Looking for help with Atmos layout and managing around ceiling inconsistency

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
This group helped me quite a bit 5 years ago when I was working on a 2 channel audio setup. I'm now working on building out a home theater space and trying to see what makes sense for my room in terms of speaker type and placement for Atmos.

A couple key notes:
1. This room is a work in progress, new media console is coming I do not plan on having my center channel block the TV long term, nor will I be keeping gear on the floor.
2. I am putting up acoustic panels, right now it looks like roughly 12 based on reflection points but I need to lock in some speaker placement to confirm

With that out of the way the big piece I'm trying to figure out is Atmos speakers and dealing with the ceiling drop pictured below. The ceiling is roughly 7 feet and the drop area is 6". As you can see that lines up right about where my mains are, my worry is putting in ceiling speakers just to the right of the drop. I can everything roughly a foot to the right, that would buy my more space to the right of that drop but more wondering if that will have a material impact on sound or not. This was me just thinking high school math, but if a speaker has a conical dispersion of 90 degrees and I placed it over 7in from the drop vast majority of the sound would not yet hit that vertical surface. I'm not an expert here though and that could easily be an oversimplification so I'd love this groups insight. What would be ideal for this space? My receiver will be capable of 7.4.2 but I think 5.4.2 makes more sense for this space as

IMG_4234.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_4235.jpeg
IMG_4236.jpeg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
First off, nice guitar collection. Looks like some beauties!
So, why not just shift the whole thing over? I think that’s what I’d do. I also agree, 5.1.4 makes more sense.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
First off, nice guitar collection. Looks like some beauties!
So, why not just shift the whole thing over? I think that’s what I’d do. I also agree, 5.1.4 makes more sense.
Wanted to make sure that 6” drop isn’t going to block the sound, I can move to the right but that doesn’t eliminated the drop it just makes the speakers potentially less close to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wanted to make sure that 6” drop isn’t going to block the sound, I can move to the right but that doesn’t eliminated the drop it just makes the speakers potentially less close to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO it probably would block the sound. But more than that, it might also be directed away, and have a weird coloration. Kinda like holding your hand up to the side of your mouth and talking. I guess if it were my space I’d try and move it over.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
IMO it probably would block the sound. But more than that, it might also be directed away, and have a weird coloration. Kinda like holding your hand up to the side of your mouth and talking. I guess if it were my space I’d try and move it over.
I guess my question is how far over does the speaker need to be in order for it to not be impacted?

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s a good question. I would say so there’s at least a clean line of sight. It’s hard without being IN the room, for me anyways. Even though you have taken great shots, if I was sitting on the couch at the LP, it would be easier(for my little brain anyway lol) to see what things look like. It looks like a pretty low ceiling so I’d be afraid of having the top speakers too far apart if not moving the couch too.
Have you looked through the install guide? It might help with further insight.

The diagrams and literature in it are much better than the generic stuff on Dolby’s site.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
That’s a good question. I would say so there’s at least a clean line of sight. It’s hard without being IN the room, for me anyways. Even though you have taken great shots, if I was sitting on the couch at the LP, it would be easier(for my little brain anyway lol) to see what things look like. It looks like a pretty low ceiling so I’d be afraid of having the top speakers too far apart if not moving the couch too.
Have you looked through the install guide? It might help with further insight.

The diagrams and literature in it are much better than the generic stuff on Dolby’s site.
I have looked through those but it doesn't really deal with the line of sight piece. That said that's a good idea to sit in the LP and maybe use a laser pointer to mark where on the ceiling I can see, then use that as a benchmark. The ceiling is fairly low, 7 feet. At the drop it is 6'6"

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
I have looked through those but it doesn't really deal with the line of sight piece. That said that's a good idea to sit in the LP and maybe use a laser pointer to mark where on the ceiling I can see, then use that as a benchmark. The ceiling is fairly low, 7 feet. At the drop it is 6'6"
I did a quick render using SVS elevations, this could be a possible solution
1573741124497.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice render. Maybe a combination of moving the LP and gear over, AND the prime elevation would be perfect.
Did I say nice guitars?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis