is a great sub, but the value/performance sweet spot is between HSU's VTF-2 Mk5 and PB2000 on sale at $599. I'd personally prefer HSU for a wider range of configurations and rooms it be integrated with.
Monoprice THX 12 is no sloth, but I don't see an extra $100 in value.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Svs pb-2000 pro $899.99 i’d get the pb-2000 but I can only afford one right now and they’ll probably be sold out before I’d have enough for a second.
I half hearted looked at psb but that’s only because I have the image t6 towers.

As big as it is it the room does have some limitations. I’m currently 3 ft off the back wall sitting 10 feet from the mains. The next layout I’m going to try is 10’ from the back wall 10’ from the mains. Unfortunately with it only being 13’ wide can’t spread my mains out as wide as I’d like.
The Hsu would be the most powerful among these. The second most powerful would probably be the Monolith 12 which might be tied with the PB-2000 Pro.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Keep in mind HSU doesn't do free shipping, so add another $80-100 to the price of sub. HSU VTV3-mk5 is indeed more powerful but it's also $900 including shipping. For 3k CuFT room, VTF2-MK5 is more than sufficient IMHO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis