Looking for guidance on AVR

L

LondonStan

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am new to the forum so my first post, hope to get some guidance, I took a quick look around and couldn't find much in other posts.

Thought it was worth mentioning what my current setup looks like.

I currently have a pioneer LX55 amp with MOnitor audio RX6, RXC and RX2's in a 7.1 configuration, the sub is a SVS PC12 NSD. I'm happy with the setup but I have been looking at an atmos upgrade and my current AVR doesn't support this, I am also looking to move to 4K bluray and TV. I know I can bypass the video output so it doesn't go via the AVR but my decision point is now "should I just get a new AVR" as the Pioneer is around 6 years old now. No clue how much avr's improve over this time period.

My room is around 26 ft by 16ft and I love watching movies with plenty of volume to experience the film at its best.

I am asking for guidance on a few areas, happy to read other posts if they answers my questions and i'lol continue to browse.

1, if I just replaced my current amp with something like the Marantz SR7011 should I hear much of an improvement? Of course atmos will help with the overall sound field but not sure i'll get much more bang for my money. Meaning atmos is a fairly expensive upgrade if it's the only added benefit that I hear.

2, assuming I left out atmos, would a power amp be a better for my LX55? Don't know much about power amps but the lx55 has pre outs.

Given I am a novice when it comes to expanding or upgrading I am looking for general guidance, basically I have the upgrade itch but no clue what to do.. so Its now down to me spending some money on my AVR upgrade or the wife goes shopping again...

Look forward to any guidance people have.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed that you have a moderate to large size room and you need, although your speakers are moderately sensitive, a decent amplifying power to get to acceptable Sound Pressure Levels in your listening space.

Either the Marantz SR7011 or the Denon AVR-4300H would be an excellent choice to drive your speakers. They both feature a clean 125w/ch. On the other hand, your RX6s won't handle powers stronger than 125 watts continuously, and that rules out external amplication. By the way, the Denon is available from Amazon for $799, a real bargain. I doubt that you will be able to get the Marantz for such a price. With either of these receivers, you should have enough power. Should the volume be insufficient to your liking, you will have to get speakers which can play louder and accept more power.

I did a quick calculation of the SPL with sitting at 10 feet from the main speakers. With 125 watts coming out from the left and right front speakers, you should get a sound pressure level of at least 105dB. That is quite loud. A question, is the Pioneer powerful enough, and at what distance do you listen from the speakers?

Comparing the Marantz or the Denon with the Pioneer, I strongly believe that the recommended AVRs would perform better than your LX55. Amps are of a better quality, and most audioholics will recommend a Marantz or a Denon AVR rather than a Pioneer product.

The choice between those two AVRs will depend upon the features you are interested in. Both of them have Atmos and 4K features and are among the most reliable products. They are manufactured by the same company, D & M Holdings, which was recently bought by Sound United which is owned by Polk Audio.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are manufactured by the same company, D & M Holdings, which was recently bought by Sound United which is owned by Polk Audio.
Actually Sound United owns various brands, such as their recent acquisition of D+M Group, including Polk Audio, Boom, Boston and Definitive Technology.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
1. Maybe: The Marantz has a superior room EQ. Even without adding Atmos speakers, there may be getting to be achieved. If your room and speakers are optimally laid out, the gains will be less apparent.
2. Probably not: When you're cranking the volume, if the receiver is not shutting down or speakers audibly distorting, you're fine. A 3ch amp to power the L, C and R could be a good investment in peace of mind.

L

LondonStan

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies, yes the Pioneer sounds great and I sit around 14ft away. Hence my hesitation on upgrading just to get the benefits of atmos.

I make just take a gamble, given my current amp is 6 years old I'd hope to experience improvements across the board and not just atmos.

Will take a look at the Denon, I had Denon in the past.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You're quite welcome!

Keep us posted on your decision and about your listening impressions should you opt for new equipment.

Cheers,

L

LondonStan

Enthusiast
Thanks folks, I decided to go with the Marantz and oh my I am pleased. Seems to throw the sound around much better and it just seems to sound much better overall.

The auto setup is very easy to use, I made a few minor adjustments post the setup so it's perfect now. Many hours of movie time to follow.

Thanks for your feedback

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, ATMOS (and DTS:X) will just enhance the surround sound effects, not the front 3 speakers or subwoofers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As Verdinut pointed out, your speakers weren't designed to take a lot of power anyway. You can gain dynamics when cranking up the volume simply by setting your front speakers crossover to 150 Hz.

With the Marantz, you will gain the multi-channel analog inputs and for that, you have to pay $600 more, only because the Denon has a fantastic deal going on, and perhaps the myth/hearsay perpetuated by brand loyal users, dealers/salespersons about Marantz, has better sound quality has some effects too.

With either AVR, it is highly recommended that you set the crossovers of the L/R/C speakers to 150 Hz or at least 120 Hz. That, combined with Audyssey XT32 SubEQHT, you should hear improvements in the lower frequency range and better dynamics overall. If you don't want to crossover the L/R that high, then the alternative is to add a low cost two channel pro amp, such as the Crownaudio XLS1502.

Last edited:
L

LondonStan

Enthusiast
Thanks Peng, I make sure the crossover is set to that level.

Great forums, great advice. Thanks again.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Hi all,

I am new to the forum so my first post, hope to get some guidance, I took a quick look around and couldn't find much in other posts.

Thought it was worth mentioning what my current setup looks like.

I currently have a pioneer LX55 amp with MOnitor audio RX6, RXC and RX2's in a 7.1 configuration, the sub is a SVS PC12 NSD. I'm happy with the setup but I have been looking at an atmos upgrade and my current AVR doesn't support this, I am also looking to move to 4K bluray and TV. I know I can bypass the video output so it doesn't go via the AVR but my decision point is now "should I just get a new AVR" as the Pioneer is around 6 years old now. No clue how much avr's improve over this time period.

My room is around 26 ft by 16ft and I love watching movies with plenty of volume to experience the film at its best.

I am asking for guidance on a few areas, happy to read other posts if they answers my questions and i'lol continue to browse.

1, if I just replaced my current amp with something like the Marantz SR7011 should I hear much of an improvement? Of course atmos will help with the overall sound field but not sure i'll get much more bang for my money. Meaning atmos is a fairly expensive upgrade if it's the only added benefit that I hear.

2, assuming I left out atmos, would a power amp be a better for my LX55? Don't know much about power amps but the lx55 has pre outs.

Given I am a novice when it comes to expanding or upgrading I am looking for general guidance, basically I have the upgrade itch but no clue what to do.. so Its now down to me spending some money on my AVR upgrade or the wife goes shopping again...

Look forward to any guidance people have.
Spending $1500 on a receiver just for Atmos, when its not that much content right now, doesn't seem like a smart way to spend your money. You should have upgraded your speakers if they are not designed to withstand what you intend to throw at them and then move on to the receiver.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone can do what he wants with his money. The OP opted to replace his receiver for a better performing product.

The Monitor Audio RX6s are decent speakers and he can get an SPL of at least 105dB at his listening position with them. I agree with his decision to get a better receiver. His first impressions were that the Marantz sounded much better overall.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Spending $1500 on a receiver just for Atmos, when its not that much content right now, doesn't seem like a smart way to spend your money. You should have upgraded your speakers if they are not designed to withstand what you intend to throw at them and then move on to the receiver.
The DTS neural x is pretty impressive and worth the upgrade alone.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Thanks Peng, I make sure the crossover is set to that level.

Great forums, great advice. Thanks again.
I think you made an excellent choice. Don’t worry about buying too much. I doubt you will find yourself saying “this receiver has too many functions”. Now I’ll bet you’re tempted to roll out your sleeping bag in front of it tonight.

L

LondonStan

Enthusiast
Yep, I am very happy. sounds better all round and given I paid £850 for the Marantz and managed to get £280 for my old pioneer It's been a great purchase.

Appreaciate comment re speakers, when I upgrade speakers (maybe next year) it will be a much higher purchase and not something I buy with left over money from my monthly pay check.

Thanks again folks.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Yep, I am very happy. sounds better all round and given I paid £850 for the Marantz and managed to get £280 for my old pioneer It's been a great purchase.

Appreaciate comment re speakers, when I upgrade speakers (maybe next year) it will be a much higher purchase and not something I buy with left over money from my monthly pay check.

Thanks again folks.
You are giving yourself some time before you buy speakers, so now you have opportunity to shop for them. Go Revel!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis