Looking for LCR: PSA MTM 210s vs the JBL HDI 3800 vs klipsch rp8000 / rf7 III ?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Distance is 6-7 feet. Will be using Denon 4700H. I could maybe get discrete amp down the road but for now just want to use my AVR.
Have you considered anything other then passive speakers? If it were me I'd get the Revel F208 over the JBLs, but I'm equal music usage.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would be worried with this Revel F208 if I used it as a full range speaker without any subwoofer supplementation. The reason is that its distortion below 100 Hz seems to be a little bit high. Moreover, its impedance dips down to 2 ohms at 90 Hz and the phase angle curve is at around -35° at 53 Hz. That's a speaker which is hard to drive and represents a silly driver and/or passive crossover design:

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looking for some LCRs for my TV surround system. Its a 12 x 20 foot room but has large openings that open to the rest of my house which is very open. Currently have dual 18 inch full martys and just vienna acoustic haydn grand bookshelves.

Thinking of PSA MTM 210s vs the JBL HDI 3800 vs klipsch rp8000 / rf7 III. Leaning waveguide/horn for the added excitement / dynamic factor for home theater / movie use. Won't be using this system for music much.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Edit: Will be sitting 6-7 feet away.
Klipsch towers are designed to perform and measure at they're best at about a 9 foot distance. So they are a no go. I would go with the JBL HDI 3800's all day any day

The founder of this site Gene just listened to a JBL demo of these at the audio review show he was just at and he was super impressed. Spoke very highly of the JBL's. Review is on the audioholics YouTube site.

Nice Martys!!!!!

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I would be worried with this Revel F208 if I used it as a full range speaker without any subwoofer supplementation. The reason is that its distortion below 100 Hz seems to be a little bit high. Moreover, its impedance dips down to 2 ohms at 90 Hz and the phase angle curve is at around -35° at 53 Hz. That's a speaker which is hard to drive and represents a silly driver and/or passive crossover design:
With the subs he has, 100hz crossover shouldn't be an issue, especially with his placement.

S

smodtactical

Audiophyte
One thing I don't like about revel is they use fiberglass in their speakers. I don't care for having fiberglass in a ported speaker.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One thing I don't like about revel is they use fiberglass in their speakers. I don't care for having fiberglass in a ported speaker.
The JBL HD line is better designed, performs better and also costs less. IMO, it's a better choice for several reasons including well designed passive crossovers.

S

smodtactical

Audiophyte
The JBL HD line is better designed, performs better and also costs less. IMO, it's a better choice for several reasons including well designed passive crossovers.
Any thoughts on the JBL vs PSA?

Also will be hearing a Tyler acoustics PD30 soon. Looks pretty awesome. Getting a good used price on it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Also will be hearing a Tyler acoustics PD30 soon. Looks pretty awesome. Getting a good used price on it.
As I mentioned in a previous post above, the PSA is a pro audio loudspeaker with its published low frequency range limited to 70 Hz. Most pro audio drivers are limited in LF response and even their subwoofers, which are not really in the same class as the audiophile sub, don't produce efficient LF response below 35-40 Hz.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The JBL will have a far more advanced waveguide, as well as real deep bass extension.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis