Looking For Guidance on DVD connection.

J

jamieo

Enthusiast
I have the entry level Denon DVD player which does upscale to 720p. I have a 720p Plasma so I would assume I want to use the upscaling. The problem is I have some really nice component video cables behind the wall but no HDMI.

My question is whether it is worth it to try to fish an HDMI cable behind the wall or as some on this forum suggest just get a nicer DVD player because the upscaling is alot of BS and you can not tell the difference anyhow. Haven't seen enough to know for sure.

Also I was planning on running component video out of the SAT/Cable HD Receiver into the main AVR and then component video again out to the TV. Since the source of DirectV is 720p and I am using component connections all the way, will I still be at 720p for the TV?

Thanks so much.

Jamie

For what it is worth if it helps my TV is a Samsung 42" Plasma and the AVR is a Harmon Kardon 7.1 but with no HDMI. So the HDMI would connect straight to the TV bypassing the AVR but the sound would still go to the AVR.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd check your specs on the player (what model?) as I think the Denons, as well as many upconverting players, only do upconversion via HDMI. That may be your answer already...

J

jamieo

Enthusiast
Thanks j garcia. Yeah I believe Oppo is the only DVD that upconverts via component but once the knew encryption takes place it will be 480p.

I guess what I am asking is if their is a belief that a higher quality DVD player with a component connection is just as good as the lower end but upconverting entry level DVD player with HDMI.

It would save me from trying to get an HDMI cable behind the wall at this point. All other wires are behind the wall for a clean look.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nope, the Oppos only upconvert via HDMI also (981 doesn't even have component out)

I have only seen the 971H upconvert and I thought it looked pretty darn good. Since these players are so highly rated as well, I don't think you will find ANY 480p player that will look better than them, period. As for other players, it is hard to say. My Denon is 480p only and I am still quite happy with the picture it presents.

For a quick and dirty answer, I'd pick up an inexpensive HDMI cable, hook up your player direct to the TV with HDMI and compare it for yourself. If it doesn't look better to you then you don't need to run the cable in the wall. Going forward, I would say it is worth while to have that cable there.

Last edited:
J

jamieo

Enthusiast
Thanks j garcia.

I guess that is what I needed but didnt want to hear.

The DirectV/Comcast HD comes in 720p. I will be using component connections throughout. I will still have 720p at the TV correct? It's just the actual upscaling that requires the HDMI, not the 720p signal, correct?

Finally for $200 on the DVD would you go Denon, Oppo or other?

Take care

Jamie

JVC

JVC

Banned
A couple people from another forum, called Oppo and asked them, and Oppo says they DO upconvert over component. Straight from the horses mouth.........Call them yourself and ask, if you want to hear it for sure. Don't take my word. I'm passing on what someone else said.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
jamieo said:
The DirectV/Comcast HD comes in 720p. I will be using component connections throughout. I will still have 720p at the TV correct? It's just the actual upscaling that requires the HDMI, not the 720p signal, correct?
Component video cables can carry 720p just fine. If the plasma has a native resolution of 720p and you feed it 720p from DirectTV, no scaling needs to be done as it already matches the TV's native resolution.

If you are playing a DVD and the player is set to progressive scan, the player will deinterlace the 480i DVD video and send it to the TV. Since 480p does not match the TV's 720p native resolution, the TV will scale it to 720p. If the player happened to be in interlaced mode, then the TV will deinterlace and scale it to 720p.

The only reason to use a receiver or dvd player that can upscale would be if the receiver or dvd player does a better job than the TV.

HDMI might be nice to have for the future but given the situation described I would not be any hurry to tear up the walls and run HDMI cables if the only reason for doing so would be to let the DVD player upscale from 480i to 720p.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
JVC said:
A couple people from another forum, called Oppo and asked them, and Oppo says they DO upconvert over component. Straight from the horses mouth.........Call them yourself and ask, if you want to hear it for sure. Don't take my word. I'm passing on what someone else said.
The review here said they do not, and the AH guys wrote the manuals FOR Oppo. I will ask both of my friends who have the 971H and the 970HD if they can try it out and verify...and if not, I'll call Oppo myself (or drop by, they are local for me).

Given a choice between the Oppo and the lower Denons, I'd go Oppo.

J

jamieo

Enthusiast
I called Oppo myself and they said the 970 will upconvert through component but that any DVD with the new encryption (Basically anything you can buy now) will play at 480p.

Thanks for the effort though j garcia.

I guess at this point I am just going to go a component connection to the TV and let it scale it to 720p (native res). Too many people saying that the upconversion is barely noticable vs a good DVD with good connections (which I will have).

The only thing I want to know now is whether the Faroudja DCDI is of any value if you are not upconverting. In other words does the Faroudja DCDI help out a 480p picture.

Thanks for the help to all though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis