Looking for MTB info/suggestions

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
We've been looking at a few bikes from shops, so... new seems to be where we're headed. Haven't found much on forums just yet, but still looking.

Trek Marlin and Trek Wahoo are right in the price range I'd like to spend.
The Trek Mamba is a bit above it, likely too expensive but would it be worth it as novice riders?

At another shop who dealt with primarily Specialized, we looked at...
Hardrock Sport Disc, 29 which was marked at $700 I think.
As well as the more expensive Rockhopper Comp which was marked at $1100.

Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference between the Rockhopper Comp and the Marlin I rode today. I feel like it's mainly because I just don't know how to tell the differences in components. Pretty much anything I ride feels better than the bike I personally have.

The other half rode a GT bike today. I didn't like the look or feel of that bike when I rode it. Is GT a decent brand to go for? I'm not sure what she rode, and can't seem to find it on their website. But they did have the Karakoram 3.0 as well as the Karakoram 4.0 there.

The guy who helped us today said it's best to wait til the 14's come out to see which 13's go on clearance, and maybe any new styles/colors that we might like in the 14's. Their stock was very low from what they said. Only small and large frames left primarily, only a few mediums here and there.

Any suggestions between those bikes listed? I would very much like to stay away from the $1k mark of the Spec RH Comp and the Mamba unless it'd really be worth it to go that route. But as I said, I personally could not tell a difference.
Of the bikes you listed the Mamba looks the best. My advice is to go for the best bike you can stretch your finances into. The differences often aren't apparent in a short test drive, and refitting new equipment later is expensive. Upgrade-itis is a chronic bike ownership disease.

Last edited:
Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I would definitely like to buy the Mamba, but I think it might be a little too much at this time. I'm hoping to buy her a bike right now, and towards the end of the season I'll get one for me. Used or new, but either way I should be able to find a pretty good deal on one I'd think, come October or so..

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would definitely like to buy the Mamba, but I think it might be a little too much at this time. I'm hoping to buy her a bike right now, and towards the end of the season I'll get one for me. Used or new, but either way I should be able to find a pretty good deal on one I'd think, come October or so..
I agree, especially since the major bike manufacturers seem to come out with new models every year, so they'll want to clean out inventory. I think you have a good plan to wait until October.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oh, yay, bikes!

I'm not a fan of faux-bars, but I like the Gary Fisher.

The Trek is long in the tooth, and more of a racer than the GF, which is more trail-worthy.

The Salsa is a nice bike, but mechanical discs, ugh. Pick something with hydraulic brakes. Your fingers and forearms will thank you on your first lengthy ride.

Check for regional clearance sales in the fall. In Denver we have the velo swap in late Oct./early Nov. where the shops and pro teams liquidate their stuff. The deals disappear quick at these events. Early bird gets the worm, so to speak.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
How's the price on it? Is $650 too much, or is that a good price? For the Gary Fisher FS. It doesn't come with tires/tubes remember... It looks like they're a pretty expensive bike when new..

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hard to say. If it's indeed only lightly used, I would think it's a decent price for an XT equipped full boinger, and the most appealing bike you've posted so far.

The seller really should get tires on the thing. How is a prospective buyer going to take it for a test ride? That's kind of a must in my book.

It looks to me like they have the seatpost in backwards-typically they offset to the rear, not forward. Maybe they never rode it because they set it up so poorly to begin with?

So that's two specific things that make me raise my eyebrow at the seller, fwiw. Good price, but caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Kruppy

Kruppy

Audioholic
I was actually looking at this bike too for my son. I agree with the comments about about getting tires on the bike and the seatpost orientation (what that hell is up with that?). Need to give that thing some bounce to check out the shock/pivots. The price sounds very appealing for noted time of use.

Not to scare you but what concerns me the most is that the rear triangles of Gary Fisher full suspensions from that time frame have been known to crack/fail. As a second owner there's no warranty and good luck finding a 2008 replacement part. My buddy had 2 rear triangles fail on his X-Cal. That's the only thing that's holding me back right now.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I was actually looking at this bike too for my son. I agree with the comments about about getting tires on the bike and the seatpost orientation (what that hell is up with that?). Need to give that thing some bounce to check out the shock/pivots. The price sounds very appealing for noted time of use.

Not to scare you but what concerns me the most is that the rear triangles of Gary Fisher full suspensions from that time frame have been known to crack/fail. As a second owner there's no warranty and good luck finding a 2008 replacement part. My buddy had 2 rear triangles fail on his X-Cal. That's the only thing that's holding me back right now.
That's good to know too. I'm still more leaning towards not getting it, just because I feel like we don't have a need for a FS bike. The type of riding around here doesn't warrant full suspension I don't think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis